What's The Latest Model Year CJ 7 With NO MICROCHIPS of Any Kind? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What's The Latest Model Year CJ 7 With NO MICROCHIPS of Any Kind?

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 03-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
John,

WTH are you doing awake at 3AM????? Grammar...."1976 to 1977 HAS a Prestolite ignition system", since there are still 1976 and 1977 CJs on the road.
No, mine HAD a Prestolite ignition. Now it resides in the dustbin of history.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromegrille View Post
Make it 1975 and prior then.
No electronic nothing.
Better go back to the "generator years". Those pesky alternators have diode rectifiers and internal regulators and such stuff.
Unread 03-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
gary c
1981 CJ5 

I have an 81 CJ5, built in 81 and registered as an 81 in the wonderful state if California, that has a computer and a computer controled carb. It is a pain to find parts and if the computer fails I may be up a creek.
gary c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

On an 82 you had an idle speed control box, which is as close as it got to a computer. In 83 they went to the underdash computer modules. That is, in the free world outside of Comifornia!
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

1982 was the last year for no computer, 1983 models got a computer and depending on where it was sold may have had some controls on the carb also (seems to be a split year) but it's easy to remove all of that on the later models. If you don't want electronic ignition you have to go back into the mid-1970s but that gets you into the old points-style ignitions and the narrow track axles. I think but electronic ignition is ok.

If your a prepper like a friend of mine and worried about an EMP for Solar Flair which is what your question kinda makes it sound like, then get you a 1981-up with the wide-track axles, if it's a 1983 or later remove the computer via the nutter by-pass which will remove the computer and any sensors and electronics on the engine, then do the team rush ignition upgrade and distributor upgrade and find the thread on here by JeepHammer about adding extra ground wires to everything. After that all you are left with is the ignition control module, which you want to keep. You don't really want to deal with a model with the old points-style ignition. The ICM for the ignition is relatively stable, especially if you follow JeepHammers instructions for adding extra ground wires to it, and make sure the case is grounded as well. Then if you want to be extra protected just carry a spare ICM that is not plugged in to power that you can switch to if your main one goes out, they are only about $30 and there are plenty of places on the Jeep to keep a spare (or two if your really paranoid) mounted.

Just be aware that if you try to register it in California (remember; Texas claims to be like a whole other country but California thinks they ARE a whole other country) or another state where they are really strict on emissions and do not allow modifications that it may not pass the inspection. In most states (including MS where your tag says your from) your fine with this.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #21
WLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by macscal View Post
Sounds like the o.p. wants an EMP proof jeep.
Bingo!!
WLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #22
CSP

You can take a later model CJ that only has an electronic ignition module and swap a '72-74 points distributor into it.

I think your chances of points going to crap are more likely than EMP, but there's another option for you.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #23
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

or just keep a points distributor with you and a quick change dongle to bypass the ICM for when the $h!t hits the fan which is better than relying on it 24/7. Also keep it marked so you can get a round about timing set on the first drop in and the corresponding wrench for the bolt.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
You can take a later model CJ that only has an electronic ignition module and swap a '72-74 points distributor into it.

I think your chances of points going to crap are more likely than EMP, but there's another option for you.

Oh defiantly, and an Ignition Module when unplugged from power is EMP and Solar Flare safe. They have older style solid state modules in them, not modern computer chips. Heck, I'm not even sure an EMP would damage an ICM even that was plugged into power unless it was at ground zero to the detonation. But in either event, just carry a spare ICM that is not plugged into power. Be a heck of a lot more reliable than points. If your super paranoid wrap your spare ICM up in tinfoil and tape it up, put it in one of those water proof baggies, suck out the air as you close it, and carry it inside the Jeep somewhere. If an EMP or Solar Flare event goes off and IF the ICM that is plugged into the Jeep does happen to go down (unlikely based on its technology) then you pull out your spare, plug it in without even mounting it (put a couple of long zip ties in the baggy you keep it in), and your back on the road in about 45 seconds, 30 if your fast. Once your up the road a bit and somewhere safe you can stop and actually bolt down the new module. If your a hard-core prepper, buy several spare ICM's. Keep one or two in the Jeep and a few more back at your home base. New ones are $30 each and good uses ones from a Junkyard are $5 so get as many as you can afford vs. how much extra security you want to have. If you think the world will go to hell and you may have to keep the Jeep running as your main vehicle for an extended period of time (years) then get a number of spares.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #25
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

In the event of an EMP disaster, I think my CJ would be the least of my concerns.

My horses would probably earn their keep, however.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #26
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

First year CJ with no nano-technology....anyone?
Offroaddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #27
WLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post

Oh defiantly, and an Ignition Module when unplugged from power is EMP and Solar Flare safe. They have older style solid state modules in them, not modern computer chips. Heck, I'm not even sure an EMP would damage an ICM even that was plugged into power unless it was at ground zero to the detonation. But in either event, just carry a spare ICM that is not plugged into power. Be a heck of a lot more reliable than points. If your super paranoid wrap your spare ICM up in tinfoil and tape it up, put it in one of those water proof baggies, suck out the air as you close it, and carry it inside the Jeep somewhere. If an EMP or Solar Flare event goes off and IF the ICM that is plugged into the Jeep does happen to go down (unlikely based on its technology) then you pull out your spare, plug it in without even mounting it (put a couple of long zip ties in the baggy you keep it in), and your back on the road in about 45 seconds, 30 if your fast. Once your up the road a bit and somewhere safe you can stop and actually bolt down the new module. If your a hard-core prepper, buy several spare ICM's. Keep one or two in the Jeep and a few more back at your home base. New ones are $30 each and good uses ones from a Junkyard are $5 so get as many as you can afford vs. how much extra security you want to have. If you think the world will go to hell and you may have to keep the Jeep running as your main vehicle for an extended period of time (years) then get a number of spares.
Good advice. I'm not a hard core prepper. But I decided that if I'm going to do this Jeep thing, then I want one without a computer that would be likely to continue to operate if exposed to EMP.

No one REALLY knows what would happen in the event of a massive exposure to EMP, so I know that I can't really be "EMP proof", but I'd like to know that I have a reasonable chance at having an operating vehicle should one occur.
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #28
WLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
In the event of an EMP disaster, I think my CJ would be the least of my concerns.

My horses would probably earn their keep, however.

Matt
If I had horses and/or the means to properly care for them facilities and time wise they'd be my preference too.
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #29
WLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroaddaddy View Post
First year CJ with no nano-technology....anyone?
Make fun all you want.

I'm just trying to learn about CJ's from those far more knowledgeable on the topic.

Feel free to ignore my ridiculous posts in the future, Offroaddaddy!!
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #30
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Lol, relax
Offroaddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.