What's a good way to determine CJ value? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What's a good way to determine CJ value?

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
flashstang04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What's a good way to determine CJ value?

I have had everything but a CJ and am looking at one currently. It's a 75 CJ5. Small lift with great tires. Runs and drives great. New paint, etc. Odo shows 85k so more than likely 185k I would think. 4.2 liter.

So I see CJs from $2000 to $8000 and would just like a good way to judge the value. It seems to be more varied than YJs and TJs, etc.

Here is a pic as it sits today.

d66dd3a0.jpg   c24536c3.jpg  
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The best way to determine value is to stick a "For Sale" sign on it and see what kind of offers you get.

As a buyer, I'd be leery of what's under that fresh paint. And the tires look too big for the lift, to me. I suspect they rub at full flex.

I like the general appearance of it, but there just doesn't appear to be anything special about the condition, or the build. I'd say you'd be doing well to get $3-4K out of it.

Take it for what it's worth.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
flashstang04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I am actually looking to buy one though and this one is in the $4000-4500 range. If it's a fair price I'll probably move on it.
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
CJ7Sasquatch
1979 CJ7 

Crawl under and look at the metal, especially where panels meet and body meets panels, look up in the rear wheel wheels where the roll bar is bolted and look for rot, check gauges, electric, and steering for pull or swerve. Make sure you put it in 4x4. If all looks good go for it just go over it, there's always a surprise or two on a thirty year old vehicle
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
this one is in the $4000-4500 range.
That's way too much for an early 5 in that condition.
Now if it was a cleaner rust free west coast Jeep up in the rust belt,
Then it might be priced right.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
84scrambler
1984 CJ8 

That looks like just a plain CJ-5 with questionable value. The paint job looks fairly new and done in a hurry. It looks like it just got taped off and sprayed which would make me question the quality of whats going on under the paint. Most everything looks stock, with perhaps a mild lift.

The biggest things you want to look at is what kind of rust does it have, check the usually places, floor pan, frame body mount areas, by the rear hangers. Check the suspension and steering hardware, tie-rods, bushings, and ball joints. Any huge leaks coming out of the steering box, engine, tranny or transfercase. Does it have a full top and doors? All of this stuff adds up.

I see CJ7's for 3-4k without a top and doors and ****ty tires. Those three items alone can easily set you back 2k so it really depends on what you want out of the vehicle and how much it will cost you to bring it up to a reliable rig.
84scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

It's priced @ $4,500 with mismatched seats.
Maybe he thinks the diamond plate dash patch has the same value as real diamonds
I know, The keys are a $2,500 option
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
flashstang04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. As far as the paint it does look like it was done in a hurry. I know it's at least a year old though. Mechanically it drives really well. It made a trip to Amarillo Tuesday. The floor pans have been patched so I know that there were problems at some point. There aren't any doors or a top. I'll check out the roll bar attachments.
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
1984CJ
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
There aren't any doors or a top.
Or wipers, or door hinges. What else is missing or jury rigged?
Originally Posted by ftdranger
You guys on the CJ tech page are a little to tech for me. Must be the leaf springs.
1984CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
My83andMe
1983 CJ7 

I've gatta agree the tire do look to big for the lift. I'd check for tire rub in a turn from wheel stop to wheel stop as well. It does look nice with room to personalize it to you. Just be sure to put it through all the gears and try 4wd. Check linkage and wiring. And maybe even run it in for a quick compression test to make sure things on the inside are good to go. Honestly I wish I would Have on my 83 4.2
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks. I am actually looking to buy one though and this one is in the $4000-4500 range. If it's a fair price I'll probably move on it.
Sorry, I read your original post too fast.

As mentioned, take a hard look at the underside for evidence of rot, especially the frame.

When you schedule to test drive it, ask the owner to avoid starting it for few hours before you get there. That way you can check for proper operation of the carb/choke on a cold start. Pull a couple of plugs and check for fouling, or evidence of ignition problems.

Obviously, any grinding as you run thru the gears should be a warning sign, both in 2WD and 4WD. Lifted CJs are notorious for wandering all over the road if they aren't setup appropriately, so pay close attention to how well it tracks and returns to center on a turn. Watch for any smoke coming out the tailpipe, especially when you get on it a little.

Hope this helps.

Matt
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

The easiest way I know of to determine the value of anything is to watch similar things sell on ebay for a couple of weeks. The selling prices of similar items on ebay are remarkably stable.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

foggy,

I love the pic you use for an avatar, but I pucker up every time I look at it.

Matt
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

It's in Texas? Take price, divide by 2.3. That is the actual value in the rest of the United States.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Try finding a clean one in ohio guys around here ask 5000 for anything that doesnt have visual holes in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.