whats the difference? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > whats the difference?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
thenubsterman

whats the difference?

whats the difference between manifold and port vacuum

thenubsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Manifold vacuum is taken BELOW the carb and is constant. Port vacuum is variable and controlled by the carb (taken off of the carb itself).

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
algmmech
1974 CJ5 

Manifold vacuum is actually a port that is below the throttle plate with the throttle closed. Port vacuum is a port that is above the throttle plate with the throttle closed. There is vacuum below the throttle plate and as the throttle is opened the port vacuum port is uncovered to allow vacuum at that port. Vacuum will vary with engine load and throttle position. There should be no vacuum at the port vacuum source at idle.

I'm a member of PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals
algmmech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
thenubsterman

ahh i c i c, i realize vacuum changes with the position of the throttle plates i just didn't know the difference between the two. so you only have vacuum on port side when u start opening throttle plates because the ports are opened up?>
thenubsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Oily
1985 CJ7 

I am gonna say that my beliefs are that different ports will give you different port vacuum readings. Some are more aggressive. Throttle position being equal.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Ported vacuum sucks with the throttle pedal, more pedal, more vacuum, no pedal, no vacuum.

Manifold vacuum sucks with the throttle closed, less vacuum as the throttle opens with the most when the throttle is closed.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
algmmech
1974 CJ5 

That is not true, vacuum varies. Manifold vacuum is greater than port with the throttle closed, but will decrease with the engine under load and be at zero at WOT. Port vacuum will also decrease under load or WOT, but will depend on how far up in the throttle bore the opening is. The closer to the venturi the vacuum will be greater. Port vacuum right at the venturi will become greater with throttle opening, but that is actualy called venturi vacuum. Part throttle going up a hill under good load port vacuum will probably be zero or close to that. That is the same as with manifold vacuum.

I'm a member of PETA.

Unread 02-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by algmmech View Post
That is not true, vacuum varies. Manifold vacuum is greater than port with the throttle closed,
All vacuum varies...

With the throttle closed in a Carter BBD, there is no ported vacuum at all.

I haven't run with a gauge hooked up to see the variations but the BBD seems to hold a steady ramp in the port vacuum. My timing doesn't 'back off' as I increase rpm when sitting at least.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I copied this from an article that lots of people tend to use when swapping the carter to an mc2100.. I didn't write it, I take no credit!

---

Understanding Types of Vacuum

YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THIS!!!!!!!

There are two types of vacuum pull that you will need to understand. They are “ported” vacuum and “manifold” vacuum. It is EXTREMELY important to know what type of vacuum source each port is pulling, and to know and understand which vacuum source is needed for each device. Example: Your distributor advance needs ported vacuum. The ported vacuum pull advances your distributor timing as you accelerate. If by chance you tie into manifold vacuum by mistake (and properly adjust your timing) you will actually retard your timing as you accelerate. This is BAD by the way and you will be very sluggish off the line and at WOT.

Ported Vacuum

Ported vacuum is drawn in when the throttle is opened up. This draw is increased as more air is sucked into your air through cleaner and down through the venturis. Ported vacuum is highest at W.O.T. and lowest (or non-existent) at idle. You will have almost no vacuum pull at idle with ported vacuum unless you have moderately high idle speeds..

Manifold Vacuum

Manifold vacuum is drawn when your throttle is closed or at idle to very low driving speeds/RPM’s. This is everything under the carb. It is highest at idle and lowest at W.O.T.

Checking Vacuum Type

The easiest way to check vacuum ports and telling what type of vacuum they are drawing is to start the engine with the vacuum ports capped off and uncap them one at a time. Once you uncap the port, touch the opening with your finger (at idle) if it sucks on your finger tip it is probably manifold vacuum. Increase to full throttle, the suction should dissipate. If the vacuum is ported, it should have little to no suction at idle and should start to draw respectable suction as acceleration is increased. Ported vacuum will reach peak suction at W.O.T

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
algmmech
1974 CJ5 

The above description is very incorrect. Manifold vacuum is high at idle and should increase as the throttle is opened with the engine under no load (as in neutral). This increase in vacuum will start to drop as the throttle is opened farther. Seeing the increase in vacuum with rpm increase is a good test of an unrestricted exhaust. With the engine under slight load manifold vacuum will be slightly lower as in cruising down the highway. Heavy load almost no vacuum to zero. The statement above about manifold vacuum retarding timing is rediculous.

Port vacuum will be zero at idle, unless idle speed is too high. Port vacuum will act almost exactly as manifold vacuum, increases with throttle opening under no load. Port vacuum will drop under load, and should be close to no vacuum at WOT. You do not want vacuum advance at WOT or under heavy load. This will cause detonation. If vacuum was that linear as stated above why would you need it to advance the timing. The mechanical advance would do the same thing. Another item that is hooked up to port vacuum in EGR, We don't want EGR opening at idle, perfect function for port vacuum, we also don't want the EGR opening at WOT when we need the extra power. Also look at racing distributers, they don't have vacuum advances (at least the ones I remember), know why? No vacuum at wide open throttle.

I hope this helps, and anyone who doesn't believe me hook up a vacuum gauge and drive, test one at manifold vacuum and one at port vacuum. I've been doing this for almost 30 years and the vacuum gauge used to be my favorite diagnostic tool.

I'm a member of PETA.

Unread 02-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

This is a good thread, maybe a moderator could change/add to the title to describe the topic for future use if need be.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

algemech,
I am not dissagreeing with you in any way but if that is the case then why do we have vacuum advance on the distributer if the timing did not need to be advanced as RPM's get higher? I definetly want to know more about this.
Unread 02-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavSilvrCJ View Post
algemech,
I am not dissagreeing with you in any way but if that is the case then why do we have vacuum advance on the distributer if the timing did not need to be advanced as RPM's get higher? I definetly want to know more about this.
Timing does need to be advanced as RPM's increase, but when you get near WOT and/or heavy load, the vacuum drops off. The mechanical advance is only reliant on RPM.

I agree with algmmech with everything except the part about the vacuum increase at the manifold port as the throttle just starts to open, then the vacuum decreases when throttle is increased. But then again, I drive with a heavy foot and have no reason not to believe him. I do a lot of tuning with a vac gauge as well.

Quote:
Example: Your distributor advance needs ported vacuum. The ported vacuum pull advances your distributor timing as you accelerate. If by chance you tie into manifold vacuum by mistake (and properly adjust your timing) you will actually retard your timing as you accelerate.
This is BS. Vacuum is vacuum, the level of vacuum and how it plays out in relation to the throttle is the only thing different. There are people that run manifold a vacuum source instead of ported to the dizzy and have no ill effects. Manifold vacuum will not "retard your timing", you just will have a different amount of spark advance. I've done it and to be honest, didn't notice much in the way of performance gain or loss as a result. Some engine performance people will specifically tell you to run manifold vacuum. Try it.

You can look at it like this. The manifold port reads it's maximum at idle and will decrease under load or throttle opening at a somewhat proportionate rate (as long as load remains constant) until it reads next to nothing at WOT. Ported vacuum will read zero at idle (or it should unless the idle is too high). When the vacuum plates open but not a lot of load (read higher RPM with only partially open throttle plates), vacuum becomes present and is at a fairly substantial level. When load increase (read low RPM, open throttle plates) or the RPM's increase with no load, the vacuum level starts to drop off. At WOT, again, near zero vacuum.

When plotted out, the manifold source will start off at 100% and slowly taper to zero, fairly linear and predictable. The ported source will start at zero, rise to it's peak under partial throttle and no load, the taper back off again and will look more like a bell curve.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

OK, basically the manifold goes down as throttle goes up and I am assuming the ported hits the peak of the "bell curve" when the engine makes peak Hp then drops off as the Hp drops off at higher RPM's.
Is that about the gist of it?
Unread 02-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #15
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

So what is a stock 258 vacuum advance hooked to? Ported or manifold?
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.