what's the best way to price the value of a CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > what's the best way to price the value of a CJ7

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani

Unread 06-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
UKCJ7
1980 CJ7 

what's the best way to price the value of a CJ7

I have a 1980 CJ7 V8, currently at 130,500 miles, automatic transmission with black hard top and doors.
Original white paint w/ the Laredo (beige colored) logo/pin stripping and CJ7 plate.

Everything on this jeep is pretty much stock. I had the transmission rebuilt about 8 years ago.
Lifters and/or valves will need some possible work, but other than that the engine runs fine.
I use it for light commuting (hence the low mileage) and it hasn't been off-road.

I redid the interior of the jeep. Line-X all inside with the driver side needing to be Line-X again after the brake master
cylinder leaked fluid for the second time (!!). It has black carpeting, new passenger seat, black dashboard (formerly
beige). I have flame-printed seat covers and the roll over bars will need to have their foam covers replaced (dried out)

Overall a pretty special CJ7 (like most of them) and sadly I may have to sell her after 10.5 years together.
I'm the 3rd owner of the vehicle.
I look to be moving out of state by the end of August. I'll be looking for someone who will take care of her and is
a CJ7 enthusiast. Based in Los Angeles, Calif. it is current with smog and registered until 1/2012

What is the best way to value my CJ7?? I was thinking about $7000, but after looking here it looks more like under
$5500. If so, can anyone explain why the low value on these jeeps? Has the economy "devalued" the jeeps?

Any questions please contact me.

UKCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Pics? Try ebay as a rust free Ca. Jeep to try and get the most mula. Also look on craigs list in the area you are moving to may be worth more there.
Unread 06-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

I think you have a pretty good handle on the pricing. $7000 would be the high end, turn key, but things like have to re-Line X and valve issues will lower this number. I would say any rust free complete Jeep is worth $5000, but you didn't say rust free, is it? The automatic may add value, not for me, but there are some that got to have it. The V8 will certainly add value to the $5000 number.

I bought a rust free California Jeep 8-10 years ago with great paint and 49k miles for $6000. If I was to value it today it would be $7500 - $8000 I think.

I think if you re Line X it and repair the valve issue (seals or valve job) so you can look someone in the eye when selling you might hit your number.

Additionally, your Jeep is worth more to us in the rust belt than it is to guys in LA. So if you try to sell it nationally, take plenty of good pictures of the underneath showing the rust free condition. NOTHING WORST THAN WATCHING YOUR BABY TURN INTO A PILE OF RUST IN THE DRIVEWAY!
bkeese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
UKCJ7
1980 CJ7 

bkeese and r08ert209cali.. thanks for the reply.
I'll try to add a few more photos, but you're limited in the file size/amount here. I have 1-2 photos of my CJ7.

I don't have the extra funds to invest in putting another big job into the jeep. So I will be taking that into
consideration. As far I my eye can see the CJ7 looks to be rust free. Before the LineX I personally spent weeks sanding off any surface rust to prep for the LineX. A great job until the brake fluid leaked, I believe to re-LineX
the area it would cost about $150-$200. Had it re-LineX a few years ago.

I know a few people speaking about how they like the V8 automatic, but I'm guessing this would be more for collectors then for off-roading.

I'm looking to move to SE Florida close to ocean, so finding someone in that area to buy her may be hard.
Sea salt +water = corrosion?

If anyone reading this is interested and/or can provide more insight I'd greatly appreciate it. Not to thrilled about this possibility of selling her.
Unread 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

pics (lots) really... anything else is (haphazzard) speculation at best...

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Just take it with you. Cruising by the beach with just the bikini top and no doors ahhh life is good. Can not cost more than a grand to ship it. Maybe look on pirate 4x4 and see if someone is going that way already.
Unread 06-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
UKCJ7
1980 CJ7 

r08ert209cali... ahh stop tempting me! My situation with the jeep is a hard one to handle.
As my move may be long term or temporary (less than a year). I would take the CJ in a heartbeat
but currently don't have the funds both to ship her AND to move.

I'm looking to head out around late August which will come sooner than I know.
Earlier in the year I put up a post about possibly driving the CJ cross-country for the move, but I decided
against it as I calculated gas costs, lodging, etc. would be far more expensive and risky being a older vehicle.

Does anyone have reliable references of shipping companies?
I was quoted about $900-$1200

My dilemma is the cost of shipping the CJ7 vs. selling the CJ vs. my relocating costs.
I've very limited funds and need to invest properly so I don't put myself in dire situation when I arrive.
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCJ7 View Post
Does anyone have reliable references of shipping companies?...I was quoted about $900-$1200

My dilemma is the cost of shipping the CJ7 vs. selling the CJ vs. my relocating costs...
have you looked into how much it would cost just to store it for a year???

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

it depends on where you live, that jeep being a 1980 in good shape not mint would sell for 2800-3500 around here mint show room shape about 4500-6000. when you start getting into the prices of newer vehicle with less miles, thats about it. I got a 81 cj7 6 cyl auto matic. good but not great, I be lucky get 2000 for
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

As the CJ is way beyond blue book coverage, and is a very Niche type vehicle, I thnk it falls down to what the market will be willing to pay as opposed to having some scale to point to. I have seen some emotional buys on items that the purchaser paid top dollar for because they 'just had to have it' and the cost was acceptable to them. As stated, each area has their own price tollerance and that will be based on cultural desire, availability, needs, and no two locations will be exactly the same as to what is 'acceptable' pricing. I would suggest you market it using the highest comparable priced vehicles in your target market and adjust downwards as required to find the sweet spot. Just keep in mind, it will never command the price of the sum of all parts and labor invested, but it is a desireable vehicle to many, and getting very hard to find un-molested, rust free jeeps - which is very important to folks looking to preserve or restore as opposed to those looking to highly modify, so I would focus my description more towards the formers instead of the latters.

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
have you looked into how much it would cost just to store it for a year???

Hoss
I would probablly be able to work out a deal to store it for a year. I just picked up a 1500 sqft shop to work on Jeeps.

Pm me if you are interested. And we can see what we can work out.
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

How are you getting the rest of your belongings to Florida, U-Haul or shipping? Do you have another vehicle? What is it? Certainly not a pickup, correct?

If you are driving across country with your belongings in a pickup or U-Haul, then flat tow the Jeep. Bolt a $100 tow bar to the bumper, knock the transfer case into neutral and go. I bought a Super Jeep in Illinois and took a front bumper with a tow bar and extra tire (in case of a blow out) and towed it 1000 miles home. Only incident, muffler fell off, thanks goodness for an 18 volt Dewalt sawsall.

It sounds like you love this Jeep, easy to do, then don't go down without a fight. Find a way to take it. It would be hard to replace later. Rust free Jeeps are a dieing breed.
bkeese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #13
UKCJ7
1980 CJ7 

Apologies in the delay. My laptop has been problematic and sending this reply via my cell. Robert could you PM me what you charge to store the CJ for over 6 mos.

I was looking on CraigsL. for a general price in the LA area. Between high 4K- low 6K. I think I fit right in between.

Honesty, I'm looking to make this transition
as less difficult as possible. I'm self-employed and currently with no steady income So if I have to sell her to make relocating a true reality then I will have to. It's not an easy decision. sniff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.