Whats the best way to clean the underbody - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Whats the best way to clean the underbody

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
tmholland
1980 CJ5 

Whats the best way to clean the underbody

I am working on cleaning up the underside of my cj5, I have grease, oil and dirt build up that I would like to remove. After doing this I would like to repair any rust areas (whats the best thing to use), then I would like to coat the under side

tmholland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

Probably easier ways but I hand-scraped the muck, cleaned the rest of the grease off with rags and mineral spirits, then wire-wheeled the whole thing. Gave my drill a real work out.
1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
aufan
1986 CJ7 

I am in e process of tearing apart a axle. I used brake cleaner and a wire wheel. The wire wheel works fast and really cuts down the old layers of crud.
aufan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
kappa505
1980 CJ5 

Dollar store oven cleaner.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Supposedly President Coolidge
kappa505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Dmed77
1966 CJ5 

I am in the process cleaning up my undercarriage, had lots of surface rust, grease and grime buildup. I applied a degreaser, then power wash, now I am using a drill (with a wire wheel attachment) and a grinder with wire wheel and hitting everything from the frame to differentials. After I get all the surface rust off I am thinking about using the KBS rustseal product and painting it.
Dmed77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Creek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.