Whats the Basics? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Whats the Basics?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-26-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
b0b

Whats the Basics?

i hear that alot of stuff commonly go wrong with CJ's like guages and such, are they any other things that are common with them? Are they known to do things or have things happen that have to be replaced?

b0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
jeepmor

bellhousing back needs replacement

80s Jeeps in general have a tendency to catch fire due to lousy wiring harness tape from the factory. All the drivetrains in all SWB jeeps are underbuilt and will need eventual replacement if you have the gumption to put 35" tires on them and wheel the piss out of it.

Mine caught on fire in 95, so this aspect I know from experience. And my stock model20 rear end bent once I put my 35" tires on it and added some abusive wheeling venues. My front end was bent and I replaced it with a D44, so it's solid now. Working on a plan for the model 20 now.

The 258 motors last forever and a day, but BBD carbs suck pretty bad. If you just want a jeep for the occasional off-pavement excursion, you're fine. The old T-5 trannies in them were undersized, but that 5th gear was nice. I seized mine up solid after a wheeling trip and opted for the T-18. Moves like a tractor now, but does awesome in the woods, but really a lil slow for the freeway.

However, they are the coolest looking SWB jeep ever made! If your in it for a hobby, it's great. If you want it for a daily driver, expect some issues, they are all in their 20's or close for age now. I never get a car that old that doesn't seem to have at least some baggage.

jeepmor
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
b0b

i was looking at a 76 CJ5, do they have the same issues as the 80's?
b0b is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.