What year jeep? HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What year jeep? HELP

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Jeepman99

What year jeep? HELP

Well ive never had a jeep, but I think I want a older CJ type jeep.. (I think)

I want to spend maybe 5,000 to $6,500 tops.

I want this jeep to look and 4x4 nicely, nothing extreme. I want to start out with a basic non lifted stock jeep and put nice tires and rims and a body/sus lift on it maybe followed by a nice paint job and a roll cage.

Mind you im very "green" in what year jeeps are good and what are not, so my questions are. What year should I go with? what cyl should I get? v6 or v8?

Is it all personal preference? or are there actual year jeeps to stay away from?

Im hoping I can build the jeep I want for the price I want to pay. Can you guys help me get started here?

Jeepman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
thebeast77

This is my 77 cj7 and bought it for 5k, even thought it didnt run i bought it because there is virtually no rust on the body and it only took 3 days and about $200 to get her runnin good. My personal preference jeep wise are the older models because there isnt as much electrical mumbo jumbo and they have real off road potential without major up grades all mine has is a 3" body lift and 33x12.50's on it. Well there is my opinion if u have any more questions feel free to ask.
thebeast77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
TX JEEP CJ7

I say go with the models that have power steering. Yeah, you could do a conversion if it didn't have it; but why?? The vacuum is a pain in the a$$ but you can bypass all of that easily.

I have an '86 Laredo.
TX JEEP CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
1979CJ7
1979 CJ7 

i have been told to stay away from the CJ5 for insurance reasons. my insurance company wouldnt insure me if i got a 5. they said the 7 was fine but the 5 had a tendency to flip more easily. i have a 79 CJ7 with a 4 inch lift and love it. i also dont think you will really find one too stock that isnt refinished. might get one close. i paid 4k for mine with a lot of mods on it
1979CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
MeCasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepman99
Is it all personal preference? or are there actual year jeeps to stay away from?
I've heard people have problems with the yellow ones
Unread 06-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
famicom21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa
What have you got against yellow jeeps?!?!

From my experience I would get something with an inline 6 cylinder, easy to work on, loads of low end torque, and you get to write stuff like this: 258 I6 4.2 (makes me feel smart to rattle off numbers )
I've got an 86 cj7 which i bought for $750 - needed a clutch (so really about $850), see my sig. for a pic.
Good luck, and welcome to the family.
Unread 06-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #7
thebeast77

i got a lucky find with my 77, it has factory power stearing and factory power brakes and A/C but its out of freon and im gonna do a onboard air conversion. You just have to shop around and be pateint and dont pounce on a old beater thats being sold for 500 bucks with out thinkin it through. Remeber no matter how perfect a jeep looks once u buy it and have it for a few months you will find a whole list of things that dont work right or that need to be modified.
thebeast77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
TheJunkMan2005
1988 YJ Wrangler 

get a 1980.. Good year, not a lot of emissions crap, plenty of options, decent all around jeep. You can get it with power steering and power brakes too. Only downfall is the narrow trac rear axle.

I loved my 80 CJ5 with the iron duke GM151, SR4, and D300 transfer case. I could get over 20mpg, the 4 lo was awesome, and it was small and nimble enough for getting around tight places.

Right now I'm rebuilding a 1983ish CJ7, it's bigger and all, but with the trails around my house, I'd rather do a CJ5..

Len
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
You may be on to something there. My Jeep is not yellow and I haven't had any problems.
tomthbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
famicom21

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthbomb
You may be on to something there. My Jeep is not yellow and I haven't had any problems.
You guys are just out to make an enemy....
Unread 06-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #11
DailyDrvn5
2010 JK Wrangler 

I like 19170-80 as well. Good years with good options. Not much emissions crap either. Check with your insurance company on the CJ-5 deal. I have state farm and they dont question my CJ-5 or our CJ-7. CJ-5 are awesome rigs but they are small. If your are tall or big, i'd get a 7. If you ever want to have any people in the back seat definitly get a CJ-5.

In your price range you could depending on your market, get a very nice rig.

-Blake

94 YJ, 95 YJ, 80 CJ-5
DailyDrvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.