What year is this Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What year is this Jeep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Randn918

What year is this Jeep?

Hey Fella's, first let me say hello. I'm new here. I love Jeeps but sold mine when I had a baby. Now I've been dying to get another, but I think I want to just get one to use on the ranch (in place of an ATV). Here's the deal:

1) I'm embarking on a rebuild of a CJ5! A friend of mine located one that's exactly what I'm looking for. But it's in a barn in a snowpacked area. Inaccesable for retrieval until spring. All we know is it's a CJ5. See the pics.

2) Is there a way to tell the year from these pics? I am trying to find as much info. about this model of jeep as I can before I get it. He said he thinks it's an early 80's make.

3) If you can tell what year it is, did they make 4X4's that year? I can only find RWD trannys for early 80's CJ5. If it's not 4 X 4, is it a big deal to make it so.

I know nothing about rebuilding jeeps, but I have several friends that are fairly decent mechanics that say they could do it. One wants to put a chevy 350 engine in it and find a tranny that will match it. The other guy says just take whats in it and rebuild it to stock specs. It will be basically used as a beater around the ranch for hunting and carrying feed. Just going to sand blast the rust, patch any holes, cover it all in rhino lining and cover the seats. But I want it mechanically reliable.
My budget is about $4000. I dont know if this is realistic or not but if I have to spend more than that, I may as well just buy a new ATV.
THANKS Guy's....any help or insight for this newbie is truly appreciated I'M PSYCHED, can't wait for spring!!!!
016-small-.jpg

018-small-.jpg

017-small-.jpg
020new-small-.jpg

Randn918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Renegade79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

based on the lights and winshield, i'd say early 70's. i believe 71 or 72 they lengthened the fenders, and you look to have the longer fenders. the windshield hooks on the inside look like they could have either been added, or if original not something from the 80's vintage CJ's. the windshield wiper motor on the outside of the windshield is also a sign of an older model.

post these pics over at earlycj5.com and see what those guys have to say. i'm sure they'll have a good idea about the year.
Renegade79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

That's a '72 through '75 model year CJ5. The build month will be located on that yellow and black sticker off to the left side of the dash. I think I see headers in the one pic, so possibly going to have a 304/T15/D20 drivetrain, D30 front and D44 rear with 30 spline flanged, 11" manual drums all the way around, manual saginaw steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randn918 View Post
...did they make 4X4's that year?
Sorry, but that's funny right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randn918 View Post
My budget is about $4000.
No way you're going to be able to farm out engine swaps or body work or rhino lining and stay under that kind of budget. You really just need to dig in and get your hands dirty if you want it to be an economical hobby.

Last edited by jayhawkclint; 01-09-2009 at 10:45 PM..
jayhawkclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
Randn918

Thanks for the info guys. I plan to do the body work and rhino lining myself. The only thing I need to farm out is the engine rebuild/swap.
Randn918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
cj7jeepp

With a budget of $4000 I think I might just buy one that is ready to rock and roll. You are looking at extensive work to keep this Jeep under $4000. If you really want to rebuild one, then I would probly find one in a little better condition?......just a thought.....and in that first picture are those golf balls on a String???? Good ole Ladder Ball, or up in the east coast we like to call it Testicle Toss. Fun game!!!!!!!! Lastly, Did they ever make a CJ5 Cj7 2WD? I know I built one myself that was 2WD for gettin grocerys, but I dont think they came stock.
cj7jeepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

engine rebuild will probably cost around 2 grand....tranny around $900 I think. looks like fun
Unread 01-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #7
kyle_bob
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7jeepp View Post
and in that first picture are those golf balls on a String???? Good ole Ladder Ball, or up in the east coast we like to call it Testicle Toss. Fun game!!!!!!!!
where i come from in so. il. we call that hillbilly golf!
Unread 01-10-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
Saltydawg1
1983 CJ7 

For your intended goal/use of the vehicle and a budget of 4000 I'd look for nice used one in good shape instead of trying to rebuild a rotten one. You can buy these things already done for way less money than the owner put into them.
Find one with a good frame, solid tub, and motor with some life left in it ... easily done for well under 4 grand if you shop around a bit. Then you can tinker with the details to make it suit your purpose.

Be careful when you're shopping though. Some people are pretty good at hiding rust and driveline problems.
Saltydawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I echo what Salty says. That CJ is going to need a tremendous amount of body work, not to mention other things that rot from sitting outside like brakelines and gaskets. I wouldn't even think about driveline swaps until you got it working stock, that alone might eat up your budget. FYI, 72-75 CJ's are harder to find parts for than 76 and up.

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.