What year did stock CJ start having Disk breaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What year did stock CJ start having Disk breaks

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
highfavor1004

What year did stock CJ start having Disk breaks

I have a 1960 CJ5 I have recently bought a complete front rear axle set up. The front axle is a passenger side deferential. When I bought the Jeep, The jeep had a passenger side deferential danna 30 in it. The pinion bearing gave out causing a bunch of damage. So instead of rebuilding the axle I went out and bought another complete set of axles. everything matched up on the front axle beside the fact it had disk breaks instead of drum. I have installed the axle now underneath my jeep. I am trying to hook the break lines but the fitting on the rubber hose that goes in the caliber is different then the one that goes into the drum. My thought is I will just find out the year that they converted from drum to disc and i should be about to buy the hose and fitting set up from auto zone.

If I am wrong please correct me and help me get this old girl back out on the trail.

highfavor1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

I believe that would be 1978 up. Not sure what is on your 60 as far as the Master Cylinder and Prop. Valve. They may also need changing out.
Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

go over to tsmmfg.com

I just converted my amc 20 to discs and love it....

they have a pretty good assortment of bolt on additions, I plan on doing my 71 ford all the way around in a few months!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

On Morris 4x4 website http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-br...bler/index.htm they list 5 different hoses for front disc brakes on CJ's. It's best if you know the year of the vehicle they came off of. I know they changed the way the caliper mounts to the spindle between '76 and '78. You may also have to change the fitting on the hard line.
Unread 10-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1
On Morris 4x4 website http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-br...bler/index.htm they list 5 different hoses for front disc brakes on CJ's. It's best if you know the year of the vehicle they came off of. I know they changed the way the caliper mounts to the spindle between '76 and '78. You may also have to change the fitting on the hard line.
Be careful trusting Morris. I've ordered a lot from them, but their info has been wrong on quite a few occasions. I would back up their info to confirm from summit or quadratec before I made a decision...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category...ake-conversion where i got mine for my front m25 60 back in 2004 when i was driving it daily but I would get the dual resivoir kit for your conversion which is also located at the is like for future reference
seabass1858 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
CSP

The first year of disc brakes (not breaks) was '76 and they were optional. They became standard in '78. As was said, you'll need to know what year the calipers are from to get the correct hoses.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Post a picture of what you have.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.