what year carb? and vacuum question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > what year carb? and vacuum question

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 05-24-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
jeepster18_88

what year carb? and vacuum question

Well, I've finally ran into the inevitable problem with the BBD carb. I am considering doing a nutter bypass, but I hate to go through the trouble and still have that the vacuum lines and wiring in my way. I don't want to spend the money on a Holley or Weber till I can build up the motor. I am also considering an older 2 barrel Carter, without the feed back system, but don't know what years they came on.

My goal is to replace the BBD with a 300-400 cfm carb and get rid the emissions headache.

What all vacuum lines do I need when I get rid of the emissions?

What years did the non-feed back carb come on the jeep?

What are your suggestions for a carb swap for under $200?

Thanks for any and all help!

Unread 05-25-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

Motorcraft 2100... kick-butt cheap carb upgrade.
Needs: used MC2100, adapter, air cleaner, rebuild kit... $75-$150

On a CJ you need vacuum to distributor, pcv to manifold vacuum, and probably breather to air cleaner... the rest can be junked.

Search for "Motorcraft swap" on google... there are at least 5 good write-ups. Also, ebay is probably the easiest place to find a carb if you don't have a good junkyard near you or don't have time to search yourself. Summit has the adapter and air cleaner, any auto parts place should have the rebuild kit, but you'll need to know what vehicle your used carb came off of as there seems to be MANY variations on the MC2100/2150 and you'll need a kit with the correct gaskets...

MC2100 is as good or better than the Weber (I've run both on the same jeep.. stuck with the MC2100).
Unread 05-25-2003, 05:37 PM   #3
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

BEWARE!!!

In many counties of Texas around Houston, Corpus Christi and Dallas-Ft Worth you MUST have ALL original "Smog Crap" ON the vehicle AND it must pass a tailpipe sniffer test. This inspection will almost certainly be going statewide some time in the future, so don't DO things that you can not UN-do!

I just moved across the border to Arkansas a few months ago, so am very familiar with the Texas Inspection. I have friends trying to deal with it in Dallas and Corpus Christi.

Bruce from West LA (Lower Arkansas)
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

Good point, we don't have emissions inspections yet here in AL, and my jeep didn't have any vacuum goodies left by the time I got it... but you may have to have them to run in your state.
Unread 05-26-2003, 03:18 PM   #5
jeepster18_88

Thanks! I'll look into the 2100. I bought my Jeep from my uncle who lives in Houston. He couldn't get the jeep to pass emissions so he finally decided to sell it. I think one of his major problems was that the vacuum lines are all out of place. Obviously the shop that he had work on it, couldn't understand the vacuum diagram. I live in a small town about 75 miles from downtown Houston so I am a little worried about emissions. Hopefully by the time it gets here I'll be able to fuel inject it or just use it for a huntin' buggy. Thanks again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.