What would it be worth?... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What would it be worth?...

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-06-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
mdwatts11
1979 CJ5 

What would it be worth?...

I am running into some financial problems, and time is getting short. So I am thinking of selling my 1979 CJ5 project. It is a frame up restoration that I have been doing an immaculate job on. I am going to try to list everything, but I don't know if I will be able to. Please tell me how much yall think it is worth.

CHASSIS:
Powdercoated frame
4" Skyjacker Lift with Nitro Shocks
1989 4.2L crate engine w/ less than 1,000 miles.
EMPI carb
New fuel pump
New oil filter
New fuel filter
New plugs and wires
New poly mounts EVERYWHERE
Motorcraft ignition
New clutch
New Pressure plate
New U-joints installed by machine shop
New gas tank
New fuel lines
New prebent brake lines from 4WD
New Russel braided brake lines.
New shackles
New shackle hangars
New custom exhaust with Flowmaster 40 series.
New oil in EVERYTHING
New warn locking hubs
New lug bolts
New brakes all around, machined rotors and drums.
Almost every bolt is new. I am thinking around $250
Over $300 in spray paint alone

BODY:
I have everything for the body, it just needs some body work and paint. The body is disassembled, but I do have everything needed. I have new prefab floorboards that need to be installed ($175) and new gauges for the dash. Just needs some TLC, time, and a little extra money to get it finished.

I am seeing what this is worth, and gouging interest, so that is why this is not in the classifieds yet.

PICS:

This is the Jeep's current state, it has been garage kept since day one (was on trailer for exhaust shop) and the chassis is COMPLETE.

This is what it was when I brought it home.

1990 YJ 4.2L, New addition to my garage. 4" POS Lift, 2 inch body, Bulletproof MFG rear bumper 33" BFG MT, Nutter bypass, MC2100 Carb Upgrade.

Jeeps are money pits.
mdwatts11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job to date!! I'm not sure an exact amount for you. I am going to be honest. CJ5's as far as wheeling jeeps just don't bring as much money as the 7's due to their short stance. However you have done some very nice work. And spent a lot of time. Ebay is the type of place you want to go with this. If it were me I'd put it on there with a reserve of 3000 and a starting bid of 1$ and see what it does. If you think that is to low then make your reserve higher. But that is my gut feeling. If you put the body back on it and got it all put back together it would bring more money. There are a lot of people that want jeeps but don't have the know how of how to restore one. If it were complete even with the body work not done It would bring more money than sitting in parts. It has a good body for the age too. If it was tbi and a 7 I'd be PMing you as that is what I'm looking at for my next build. But my first 3 jeeps were cj5's and I loved all of them. There is still a huge market for them out there only not for the extremest and how many extreme jeeps are on the road compaired to non extreme jeeps. So the market is huge for it. If you think my post is wrong or degrading let me know and I will delete it as I do not want to salt your game. Here are some pics of what a typical cj looks like that is ready for a restore. Your is by no means in this shape but this is a jeep that we are doing a frame off right now on. The pics are from when we picked it up.

As the normal person who has never done this before can compare yours and the state it is in to this jeep from when we picked it up you have done a ton of work. Don't give it away but know that you never get back out of them what you have in them (as a rule)
Unread 11-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

IF, I was looking to restore an old CJ-5, it looks like you would have saved me tons of time and money. You look like you did a solid job. Some people would rather do body work, than replace mechanics and frame work. IF I was going to start a project with yours, I'd drop you 5 or so grand...That the type of answer you are looking for?
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
cakalacky

Check PM.....Thanks
cakalacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
mdwatts11
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridazed
IF I was going to start a project with yours, I'd drop you 5 or so grand...That the type of answer you are looking for?
That is about what I was looking for, maybe a little more. I have put a lot of labor into this thing, and I intended this thing to be a show Jeep, as I can see it winning lots of stuff. But with the lack of money of my end to do it like I want, I want a new home for it with someone who has the time and money for.

1990 YJ 4.2L, New addition to my garage. 4" POS Lift, 2 inch body, Bulletproof MFG rear bumper 33" BFG MT, Nutter bypass, MC2100 Carb Upgrade.

Jeeps are money pits.
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
mdwatts11
1979 CJ5 

I started to work on the body today, so maybe I will be able to put it back together! I am gonna try to sell some other stuff first, so I can finish it. Anyone interested in a jeep 4.2 block?

Jeeps are money pits.
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
mdwatts11
1979 CJ5 

Still for sale if any interest.

Body is mounted to frame now.

Jeeps are money pits.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.