What is it and what it do?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What is it and what it do??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #16
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah I got some..
Quote:
That was 'old school' manifold heater called a heat riser.

Open Position, exhaust goes straight out exhaust pipe.

Closed position, exhaust is diverted to heat floor of intake then out the exhaust pipe

There was a spring that would control the position of the flapper. Usually rusted away as in these photos.

When cold it would divert exhaust gases onto the floor of the intake manifold to keep it warm so gas would not condense out onto the surface of the cold manifold and pool on the floor.

These manifolds are usually bolted together and made of cast iron. They didn't realy flow very well.

Even my old '63 Chebbie had one of these. This knowledge has been around a long time.

Those jeeps with water heated manifolds used an electric manifold heater.

These would turn on when you had enough oil pressure and turned off when the intake was warm enough to keep the mixture from condensing out.
These manifolds are usually made of aluminimum.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #17
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Thanks John
So when engine is reved valve should close off diverting all exhaust out exhaust manifold correct??

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasteeler View Post
Thanks John
So when engine is reved valve should close off diverting all exhaust out exhaust manifold correct??

Well "closed position" is kinda hard to pick but it should look like this when reving:

The exhaust pressure is overcoming the pressure of the spring that would normally be diverting the exhaust to the intake manifold floor. To reduce any backpressure it forces the valve to allow the exhaust to flow directly to the exhaust pipes.
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Interesting- So when the valve is "open" is looks closed, but when its "closed" it looks open (because its really diverting the hot air UP and AROUND).

I've had it backwards the last 2 years! Granted... no ill effects.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #20
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
Interesting- So when the valve is "open" is looks closed, but when its "closed" it looks open (because its really diverting the hot air UP and AROUND).

I've had it backwards the last 2 years! Granted... no ill effects.
Exactly...
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #21
NoJeeper1

How do I find the gasket that sits on top of the valve? I have a '79 that I borrowed and the spring broke. No parts houses have been able to identify the valve much less the gasket.
NoJeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:12 AM   #22
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I just bought a intake/exhaust gasket set from Autozone and it was included in the kit.

If they never seen a heat riser before, need to find a part house with an older crowd selling parts.
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #23
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJeeper1
How do I find the gasket that sits on top of the valve? I have a '79 that I borrowed and the spring broke. No parts houses have been able to identify the valve much less the gasket.
Mine came with a felpro set for the intake/exhaust. Whole set is $16 or so. All I needed was the gaskets for the head, since I have headers. I could mail you the gasket that goes between the intake and exhaust, which is just above the damper (I.e "valve").

I have the gasket set for a '78, but I don't think they changed.

PM me if you want it, but if you can get to that one, you should need the other ones too.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #24
NoJeeper1

Thanks. Called local pepboys and spoke with parts guy who has 40+ years in parts. He knew exactly what I needed. Will pick up set this weekend. Thanks
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #25
NoJeeper1

THanks

Thanks. Called local pepboys and spoke with parts guy who has 40+ years in parts. He knew exactly what I needed. Will pick up set this weekend. Thanks

Last edited by NoJeeper1; 09-20-2011 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Double post

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.