What transmission to go with on 85cj7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What transmission to go with on 85cj7?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-06-2003, 10:23 AM   #1
jeepin cj-5

What transmission to go with on 85cj7?

Well i have a 5 speed transmission in my 85 cj7 (i think t5?)right now but something went on it. I have a 83 parts jeep with a 4 speed transmission right now but im not sure which one to go with. Should I fix the 5 spd or replace i with the 4 spd? Wil the 4 spd go the same speed on the highway?

jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2003, 10:37 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin cj-5
Well i have a 5 speed transmission in my 85 cj7 (i think t5?)right now but something went on it. I have a 83 parts jeep with a 4 speed transmission right now but im not sure which one to go with. Should I fix the 5 spd or replace i with the 4 spd? Wil the 4 spd go the same speed on the highway?
Well considering these other factors:

a) You have a T-5 and they are inherently week trannies.
b) You have a free 4 speed, but you didn't indicate what kind.
c) A "fix" of a T-5 should really be a complete transimission rebuild because it's cost efficient in the long run.

I 'd say this:

If the 4 speed is a T-176 and not an T-4, I'd do the swap. You will achieve the same highways speeds, but without the 5th gear overdrive, you would probably suffer a 5-10mph hit. Big deal.

One note. If you regeared your differentials lower than stock (2.73, 3.31, 3.54) to something like (4.10,4.56), you will definitely suffer on the highway.

If the donor is a T-4, I would go for the T-5 rebuild unless you had other options in mind.

IF it's a T-176, it's a no brainer...go for it.

Hope this helps.
Unread 10-06-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
wm69

I agree, and you can tell what extra tranny you have by looking at the stick. Straight stick=t176=good.... Curved stick=t4/sr4=bad . I have a T176 in one of CJ's, and a T5 in the other. I like the 4 speed a LOT more. It will go the same speeds on the highway, but the gas milage isn't quite as good (if you've got a jeep as a highway vehicle/ good gas milage you need to seek professional help). Best thing about the 4 speed is that when I'm going up and down hills, the 5th gear is worthless, and i'm constantly downshifting to 4th, then upshifting. I live in the Ozarks, so that turns into a lot of shifting. The 4 speed will pull just fine, and the 4 speed gets better milage at highway speeds than the 5 speed gets when I'm unable to use 5th gear (when I have to leave the 5 speed in 4th gear). If you live in flat lands, and the 4 speed has a curved shifter, get the T5 fixed, otherwise I would put the 4 speed in. Another benefit of the T5 is the ultra low 1st gear, so take that into consideration too. I personally think the 4 speed in 1st hear/ 4 low is lower than I'll ever need.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2003, 11:39 PM   #4
Sandman74

NV4500 If you dont know, ask someone
Unread 10-07-2003, 06:16 AM   #5
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman74
NV4500 If you dont know, ask someone
See, you had to throw that in didn't ya?

I agree, if you have the cash, get yourself an NV4500 out of a Dodge Pickup....tack on the adapters...the new driveshaft....the relocation of the the skid plate....and you're set.
Unread 10-08-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
jeepin cj-5

How much would a rebuilt t5 cost? how much are they new? The reason is because my t5 not is real messed up, i figure 300+ in gears and bearings. what should i do... i have talked to alot of people and the fact that the t-5 does have the over drive will help when i regear so i was planning on sticking with it.
jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.