what are the symptoms of failing ignition control module? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > what are the symptoms of failing ignition control module?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Brg0012
1983 CJ7 

what are the symptoms of failing ignition control module?

just like the title says what are the symptoms of failing ignition control module?

Brg0012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cranks, no start. They can be temperature-sensitive, failing when they heat up, running fine when cold. (Every one I've ever replaced has become intermittent, correlated to temperature)

If you suspect ignition module failure, pull the center wire off the distributor cap, stick a spark plug in there, rest the plug on the motor (so that it is grounded) and have someone turn the engine over a couple times. You should see a ton of spark. If nothing, the plug is well grounded, and no engine codes, you can start thinking ignition module.

Touching the plug while your friend turns over the engine can be painful in the "Oww, the damn thing just arc welded me" way.
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

I had one in the late 80's that wouldn't start when cold (summer time, cold meaning engine hadn't been running) occasionally. Try it a few times over the course of 15 minutes, and then it would run. Totally intermittent. I figured it couldn't be the module, in that something electronic would either be flat dead or else it would work, right? How can a computer chip be intermittent? It was the module...
Unread 10-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

My experience with a bad modual was of course 3 hours away from my house. Started losing speed/power on the interstate. Pulled over, ideled fine. Ran and acted like normal up to 35mph, then engine spits, sputters, misses, and no high rpm. I limped in the emergency lane to the next exit. Auto zone said it tested fine. I knew it wasn't. Another customer overheard and said that it my be failing under more of a load than what autozone test equiptment offers. For 13 bucks, I rolled the dice. Bought it and replaced it in the parking lot. She ran fine at 80MPH all the way home.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
PERK
1983 CJ7 

mount 2 of them on the fender..always 'cause 1 will fail....
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

They can just up and die while driving. let it cool down and they may work again. I know folks that have used electroninc freezing spray on them to help diagnose this.

If you do go for a new module, buy anything except a 'wells' unit. I have seen more of those being bad out of the box, than working ones. One gent that came to me for help had even paid $3k in fixes and tows because two new modules were intermittently bad.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

If you've got a pull apart or local junkyard, go digging through older Fords looking for the modules. Make sure they aren't oozing goo, a sure sign they're dead/dying and make sure they have the plugs intact. I've found plenty of good units (with the blue grommet) in an hour of poking around, cost was minimal, so I keep one in my jeep and a few more in the shop. It's cheap insurance and will get you by until you can get a new high quality unit.
81CJ7, 258, MC2100, TeamRush'd, 3"lift, 34x10.50TSL's, 3:31gears, Scrambler cab
Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrev View Post
It's cheap insurance and will get you by until you can get a new high quality unit.
I agree and the OEM Ford motorcraft modules are Far better than the aftermarket parts.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
TwistedAmbition
1986 CJ7 

Take it up to the local parts store and let them test it. I messed around with the mysterious no starts, intermittent starting, and out right dying and replaced two ignition coils, wires, plugs, distributor parts, etc, before having the module tested. Ran a lot better with new wiring, plugs and module though. Should have checked this forum first.
TwistedAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

The module can do some strange stuff when it's going out.

It might start, but not run when you return the key switch to the run position.
It might not want to start while cranking, but catch and run when you return the key switch to the run position.

It might just shut down at random times for no apparent reason.

Or it might not want to start when hot, but start fine when cold.
-----------------------

Like the guys say, the discount store 'Replacements' aren't factory quality.
Most of them are made in South Africa, China or Korea, and they aren't up to factory specs at all.

If you buy one, ask for Borg Warner module. It's not a guarantee it will live and work correctly in your 25+ year old wiring,
But you stand a better chance with Borg Warner than you do with the 'Cheap' ones they sell.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

I have heard of pouring cold water, coke (softdrink) etc to cool them off. But when it goes, for the most part they cant be repaired.

In my jeep, I'm probably not going to be close to town or some place convenient.

My philosophy is that similar to a spare tire. When you are in the middle of nowhere and it quits, not much one can do. so like the spare tire, i carry an extra in the bottom of my tool box.

Few tools needed, Quick and easy to change, and are less expensive than a spare tire, so why not. A sound judgment to me.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

I put in my thhird module, and I don't have it on the road yet! Someone suggested to run a dedicated ground wire to the module case. Since I did that, this one has lasted a bit longer...
Unread 10-31-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I got a tach on my jeep and if I have a module problem The Tach just quits moving. If the needle s bouncing then the electrical system is still working. and time to check the carb.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #14
cj5752
1975 CJ5 

Wire it to use a GM HEI module. Problem solved.
cj5752 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
Renegade86
1986 CJ7 

Never had a problem with mine but heard and read many stories of them failing. So to give me peace of mind, I converted to HEI. Starts, runs, and accelerates so much better.
Renegade86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.