What suspension you prefer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What suspension you prefer?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
neorules
1976 CJ7 

What suspension you prefer?

What suspension would you try to imitate or retrofit to your CJ.
The only requirements are,
1: must ride much smoother on the street then those 4" lifted leaf springs.
2: should cost less then the jeep itself LOL....
3: have some way to incorporate dual stage air bags so you can go from almost stock to 4"+ lift...
4: driveshaft concerns and transfer case placement don't matter!!!
5: lastly I would like to keep most of the exterior uncut and stock appearing.
Tube rock fenders are ok but I don't want to make a naked tube buggy either..

So what is the smoothest riding suspension that gives really decent articulation on the trail????
And by smoothest I mean so you can drive 100 miles to the trail on pavement and not feel exhausted!!!

I know CJ's are a rough tough vehicle but my first long trip wore me out....

Last edited by neorules; 12-18-2008 at 09:51 AM..
neorules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What your looking to do is really un realistic
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

You can get all of that when pigs fly.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
fataltherabbit
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tuff it out , you got a CJ for god sakes
[/SIZE] [COLOR="Lime"]Sunday.Drivers.[/COLOR]
fataltherabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
neorules
1976 CJ7 

Hmmmmmmmm..... Didn't know that is why I asked......

I already have lotsa big tough airbags, valves and such.
Tubing bender, mig welder, Bench top and larger mill, a tiny metal lathe and a metal band saw....

Lets just say I am bored and want to cut up some DOM to play with on the old jeep frame in the driveway....
Maybe I am tired of building Battle bots and want to weld steel instead of AL and TI...
(I still have a few plates / sheets of TI if any body wants to make a killer skid plate LOL...)

Do you prefer the 4 link or the TJ style suspension....
If you don't have a preference or think it is ridiculous then who cares... Just play along and have some fun at
the expense of a crazy person :}

Thanks JC

P.S. Lets not worry about cost then.... go for it... unlimited budget but streetable at 70 mph on highway....
neorules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
pscj5
1972 CJ5 

I like 4 link i have drove couple buggies that had it and a jeep with a custom setup it was fun
heres one that was fun in crozet

Not a jeep but was awesome wheelin
Unread 12-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

For extreme use; 4 link, coil overs, on 38 to 42 inch tires, with body mods and a full cage (its simpler to install than a TJ style suspension).
For a less extreme CJ; SOA with soft flat springs. (you do need to increase the size of the rear wheel wells for 33" and larger tires). A half step can be done by four linking the rear with either separate coils or coil overs.
Forget the airbags/air shocks go with what has been proven to work well. If you want a variable height vehicle resign yourself to compromised performance.
If you want a TJ suspension get a TJ its the easiest riding, best performing, small, stock, 4wd vehicle, IMO.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You want it to be comfortable do a full coil conversion long arm front and rear and nice cushy shocks. Thats going to be your only solution. Forget the pipe dream of using air bags. Not going to happen. With all the work and money your going to need to put into it, just buy a Rubicon The 4.0 has plenty of power to turn big tires just gear it right.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.