What size Air Compressor for Impact wrench - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What size Air Compressor for Impact wrench

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 03-18-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Randy77358
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What size Air Compressor for Impact wrench

I have tried reading up on the many many different size air compressors that are out there. And the list and comments vary.

Has anyone used the Harbor Freight 3hp 21 gallon tank 120volt 125 PSI air compressor for an impact wrench and an air sander? Air delivery: 7.0 SCFM @ 40 PSI; 4.9 SCFM @ 90 PSI; 4.3 SCFM @ 115 PSI

Randy77358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

assuming a 1/2" drive impact for removing tires and such I would say at an average operating pressure of 90PSI I'd say you need a compressor that can do at least 5.4scfm. Thats what is recommended on my old Matco impact and I think its pretty standard across the board. I didnt see a recommended pressure but I've always left my regulator set at 90psi... Hope that helps!
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy77358 View Post
I have tried reading up on the many many different size air compressors that are out there. And the list and comments vary.

Has anyone used the Harbor Freight 3hp 21 gallon tank 120volt 125 PSI air compressor for an impact wrench and an air sander? Air delivery: 7.0 SCFM @ 40 PSI; 4.9 SCFM @ 90 PSI; 4.3 SCFM @ 115 PSI
I actually have that exact copressor. Now its not bad but I would go bigger if I could do it again. It does great with a impact wrench. (Make sure you dont buy a HF one they suck! Except the earthquake series is ok) Now if you use a air sander you will have fits, the compressor will run constantly.

All in though its done awesome for all my paintings and its wicked easy to move and throw in the back of the truck. If you move it alot you will need to change the wheels and replace the rubber feet with blocks of wood. The stock support stuff wont last long! Good Luck!
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
CJhollic
1980 CJ7 

I have a 30 gallon 5 hp which is barely adequate. I wouldn't go any smaller.
ViAir Onboard Air
TeamRush ignition upgrade with MSD 6a CDI
Dual Batteries
KC Daylighters
Cold Air Intake
Lock-Right Lockers
Yukon 1 piece axles
Custom Bumper& Swing Out Tire Carrier
Mile Marker Hubs
Chevy Blower Upgrade
1500 lb airbag suspension
Floor mounted gun rack (2 guns)
CJhollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sears has theres rated by a star method.If you go looking you will c what you need.
cadencedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
neonistic
1981 CJ7 

It isn't size, it is CFM. Make sure that you get the most CFM that you can afford.
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes CFM is the key. If you look at most impact wrenchs for sale today it's anywhere between 4.0 and 5.0 cfm @90 psi depending on how heavy duty you get. The stronger the horsepower the heigher your cfm rating will be. I to notice the ones at harbor freight and am concerned with the life of it. They do offer an extended warrenty if I remember correctly that does not cost much and it's a replacement warrenty not a fix-it type one. I know Harbor Freight at one point sold the old Chicago Pneumatic line which back in the day was good quality. Not sure if it's the same thing now or not. If you got it let us know how it's working out.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
79-CJ-7
1979 CJ7 

if you are going to run a sander/buffer/D/A you will want a 2 stage. but those are super spendy. I have a 60 Cambel huasfeld(?) Single stage. it works good for most applications but some times i have to let it recharge and try again. even though its a 60 gallon it still wont keep up with a sander or a D/A, it wont even keep up with a 3/8 air ratchet. runs just as offten as a 30 gallon. so the tank size really doesnt matter all that much. as stated above, cfm is the key not the size of the tank. get one that is useful and easy to move around. Mine is wired 220 and weighs 200 lbs. I wish i had a 20 or 30 gallon 120 that i could move around and take places.
79-CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
CSP

The impact isn't the issue, it's the sander.

Look at your air tools and see what CFM they require.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.