What should I know about the Dauntless? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What should I know about the Dauntless?

TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/ March Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATEFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRI

Unread 04-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
gottolovem
1968 CJ5 

What should I know about the Dauntless?

Hello to all I just purchased a 1968 cj5 and have a few questions.
First off the odd fire v6 is a new animal to me it has an elderbrock manifold and a monster 4 barrel carb that seems to be drowning the engine!(runs WAY to rich) oil smells of gas plugs all fowled. The seller says they make a two barrel that bolts up to the four barrel manifold is this true?
Next question is the seller has installed headers with short flowmaster single chamber mufflers. IT'S WAY TO LOUD any tips on a little less noise?
The compression is kinda low @ 100 all the way around with one a little less than that @ 90. It will be a weekend trail rig for me so that should be alright for a while.

Anyhow any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have lot's of experience under the hood of a car but the jeep is new to me.
http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/da...ary/1968%20cj5

Last edited by gottolovem; 04-13-2015 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: photos
gottolovem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

just a Buick 225 engine
album is shown as private....
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
CSP

Get rid of the headers to make it less noisy. The drivers side manifold will have the be a forward exit if the steering is still stock (steering box close to the firewall).
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
John N
1981 CJ8 

A 390 cfm 4 barrel Holley will work fine, do you know your current Cfm on the carb? Get an HEI distributer, if it doesn't already have one. There are quieter mufflers, but stock manifolds and exhaust would be the most quiet, but stock manifolds are going to be hard to come by.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Fenderwell headers are somewhat the norm with these rigs due to steering clearances. Run the longest turbo muffler you can stuff under there with kickouts. This will cut down on a lot of the noise. If you retain yours, be sure you support the mufflers at the outlets.

Squarebore carbs:
Holly 390
Any square bore carbs over 500CFM will give you poor performance when you get into the secondary's.

Spreadbores:
Holley 450 economaster (discontinued, but findable).
Believe it or not.....Rochester Quadrajet. Huge, but performs very well off road due to the central float bowl and the tiny primaries give excellent off idle performance.

You will have to look to see which bolt pattern your intake has.
The only direct bolt on carb would be an early Rochester 2 jet on a spreadbore manifold. These are hard to find but are excellent carbs (basically the primaries off a Q jet). Later 2 jet models do not have base that covers the secondary bores in the intake, so would require an adapter.
If your going back to a 2BBL, the 2G Rochester series are about the best 2BBL you can find. They come in two sizes and not only work well offroad but give fuel economy. I have run both Holley's and Motorcraft 2BBL's, and neither one performed as well as the Rochester.

HEI distributor from a 76 Buick 231 oddfire application. They are still available new and worth every dime. You will have to spend some time and possibly do some grinding to get it in. These motors require you use the #1 tower to start your firing order or it will never run properly. Bump up the timing a couple of degrees above stock.

The engine uses a very heavy flywheel. While it doesn't like to spool up quickly, it greatly improves off idle performance.

I recommend a high volume oil pump.

Use a quality paper style air filter. I recommend offroaders use an enclosed housing. You can attach a hose to the snorkel if you're looking at a cold air intake.

100LBS per cylinder is low, however, as long as it isn't burning oil, I wouldn't worry about it.

I am a huge advocate of upgrading the brakes and steering. Both in stock form are barely adequate, and get worse with lifts and oversized tires.

I have owned and driven a lot of Jeeps throughout the years, and I honestly believe the 225 oddfire was THE best carbureted engine offered in a CJ. Excellent HP and torque numbers in a small package.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
Tom Hartz
1967 CJ5 

I agree with jeepdaddy2000. It is a great engine. I am running the Holley 390 cm. With some jetting my CJ runs great. I have fender well headers and just put on some small Walker mufflers because the turbo mufflers where too loud on the highway. Also take a look at the forum earlycj5.net. there is a ton of information there. Have fun wheel safe. Tom
Tom Hartz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
I have owned and driven a lot of Jeeps throughout the years, and I honestly believe the 225 oddfire was THE best carbureted engine offered in a CJ. Excellent HP and torque numbers in a small package.
Absolutely! IMO, way better suited than any of the stock AMC replacements that followed it.

As far as the 4bbl versus a 2bbl, you will actually get better mileage and off idle throttle response from a small 4bbl and you definitely want to keep the headers for use with the 4bbl. Like jeepdady said, if you go too big, it all goes to hell in a handbasket-bad response and very sensitive to elevation changes. The 390 Holley with spring loaded needles and extended or connected bowl vents (think truck avenger) works really well as do the 450 cfm 4150 series like found on some of the 60's vintage Ramblers. DO NOT USE HOLLEY CENTER PIVOT BOWLS. They absolutely will not work off road no matter what you try to do with them.

There are a number of mufflers that will fit that aren't that noisy. The old Walker turbo versions were decent.

All that said and if you aren't into a total restoration, if you need to rebuild the engine, it is my firm opinion you will be far ahead both monetary and performance wise to replace it with a Chevy 4.3L, preferably a EFI version.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
gottolovem
1968 CJ5 

WOW
Thank's for all the great feedback! I will not have the cj in my stable till this weekend. At that point I will get better photos and start to educate myself as to what i'm looking at.

I belong to several forums and the only other one with sound advice is tercel4wd.com(shameless plug).All the rest seem to be kids with their comments and no real knowledge.

Thank's again and i'm glad to be in the mix here
Unread 04-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Tom Hartz
1967 CJ5 

Be sure to check this one out. A ton of experienced people there.

http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/forum.php
Unread 04-14-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
gottolovem
1968 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartz View Post
Be sure to check this one out. A ton of experienced people there.

http://www.earlycj5.net/forums/forum.php
I have tried multiple times to register over at early cj!
I keep getting a message that admin banned my email
Then when I try to contact admin I get a error 404 message
Unread 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #11
Tom Hartz
1967 CJ5 

That sucks. There is a ton of great info there. You might try contacting them from another e-mail address.

Good luck.
Unread 04-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #12
CSP

You don't have to be a member to search for existing information on ECJ5.

They really need to step away from the fear of spammers and stop the nonsense of not admitting people with gmail, yahoo, etc email addresses. It's ridiculous.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #13
IRQVET
1967 CJ5 

Get ready to explain to EVERY auto parts store that you need parts for a 66 Buick Special, 77 Buick Regal, and host of other vehicles that came with the Odd Fire motor. Because when you say Jeep, they seem to have trouble finding a Jeep in their database with an Odd Fire motor.
Unread 04-15-2015, 06:04 AM   #14
scottyDive
1984 CJ7 

I have the 225 in my 1970 jeepster commando. Fun engine but I could never get the Holley 390 with the offenhauser to work. The folks over at the jcca convinced me to go back to stock intake and the Rochester 2G and its bullet proof and runs great. EFI wakes it up but buy the kit from someone who knows the 225... many times an EFI for an even fire is used and they are not the same.
scottyDive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #15
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottolovem View Post
I have tried multiple times to register over at early cj!
I keep getting a message that admin banned my email
Then when I try to contact admin I get a error 404 message
Contact forum member blevisay, he's a mod at earlycj5 & will get you hooked up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.