What should i do to this jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What should i do to this jeep?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
cw12
1976 CJ7 

What should i do to this jeep?

i have a 1976 cj7 with 35" tire an a 6" lift. Its runs well. Im planning on selling a 1970s jeepster to get money to pay for all the mods and refurbishment but im only 16 and need some help from experienced jeep enthusiast in what to do. Any and all recommendations are appreciated. The problems include sloating on the road if i got faster than 30, uncomfortable seats, gunna need a new dash and possibly gauges, need new shocks and leaf springs, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44954676@N07/

cw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
dechlin
1980 CJ7 

cant see it, its private
dechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Personally, I'd stick with the Jeepster and restore it.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
cw12
1976 CJ7 

Unread 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
cw12
1976 CJ7 

why would you stick with the jeepster?
Unread 07-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

why would you stick with the jeepster?

look at a jeepster then a rubicon unlimted, jeepster, unlimited, jeepster, unlimited and you will see that they are almost the same vehicle.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

What do you plan to use the CJ7 for? Daily driver? Wheeling only? Some of both? The concern is that any vehicle with 35" tires and a 6" lift is going to get lousy fuel economy and wouldn't make a great daily driver. Plus with the other problems you mentioned, you're going to be sinking a lot of money or time (or both) into the thing to make it more road or trail worthy.
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

These things are never as cheap as they look when you start off, especially lifts. The significant amount of lift and big tyres give the monster truck look but are causing problems with on highway handling and that is before you examine the root cause of the excruciating pinion angles, driveshaft durability, caster angle, axle gearing, prematurely worn U joints and of course the abysmal fuel economy etc.

Of road driving is not about lift but vehicle placement, reading the terrain and technique. If was all about lift we would have Jeep helicopters. I am not saying it is unhelpful as clearance is clearance and improved entry and departure angles are important but lifted Jeeps are difficult to carry off successfully, as many on this forum will proudly admit.

You say you need new leaf springs and shocks so how was this 6" lift accomplished and did they use new parts? If you need to replace lifted parts you will need to spend $$$s compared to replacing standard parts as they are not so easy to find apart from new.

The other bits are easy enough to fix, bodge or buy second hand. Seats can be pulled or generics purchased second hand and the dash is only a flat panel with cut outs and some basic instruments stuck in, not difficult to do yourself.

Good luck with the project, lots of good advice and good people here who will help you.
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

IMO-If I had a clean jeepster the 5 would be gone in an instant. I love my CJ but a commando is cool on so many more levels. throw a diesel swap, SOA and 1 tons under it and BAM! the things I dream about

if the jeepster is going downhill, sell both and build a first gen cherokee or maybe a wagoneer (make it a grand wagoneer for the cruise/power seats/power windows/AC....)
Unread 07-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
IMO-If I had a clean jeepster the 5 would be gone in an instant. I love my CJ but a commando is cool on so many more levels. throw a diesel swap, SOA and 1 tons under it and BAM! the things I dream about

if the jeepster is going downhill, sell both and build a first gen cherokee or maybe a wagoneer (make it a grand wagoneer for the cruise/power seats/power windows/AC....)
But then it would not be a CJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree the Cherokee or the Waggie would make a more practical DD for the money but the CJ is about freedom and fantasy (reality is that you spend a lot of time trying to make them run)
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
But then it would not be a CJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree the Cherokee or the Waggie would make a more practical DD for the money but the CJ is about freedom and fantasy (reality is that you spend a lot of time trying to make them run)
it still has a removable top and similar fenders, it's just wider, longer, and more special with that fancy sloped back end. think of all the stuff you could put in the engine bay

at least it doesn't have square headlights...
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
cw12
1976 CJ7 

thanks for all the advice. I have a 2001 f150 as my daily driver and i would off road with this jeep but use it probably 70% driving around town, no faster than 50 in town and Ive gotten a lot more comfortable driving it and can handle up to 45 without a problem. My dad shares the same enthusiasm for the glory of the jeepster as a couple of you do but the cj is father along. I plan on having the jeep for a long time and right now looking for that monster truck jeep look and something i can drive around town with my friends but still be able to bring it up to utah for some fun. also if anyone is interested in the 1978 jeepster I'd be more than happy to send photos etc.
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
cw12
1976 CJ7 

also i have the original 5.0L 304ci V8 in it... would you suggest and engine swap for more power, reliability, etc.?
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
cw12
1976 CJ7 

http://imgur.com/P6pTh

http://imgur.com/PsVxP
Unread 07-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

First of all, ditch the shackle lift - it's a cheap, easy way to lift, but handling suffers. I think if you just go with whatever shackles are recommended for your springs, it would look great - the tires would fit it perfectly. Right now, you have little tires for that tall vehicle.

Also remember, the 70's CJ is a narrow vehicle, and not meant for cornering fast. And the higher you make it sit, the easier for roll-over. That is why I am on stock springs and 31" tires.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.