What should I do? Cummins $BT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What should I do? Cummins $BT

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

View Poll Results: What should I do with the Van?
Stick the 4BT in the Jeep 21 91.30%
Sell the van and make some money 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

What should I do? Cummins $BT

So I recently picked up an old Ford stepvan with a Cummins 4BT in it. Now I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding an 81 CJ5, and there's certainly a part of me that wants to stick the 4BT in it. If you've read my thread I think you would agree I have paid a lot of attention to minor details, and if I went this route I would certainly make sure it was done right. Part of me thinks I should take the money and run, but the rest of me can only imagine how great this could turn out to be.

The way I see it I have two options:
1. Put the engine in the 5, scrap the van
2. Try to sell the van as a whole for profit

The only part of scrapping the van is that the exterior has been coated in a bed liner, not sure of what brand, or how long ago. I would have to assume that to get any value on the scrap I would need to remove the liner. I haven't really tested how well it's hanging on yet, but I would think that a propane torch and scraper would make fairly short work of it.

I think if I decide to put the 4BT in the Jeep I could come out about even. Or if I decide to sell it I could probably a few grand off of it.

Let me hear what you think, pros and cons.

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
COCJ75
1979 CJ7 

I'd buy the motor!
But in all seriousness, do the swap! I have been searching everywhere for one, hard to find on this side of the state...
COCJ75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You have achieved the first step... finding and buying the engine. Will installing the Cummins delay your completion? Can you afford the diesel? Are you going to keep the Jeep? Other than the Cool Factor, what will you gain? I would personally do the swap if I were going to keep the Jeep, but I am also driven by economics. Cost vs. benefits.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Harold_Ray

I am always in favor of making money.
Harold_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCJ75 View Post
I'd buy the motor!
But in all seriousness, do the swap! I have been searching everywhere for one, hard to find on this side of the state...
I've found several, but most want some serious cash for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
You have achieved the first step... finding and buying the engine. Will installing the Cummins delay your completion? Can you afford the diesel? Are you going to keep the Jeep? Other than the Cool Factor, what will you gain? I would personally do the swap if I were going to keep the Jeep, but I am also driven by economics. Cost vs. benefits.
Definitely going to keep the Jeep, no questions there. Doing the swap may cost me a little time, but I can't imagine more then a week or two, and lets face it, I'm over 2 years into this build. I can afford it, and I think that I may be able to come out about even once its all said and done. Other then the cool factor, better gas mileage, more power, easily tuned.

On the opposing side, noise, vibrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold_Ray View Post
I am always in favor of making money.
As am I, but I have my whole life to make money!

Jered
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

1. Is the van box aluminum? If it is scrap it and put the 4 bolt in the CJ
2. Put the 4 bolt in the CJ
1973 Cj5 304 T15 Dana20 Sold

tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

you have already stated what you want, and that is to make money. it doesnt matter that the 4b is the ultimate engine for off road and pretty good mileage. all you care about is money, so sell the van and motor and let somebody else have the pleasure . if you was serious about jeeping, you pull what you need and trash the rest no matter if you make money off it or not
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

My first thoughts were what a great hunting camper that thing could make! Bigger tires, winch on both ends, OD green paint job!

Jered I think the 4BT is one of the best swaps around. It's all we want, power, torque, and economy. Some people don't like the extra noise is the biggest complaint I hear. Your axles may be marginal though.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
1. Is the van box aluminum? If it is scrap it and put the 4 bolt in the CJ
2. Put the 4 bolt in the CJ
I like where your head is on this one, yes the box is aluminum, thats why I think I could make a fair bit of the money invested back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
you have already stated what you want, and that is to make money. it doesnt matter that the 4b is the ultimate engine for off road and pretty good mileage. all you care about is money, so sell the van and motor and let somebody else have the pleasure . if you was serious about jeeping, you pull what you need and trash the rest no matter if you make money off it or not
I never said that all I wanted is money, but yes, unfortunately money is a factor in this decision. If money were not a factor I wouldn't have any problem buying a new crate engine to do a swap like this. But since it is, I need to decide if that money is best spent on this engine, elsewhere on the Jeep, or anywhere else for that matter.

Jered
Unread 08-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
My first thoughts were what a great hunting camper that thing could make! Bigger tires, winch on both ends, OD green paint job!

Jered I think the 4BT is one of the best swaps around. It's all we want, power, torque, and economy. Some people don't like the extra noise is the biggest complaint I hear. Your axles may be marginal though.
I haven't considered hunting camper! It really is in great shape, and drives fairly well minus the slop in the steering. I really wish that I could find somebody who would like to repower it and continue using it, but I think the scrap value is worth more then anyone would be willing to pay for it.

Looking at the stock power figures of the 4BT, I feel like my drive train would be able to handle until I have the resources down the line to upgrade (assuming I don't beat on it too much of course)

Jered
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
har99
1979 CJ7 

Pull the 4bt and put it in the CJ. Find a junk yard motor and put it in the van and sell the van! Best of both worlds.
har99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

If you can afford it, do the swap. You'll never regret it.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
flashpointmax
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Put the 4BT in the CJ5... I'm wanting to do that myself but have not located an engine yet.
flashpointmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by har99 View Post
Pull the 4bt and put it in the CJ. Find a junk yard motor and put it in the van and sell the van! Best of both worlds.
I've actually considered this. Not sure if it would be worth while or not, but certainly something that I'm going to look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
If you can afford it, do the swap. You'll never regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashpointmax View Post
Put the 4BT in the CJ5... I'm wanting to do that myself but have not located an engine yet.
I actually started this thread looking for reasons why I shouldn't do the swap. Obviously I want to or else I wouldn't have been looking for one. I guess I'm going to have to talk to my engine builder about doing some more work for me. And to think, I haven't even started up the last engine he built for me

Jered
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

I like this idea of pulling the 4bt and putting a JY motor in it and selling it...a running vehicle always sells for a lot more. Find a running 350/TH400 combo or 351/C6 and toss it in there and sell it. Then you've got a 4bt all to yourself! Its more work in the end but I think the $$$ works out better for you
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4bt , cj5 , cummins

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.