What Shocks/How R Shocks Suppose to Work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What Shocks/How R Shocks Suppose to Work?

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 09-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
CJSAMM
1977 CJ5 

What Shocks/How R Shocks Suppose to Work?

I have a 77 CJ-5, I just got this Jeep and I believe the prior owner did a conversion for the front(leaf spring over drive shaft). So the Jeep has a lift(I don't know height), I noticed big time that the front shocks were totally bottoming out if I go over any types of bumps.....even a 1 inch rock it would hit rock bottom. So the shocks looked slap wore out, so I went and purchased the new RS5000 Rancho's. I haven't installed these yet, but these seem very very soft like they are going to bottom out easy also.....has anyone else had this problem or know how I can fix it?
EDIT-- I just looked at a picture of a CJ7 on here that I think gave me my answer to my problems. Whoever did the spring/axel conversation maybe they did it wrong. The shock mounting bracket is at the top of my springs, not under or by the axle. Could this be the reason why my shocks would bottom out so easy, by not having enough clearance from top shock mount to bottom shock mount?

CJSAMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

the shocks need to be the correct length for the lift done. mounting points don't matter, (per se), just the correct length. sounds like perhaps your PO didn't change the shocks after lifting it, or installed the wrong length shocks after.

if you bought shocks based on model year/part number, and not the actual operating length, you'll likely have the same problem. you need the measurement between the mounting points, the type of mounting points (eye or stud mount), and then any decent parts guy can find you a shock that falls (basically) in the middle of that range.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

You need to measure the distance between the shock mounts. This is your baseline measurement. Measure the distance between the axle and the bump stop. add an extra 3/4 inch and subtract that from your baseline measurement. This will be your collapsed shock length. jack the frame up till the axle(with the tires and wheels) is hanging by the springs. Measure the distance between shock mounts and add any estimated distance you might see due to articulation. This is your extended length. Call Rancho with these two measurements and they will tell you which shock will fit.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
CJSAMM
1977 CJ5 

So its better to measure from center mounting bolt to center mounting bolt while jeep is grounded......not suspended in air right? Then I should be able to take that measurement to "parts" guy and say I have a (for sake of conversation)14inch gap between center bolt to center bolt and I should fix my problem right and him give me correct shock size? Thanks for the help guys
CJSAMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSAMM
So its better to measure from center mounting bolt to center mounting bolt while jeep is grounded......not suspended in air right? Then I should be able to take that measurement to "parts" guy and say I have a (for sake of conversation)14inch gap between center bolt to center bolt and I should fix my problem right and him give me correct shock size? Thanks for the help guys
Not realy.....You need to take the measurements in my previous post to get an accurate extended and collapsed length. Vendors that carry aftermarket shocks will take these measurements and give you a part number of a shock that will fit.
Unread 09-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
Measure the distance between the axle and the bump stop. add an extra 3/4 inch and subtract that from your baseline measurement.
EDIT!!!!
You should subtract not add 3/4 of an inch. Otherwise your shock will be too long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.