what sheet metal to get for patching body? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > what sheet metal to get for patching body?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-17-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
NJCJ7

what sheet metal to get for patching body?

okay, it's cut-n-weld time to patch some of the gaping holes in the CJ... what thickness or gauge or whatever sheet metal should i be looking to buy? thanks...

Unread 12-17-2003, 01:38 PM   #2
cjryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCJ7
okay, it's cut-n-weld time to patch some of the gaping holes in the CJ... what thickness or gauge or whatever sheet metal should i be looking to buy? thanks...
I think you want 14 Ga. steel. Also, unless you are really good at welding, you should just tack weld the piece in.
Unread 12-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
aviator

14 guage???

the body, from the factory is 18ga.

I found that patching with 16 guage is about all she can handle before your metal thicknesses are so far out of whack that you begin to warp the body on the CJ. 14 guage is so thick that it would take too much heat to get the two pieces to weld together, creating either massive holes or serious warpage.

Whatever you do, stay away from JC Whitney - their pieces are junk. I know first hand.
Unread 12-17-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
NJCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator
14 guage???

the body, from the factory is 18ga.

I found that patching with 16 guage is about all she can handle before your metal thicknesses are so far out of whack that you begin to warp the body on the CJ. 14 guage is so thick that it would take too much heat to get the two pieces to weld together, creating either massive holes or serious warpage.

Whatever you do, stay away from JC Whitney - their pieces are junk. I know first hand.
So 18 ga? I am assuming this is like wire? higher the # the thinner the steel?
Unread 12-17-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
crazandy

Yup, just like wire, 14>16>18
Unread 12-17-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Why 1/2 *** the process? I mean if you have one or two holes, I can understand, but if you start digging and realize like I did that the rear fender wells are like swiss cheese with dozens of small, medium and large holes, I suggest going to

www.trailquest.com

and ordering the factory OEM thickness panels. It came out great and will hold up much longer than a patch where you may or may not get all the rust.

Consider it...they aren't expensive.

Here's a before shot with the panels about to get welded on:

And here is what it looks like today...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.