What is need for this motor swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What is need for this motor swap?

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-27-2002, 07:59 AM   #1
CJEli

What is need for this motor swap?

Hey Guys,

I have a 79 CJ7 with the 258 and the motor is getting tired. I am in the process of looking for an AMC 360 or a Chev 350 to put in. Besides the motor mount adapter kit, what else is needed for the conversion? I am going to stick with the stock 3 speed stick.

Thanks for your help,

-Eli

Unread 06-27-2002, 09:36 AM   #2
LS1CJ5
1979 CJ5 

I just did the LS1 swap. Bellhousing to go from the T150 to the 350. If you had the 4cyl 151 you could use it. They do sell bellhousings that can connect up to your clutch linkage. That's a good idea. The radaitor's in's and out's are a little further away than the Amc was. I ran Z28 electric fans then the stainless flex hose. I used 24" for the bottom line and 12" to the top. Ok the Chevy swap can snowball on you, but if you can get the motor Cheap and don't mind the work, go for it. That makes one more CJ on the road. which is a good thing.
Or the 360, which is a fine motor. Make sure you get all of the parts. That front cover can cost you 300. With the 360 you'll just need motor mounts. Maybe upgrade the radiator, exhaust also.
LM
Unread 06-27-2002, 04:34 PM   #3
cjdriver

If you go with the 360 all you will need is the stock Jeep engine mounts as the bell housing is the same as the 258.

For the Chev you will need a bell housing adapter from someone like advance adapters and you will need the new motor mounts. You will also need some flexibel radiator hoses or a radiator designed for the conversion since the outlets are opposite the stock Jeep one. Mepco 4x4 sells exact replacements with the outlets in the right place in several sizes to meet your needs. I used to work there and they are real nice units. Call them at 1-800-388-5337. Or online at <a href="http://www.mepco4x4.com" target="_blank">www.mepco4x4.com</a>
Unread 06-27-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
NMullens

There is a good article in this month's Jp Magazine. It talks about the stuff you dont think about when doing any swapping. Good Luck though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.