What motor is in my Jeep? Is this the right carb?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What motor is in my Jeep? Is this the right carb??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-20-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
jrb1449
1978 CJ5 

What motor is in my Jeep? Is this the right carb??

1978 CJ5

Not sure on the engine size. Can't tell by the valve cover. It just says "Clifford 6=8". Can you help me? I have a Chilton and am trying to work on this thing but am not sure which motor size to go by.

Also what could make the pushrods pop out from under the rocker arms? (Or was the PO just absent minded?)

Is this even the stock motor for my jeep? Is it the right/stock carb? Sorry, I am a noob with Jeeps. I got it to run but it popped through the carb so I took the valve cover off and found two pushrods just chillin.

Thank a bunch guys,

Josh

Last edited by jrb1449; 06-20-2008 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: edit: cant post pics as noob status....
jrb1449 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

Assuming that the engine is OEM: If it is an inline 6-culinder, it is a 4.2 liter (258 c.i.) engine. If it is a V-8 cylinder engine, it is a 304 c.i. (5.0 liter) engine. If it's a 4-cylinder engine, I don't know what the displacement is.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
hextex
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cliffords' makes performace pars for AMC engines ranging from intake manifolds to valve covers to push rods to camshafts. There is really no telling what all could be in the engine.
hextex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #4
jrb1449
1978 CJ5 

Damn. you Fellas are fast!!!

It is an inline 6. 1978 CJ5 lifted on 39.5's. (see last picture/link)

I was off looking for somewhere to upload pics so I can post them here.

AND THE NEW HOTNESS...... or hotmess....

Last edited by jrb1449; 06-20-2008 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: adding info
Unread 06-20-2008, 04:49 AM   #5
jrb1449
1978 CJ5 

Well, I put the pushrods back in place and retourqed the rocker arm bolts to 21ft lbs. Reinstalled and cleaned up valve cover, and re-installed carb. We will see i the morning if she runs a little better with all the valves working.

Next need to fix a brakeline, finish LED brakelight install, mount 3 row radiator from cherokee, check fluid and take her for a spin.

Pray for me!!!!
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Engine Codes

This should help you ,and others, identify engine codes.

http://www.amcrc.com/tech/engine.html

Edit, Carb is the Carter BBD. The lifters could be sticking or collapsed, but then never underestimate a PO.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
jrb1449
1978 CJ5 

well.... It runs like a champ!!! Looks like for one reason or another the PO just didn't put the pushrods under the rocker arms. Now that the valves all open and close it runs great!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.