What is this module? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What is this module?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

What is this module?

I know this isn't the ign mod that is under the overflow bottle. I have been trying to find out .it has rust on it and just don't want it to go and not have any idea what I'm looking at. It just sits there right next to the solenoid.

im002046.jpg  
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
titomars
1981 CJ7 

that is your emissions controller. its hooked up to the various electric switches controlling vacuum signals
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
frankenstienCJ
1978 CJ7 

They had emissions controlers? I would trace the wires and see were they go. It could be the emissions controler. I thought in 82 the emissions were all vacum.
frankenstienCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
titomars
1981 CJ7 

you have electric/vacuum solenoids on top of the valve cover. it also picks up some other perimeters from a few sensors. i just cut my module and all its wiring out the engine harness. if you would like a better idea what it controls i can check mine out but i am sure there is a wiring diagram on the forum you can look at too.
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

So I have all vac lines.so this thing is just an eye sore.Thanks for the info.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
CJOFlorida
1981 CJ7 

Great question. I was going to have to ask the same on my '81 - just haven't gotten to it yet. Let us know how things go after removal. I'd like to use ther same solution.
CJOFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It's just an idle speed control box for kicking up the RPM when some high electrical loads are runnin like the manifold heater, ac conditioner and a couple other things.

You can find it in an 82 schematic. It's all pretty basic stuff. It controlled a sol-vac on the carburator to kick up the RPM.
80-83scha.jpg  
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

John, so I take it that since I have no AC, engine or manifold heater as options, or that row of vacuum solenoids on the valve cover; the only thin it's being used for is my sol-vac on the carb. And since that doesn't seem to work right, and the fact that I have a Weber waiting to go on which I don't think it uses (could be mistaken); then I can probably remove this device and it's wiring without any ill effects, right?
It's an 82' 258 with the pollution parts remove or disconnected (we only have a visual pollution garb inspection) and I'm the only owner.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.