What lockers are the best buy for the buck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What lockers are the best buy for the buck

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-19-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
jeepin cj-5

What lockers are the best buy for the buck

I have a 73 cj5 with a 44 and 30 in the front. I want a cheap locker that is durable. I found a oem style locker (full locker) made by spicer for like 210. Is that locker trash? The jeep is light and has the 258 in it so its not tooo much torque. I was just wondering whick brand locker i should go with.

jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2006 XK Commander 

No experience with that exact one, but I personally like detroit products... where'd you find the price? I'm always lookin for cheap dealers..

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
MR.CJ-7

I have a Lockrite up front and it performs well I think it was about $250.
Unread 05-24-2003, 12:58 AM   #4
eight

Weld the rear end. I run a welded diff in my daily driver. No effect on handeling and just some tire squeeling in tight turns. Some say tires will burn off fast. Well, I can't tell any difference after 3K. And how many tires would you have to wear off faster to equal the cost of a locker? For most jeepers, they don't drive enough to matter. Stronger than a drop in locker too if you do it right.

For a cheap locker, it seems that the lock rite is best and detroit EZ is worst. This is based on from what I've seen break or hold up in my club. 1 broken lock rite, 11 EZs, 2 full detroits, an ARB, my first welded diff, and a spool. Most of us now run lock rite fronts and detroit or welded rears. As for the spicer limited slip, they're generally not considered any good.
Unread 05-24-2003, 01:47 PM   #5
rok_toy

Which locker???

WHere to start...

If you have a buddy with a locker in their rig, try driving it, so you'll know what it'll be like in yours.

I had a lockright, broke it twice.

I had a welded diff., lots of tire squeeling, and it only wants to go straight.

Presently running an ARB, the best of both worlds(in my eyes, well worth the price).

If you have your own air system(most of us do), the price for the locker is only 50-100 more than the detriot.

Also you could check into the new electric locker from trachtech(detriot), it's a limited slip(when unlocked), and a spool when locked. AWESOME idea!!!

The lockrights, and EZ lockers are less expensive...
but you get what you pay for!!

Good luck.
Unread 05-27-2003, 07:29 PM   #6
eight

Welded diff was fine with me. But the combination of a scrambler wheel base and narrow tracks if probably the best you could ask for. I'll see how it is when I finish the full widths.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.