What lift is needed to fit 36-38 inch tires a 1980 cj 7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What lift is needed to fit 36-38 inch tires a 1980 cj 7?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 01-16-2003, 04:10 PM   #1
jeepcj7

What lift is needed to fit 36-38 inch tires a 1980 cj 7?

What lift is needed to fit 36-38 inch tires a 1980 cj 7? Would a 4 inch suspention, 2 body and a spring-over-axle, work? How much do u think it would cost?

jeepcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2003, 08:28 PM   #2
cj5mudman4x4

I am pretty sure that would take care of ur tires.. all together u have like 9 or 10" of lift.. if that wont do it i dont know what will.. u might not even need the spring over..

a rough guess would be around 500-600.. but i duno...

Suspension Lift 4"- $400
Spring Over if done right, 4" or more- $150
Body Lift 2"- $75-100

hope that helps

check out www.off-road.com

this site will tell u how much lift for what size tire..
INDEPENDENT OFFROAD member Bowling Green, Ky
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2003, 08:32 PM   #3
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

SOA and 2.5" lift is sufficient - several of my friends are setup this way and it works fine with 37" tires.
Unread 01-16-2003, 10:23 PM   #4
mad_scientist

about 7-9" of lift is usually adequate.

a large leaf pack from national spring can get all of the lift for you in springs, or you can opt for variace combinations to get it

slightly longer shackles if you go with a high arch lift... this will let the suspension work better (probably consult the maker of your springs for their suggestion on added length).

spring over and body lift can get the rest of the clearance you need
mad_scientist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2003, 10:42 PM   #5
CSP

OldJeepguy has the right answer. You add 4" to a spring over and you're sitting in the 8-9" of lift range. Way to high to be comfortable and much higher than needed for 38's. If you have slight rubbing with that combo go with fender trimming and TJ flares or 1" of body lift.

cj5mudman your $150 estimate for spring over is a bit too low for one "done right". Your estimates also didn't include longer driveshafts, brake lines, and steering conversions needed with as much lift as you propose.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2003, 06:42 PM   #6
RockJeep
SirRocks'A'Lot

spring over, cut your fenders out or remove completely. I fit my 38 tsl's this way!
later
bob
http://rockjeep.alloffroad.com/photo6.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.