What kind of motor?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What kind of motor??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep
It is an engine, it burns fuel internally to provide power.

The 258 is an OK swap but it will turn it from slow into not quite as slow, it will not be a roadburner.

Could I suggest the mid 90s 4.0 HO from a Cherokee or Wrangler? You will need to do some plumbing and wiring to make the fuel injection and ignition work and swap out the exhaust manifold, radiator and a few other bits but it will give plenty of performance. As it is a development of the 258 it is a relatively easy fit.

The T176 is a good medium strength 4 speed from the early Eighties that will fit the 4.0HO and is a CJ original fitment. Plenty of other boxes out there as well but it will be well suited to the 4.0HO.

If you want to pep up that AMC 4 banger you may struggle. It was a bit undersize for a CJ but gave good fuel economy.
"No replacement for displacement!"

LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
dhubbs
1979 CJ5 

I dont know much about them, but golen engine builds a 4.6L stroker 6cyl that is supposed to be a bolt in engine. They claim around 270hp. They have always intrigued me and something i would consider when my engine dies. They are pricey though at around $4000. This would also require a transmission swap most likely to take the extra power.
dhubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
mattl
1986 CJ7 

For that amount of money, you could swap in a warmed over AMC 360 and run 87 octane gas. I would think the stroker engine is a higher compression and may require premium gas? Anybody have experience running one of these?
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
BrokeWJ
1999 WJ 

For $$$ sake a 4.0 or a late model Chrysler V8 would be a good swap. Inexpensive to get a good motor that'll perform acceptably. The auto variants used Chrysler transmissions and the motors are fairly compact, so it wouldn't be a bad swap. Where the Jeeps differ from Dodge pickups they're a lot like the vans or cars.

The AMC 360 can be, but they're fewer and further between along with generally more worn.
BrokeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.