What inch lift? (pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What inch lift? (pics)

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 04-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

This is my first CJ so most of this is new to me. I don't always know how things are supposed to look. Here is a pic that shows another angle. I just got done doing the wheel bearings and brakes at the time.

After looking at some other pics online I now can see how mine is different. Looks like we have some work ahead of us.

Unread 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Somebody explain what I'm llooking at in the first pic. Is the frame bent down?
This is the po's home brew srs.
It is highly dangerous, and I would not recommend it be driven on the streets.
Although some folks might not have a care in the world
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the SRS in the front.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #18
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71 View Post
This is my first CJ so most of this is new to me. I don't always know how things are supposed to look. Here is a pic that shows another angle. I just got done doing the wheel bearings and brakes at the time.
Great looking job you did on the front brakes.
If you can tell us how you plan to use it, and what other modification plans you have in mind, we could give some advise on what is usually the best way to reconfigure it.
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Thanks.

I was planning on going with 32's or 33's at largest, and 2.5" OME YJ conversion possibly a 1" body lift if necessary. It doesnt have to have a shackle reversal system. No winch in the plans, but may use the hard top and doors in the short winters we have. Since we live in FL, theres not going to be any rock crawling in its future. I bought this for my dad and I to build together and have fun with. It will see a good bit of on-road use, but will also see some offroad trails and such from time to time. Let me know if I am leaving anything out that would make a difference.
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #20
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

I like and would recommend reinstalling a SRS since the spring mounts have been removed and something will need to take the place.
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Sh...1_2_7686_2.htm
Personally, the M.O.R.E. through the frame SRS is the best out there and it does not change caster.
Either way you go, It will require welding.
The 2.5" OME lift is a good choice, And you will need a 1" bl to clear 33's.
As far as rear shackles go, I'd check out Jim's. He's a local on here which makes a superior product.
http://crabtreetool.com/jeep%20products.html
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #21
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

I do plan on going with some of Jim's excellent stuff. Actually sent him a pm.
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Since this thread is going a new direction Jim suggested I start a new thread.

Here it is: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/co.../#post13409827
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #23
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
This is the po's home brew srs.
It is highly dangerous, and I would not recommend it be driven on the streets.
Although some folks might not have a care in the world

Get over yourself. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. It may not be done well but I could not see from the pic. If so it may be fixable. You don't have to rip it all off and start from scratch with the best kit available.
RenoF250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #24
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Get over yourself. You gave your opinion, I gave mine. It may not be done well but I could not see from the pic. If so it may be fixable. You don't have to rip it all off and start from scratch with the best kit available.
You gave someone pi$$ poor advice on something you can't even see !
Good job Reno, I hope your not a mechanic or in the profession of dealing with the publics safety.
And yes, It is easier for Turtle to remove that contraption and redo the srs or go back to stock.
If you don't know what your talking about when it comes to safety, your better off not posting.
Unread 04-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #25
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

JMHO, of course, but I'd lose all that crap and get a quality suspension on there. The shackle reverse osis ok, but look at Mountain Off Road's SRS setups. For a CJ suspension I'm very partial to Rubicon Express's 2.5" and 4" Extreme Duty lifts. The latter are extremely compliant & flexible. I had one on my former YJ and ran everything from Pritchett Canyon in Moab to the Rubicon Trail with it. Several of our club members run the CJ version, which is the same with different shackles. They swear by them.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
You gave someone pi$$ poor advice on something you can't even see !
Good job Reno, I hope your not a mechanic or in the profession of dealing with the publics safety.
And yes, It is easier for Turtle to remove that contraption and redo the srs or go back to stock.
If you don't know what your talking about when it comes to safety, your better off not posting.
For what he said his plans are for the jeep, and since you suggested to take it all off and start over......... Wouldn't going back to a more "stock" or conventional set up be "easier" or more economical ?

Correct me if I am wrong ( because I am just asking) With a SRS and only 2.5" lift (even with a 1' BL) won't his 33" tires hit the rear of front fenders( or tub), due to the axle traveling the opposite direction (opposite a stock set up that is) Even with 32" tires will the SRS cause tire rub issues? Especially if he goes with YJ springs, cause they are a flatter arch, aren't they? Again I am just asking, I am not a suspension expert.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #27
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355

For what he said his plans are for the jeep, and since you suggested to take it all off and start over......... Wouldn't going back to a more "stock" or conventional set up be "easier" or more economical ?

Correct me if I am wrong ( because I am just asking) With a SRS and only 2.5" lift (even with a 1' BL) won't his 33" tires hit the rear of front fenders( or tub), due to the axle traveling the opposite direction (opposite a stock set up that is) Even with 32" tires will the SRS cause tire rub issues? Especially if he goes with YJ springs, cause they are a flatter arch, aren't they? Again I am just asking, I am not a suspension expert.
May not be an expert but he's right. Srs only benefits from arched springs.
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #28
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

He could go either way and be fine.
SRS is not only for arched springs.
There should be enough clearance with 33's while moderately wheeling.
The srs also contributes to excellent road manners.
If he choses to go back to stock configuration,
He would need to buy replacement frame spring brackets & front spring hagers as they have been cut off.
That's why I said earlier that welding would be required either way he chooses to go.
Either way will require about the same amount of time/labor to redo it correctly.
As a side note:
I never said he has to go back to srs.
I said if he liked the srs, that the M.O.R.E. Kit is pretty much the best, and it is the one I use/recommend.
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #29
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
He could go either way and be fine.
SRS is not only for arched springs.
There should be enough clearance with 33's while moderately wheeling.
The srs also contributes to excellent road manners.
If he choses to go back to stock configuration,
He would need to buy replacement frame spring brackets & front spring hagers as they have been cut off.
That's why I said earlier that welding would be required either way he chooses to go.
Either way will require about the same amount of time/labor to redo it correctly.

understood, points well taken.

I understand what's involved going either way, just wanted the OP to understand. So I thought I ask a few questions.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #30
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355 View Post
understood, points well taken.

I understand what's involved going either way, just wanted the OP to understand. So I thought I ask a few questions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.