Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What I learned about grinders yesterday

3K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  cj7ole 
#1 ·
I mean angle grinders, not the grindr app, lol. When I first got my jeep project, I needed tools. I had been trained to spend money on tools...good brands = performance & reliability, etc. And that is probably true. But then I realized I'm not on a NASCAR pit crew, and I'm probably not going to put my impact driver through the same gauntlet, and can therefore afford a lesser product. And so I discovered Harbor Freight. :). As we all have, I see those Chicago Electric 4 1/2"grinders in every build thread. I have two of them because I'm lazy.

They work great, but I have trouble fitting some grinding discs, either they are a hair too wide for the guard, or they stick out well below the guard. The strip discs simply will not mount with the guard on. So I went to Home Depot and looked at their grinders, and found that the guards are noticeably bigger. Take a look. 4.5" vs 5.25", though both are 4.5" grinders. Is it possible they shipped with the 4" guard, or is this just the reality of the Harbor Freight stuff? Anybody else struggled with this?

So I paid $21 for the Chicago Electric, but can only use it in certain applications, and I paid $59 for the Milwaukee, but can actually use it safely. $38 is $38, but I don't guess I realized that the "name brand" grinders were that close in price.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I find discrepancies in the "nominal" sizes even with more well-know brand names. I have DeWalt, Makita, and Chicago Electric (from Harbor Fright). I have both 4" and 4-1/2" grinders. Flat wire wheels labeled as 4" will not work on my 4" grinders without rubbing on the guard no matter what label so I use them on the 4-1/2" grinders only. I found that 4" wire wheels and 4-1/2" wire wheels are usually the same diameter.

Hard wheels though are more accurate to the "nominal" diameter. You just have to find the ones you like and note the brands and learn to observe the dish by appearance.

When HF has a sale on 1/4" thick hard wheels I buy them by the box. I do fabrication work on weekends much of the warm months anyways so I am going to use them. I still buy specialty wheels like thin cut-offs individually, or maybe 4 or 5 at a time and always get brand-names.

Makanak

#4 ·
Be sure to wear eye protection when using those wire brush wheels. The individual steel wires will fling out occasionally and if one hits your eye, you'll be in a world of hurt.

I can't help much with the guard size issue. I have two HF 4.5" angle grinders but only use them with 4.5" cutoff and grinding wheels. One of the grinders has been bullet proof for 6+ years, and the other one broke after 2 months. Typical HF story.

I have injured myself enough times with these devices that I rarely remove the guards. They're dangerous enough with the guards already.

#6 ·
Be sure to wear eye protection when using those wire brush wheels. The individual steel wires will fling out occasionally and if one hits your eye, you'll be in a world of hurt.
Always good advice. I had a wire come off and hit me in the face (always wear eyes), hit me in the upper lip just below the nose. Felt like I got punched in the face. Finished what I was doing and went inside and saw about a 1/4" of wire sticking out of my lip. Grabbed it and pulled, about an 1 1/2" of wire came out. Now I wear a face shield too.

#9 ·
If you're paying $21 for the HF grinder then you're doing it wrong! I too got tired of changing out disks when only having one angle grinder. So I waited for a coupon mag to come along from HF, which wasn't long and I frequently see them, and got 3 at $10 a pop... once I started doing some fab work tho they quickly took a dump on me! So now I have 2 $60 dewalts but for beginners and light duty users HFs are OK but if you spend more than $17 for one you're over paying.

#12 ·
Yeah, well the one they had this week for $9.99 (Drill Master brand) didn't get as good a review as the Chicago Electric. I've seen it for $15 before, but I'm at a point in my project where I need multiple grinders and couldn't be bothered to wait for it to go on sale, so I sucked it up. And then turned around and bought the Milwaukee, too. So the real lesson here is that I suck at finance. :p

#16 ·
#17 ·
I was using a DA sander one day and set it to grinding mode. The adhesive disks I was using must of been on the shelf for a couple of years.
The adhesive did not hold and the disk slipped of and hit me in the stomach.

It hurt like h3ll and when I lifted up my t-shirt there was about a 4" cut in my stomach. 8) and these are just paper disks.
I threw the rest of the disks out.....

#18 ·
I was using a DA sander one day and set it to grinding mode. The adhesive disks I was using must of been on the shelf for a couple of years.
The adhesive did not hold and the disk slipped of and hit me in the stomach.

It hurt like h3ll and when I lifted up my t-shirt there was about a 4" cut in my stomach. 8) and these are just paper disks.
I threw the rest of the disks out.....
That'll teach you to skip abs day.

#22 ·
So I was cutting apart a CJ7 frame to stretch it for my son's CJ8...got almost all the way through on the second side when the frame pinched the cut off wheel.
The grinder shot back at me so fast I couldn't react! (no jokes about aging boxers, please)
I took the shot in the midsection. Didn't even tear my flannel shirt. But man, oh man, it was a good hit.
I opened the flannel, and peeled up my T-shirt, and holy frijole, no wonder it hurt so much. I punched a heck of a hole.
Off to the emergency room, and 14 stitches (some internal) later, I was back in the shop.
6 days later I went on a previously planned 100 mile bicycle ride. I figured I'd be fine, after all, I trained all season. Uhmm, I wasn't fine.

#25 ·
So I was cutting apart a CJ7 frame to stretch it for my son's CJ8...got almost all the way through on the second side when the frame pinched the cut off wheel....
OUCH!!!

Plan for pinches like that. Get the part being cut off secured so it can't move; support both sides in at least two places (four in all) - more if necessary for large items like a motor vehicle frame - and clamp both sides of the cut to stable benches or horses.

But really, if you are going to be cutting frames like that use a tool that isn't going to take off on it's own if there is a pinch. Plasma torch is perfect for that. Yeah, I know, 1200 bucks or more. You have to be doing a lot of that kind of work to justify the cost. Another choice would be a Sawzall. If the blade gets pinched it just yanks your arms a bit. It isn't likely to come back and attack the operator. I have never had a Sawzall come back and bite me. Angle grinders have. But not that bad.

Makanak

#26 ·
Been using grinders for years and fortunately don't have any good stories to tell. Not proud to say it but I am in the "guard removed" group. Have had cutting wheels suddenly evaporate and plenty of wires hit me in all the wrong places. In an effort to protect the one undamaged eye I still have(unrelated to grinders) I began using a full face shield. If for no other reason than how much more comfortable I am when using the grinder with that face shield, I am hooked. The trick is to always use a good clean, scratch free shield. As soon as it gets dirty or scratched you are going to take it off and then it doesn't do much good. Keep a spare. You will never know what your vision is worth until it is compromised.

#30 ·
I learned not to lay on your back in shorts and sandals and try to cut the exhaust off with a grinding disc. Turns out it'll kick out and land in your lap. Whoda thunk it?
Shorts and sandals are :nono:

For the sake of personal safety, PPE is REQUIRED for all mechanical work. I know, you are working on your own stuff at home and OSHA rules don't apply so you can do whatever you want. But for your own personal safety PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) is required.

I wear long jeans and steel toed boots. I may wear short sleeve shirt on warm days - important to have no sleeves below the elbow when working around moving machinery such as lathe, drill press, table saw, etc. - unless I am welding or the weather is cold, and always leather gloves and goggles as I described in previous post when using grinders.

Makanak

#29 ·
Two summers in a row I had to go to the ophthalmologist to have a metal particle removed from my left eye. Both have left scars in the cornea, fortunately outside my field of view.

The first one I was not wearing safety goggles, just regular large lens reading glasses. The second one I was wearing wrap-around safety glasses and the speck came in around the side, bounced off the inside of the lens into my eye.

Now I use a face-contact goggle that seals against my face and has indirect vents, not unlike a ski goggle with foam all the way around.

One of these, Uline or Uvex, both available from Uline.com:

Product Font Circle Number Paper

Makanak

#31 ·
Believe me, I learned my lesson! Can you just imagine if that grinder kicked out and landed on your face? I've dodged the bullet too many times so I don't mess around anymore.

Shawn

#33 ·
Yeah, I grew up in SE Connecticut. That Italian Submarine Sandwich I pictured is what was sold as a "Grinder". And "Sub" is just short for "Submarine" due to the shape resembling the submarines of the US Navy. "Spuckie" is a new term to me.

Makanak

#36 ·
In England a sandwich is an item which uses sliced bread from a loaf, those "grinders" using hot meat are burgers, the cold cut ones are rolls.

#41 ·
Also a good hint is a tool that only has a momentary on off switch. I had a angle grinder that had a full time on off switch and I must have hit the disk and it shattered a piece off while I was upside down under a semi and I had eyes on but the piece embedded itself just below my lower left rib, I dropped the grinder but it didn't turn off and the wheel spun on the ground while I pushed out from under the truck it spun towards Me and got a finger down to the Bone. But didn't sever it so a lucky day for me. Next time I'm upside down grindin I'll wear a leather welding half jacket to do a little more protection but. Not so hot like a suit

#42 ·
An old trick to help with severe bleeding is to have a roll of electrical tape around with about an inch pulled up and folded over so it can be used one handed or with your teeth.

I've discovered the almost unfair advantage of a thin cutting whell to remove things like hangers and such. NEVER use the trigger lock. They get feisty when bouncing around. Oh and cut quick.....

#44 ·
The "grinder" sandwich was named for the guys from the shipyard that came in wanting a sub-like sandwich. The guys were mostly welders and grinders.

I have a commercial grade 4.5" Skil grinder which has served me well. But my son has a soft start 6" Metabo grinder, still small enough to use one handed (he is an ironworker). The difference in size makes for an incredible difference in performance. Plus you get a lot more life out of a wheel. Pricy though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.