What gauge wire should go to Duraspark module? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What gauge wire should go to Duraspark module?

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

What gauge wire should go to Duraspark module?

I'm in the process of cleaning up all the wiring under the hood which was a complete mess. I'm doing the Nutter Bypass and have removed all of the old computer wiring.

I want to do a clean install of the wiring and want to use Weather Pack connectors at the ignition module instead of the Duraspark connectors which leak and corrode badly (I've never pulled one apart that wasn't). Both of my female Duraspark connectors at the module are broken, anyway. The only issue I found with the Weather Pack connectors is they only accommodate a 12 ga. (thin wall insulation) or smaller wire. That's fine for the distributor wires, which are 16 gauge. However, the red wire supplying power to the ignition module is a 10 gauge wire (the one that's spliced into the ignition switch wire, resistance wire, and alternator excite wire). Is there a need for a 10 gauge wire from this splice point to the ignition module connector?

Reason I ask is from the Duraspark connector to the module, this red power wire is only a 16 gauge wire just like the others. Is there any reason that the short section of 10 gauge wire can't be changed to 16 gauge wire?? From the Ford pics I've seen, it looks like they used 16 gauge for it all. (Not to mention the replacement Duraspark connector NAPA sells has all 16 gauge wires coming out of it.)

Is this OK to change?

1984Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
ozzieb
1977 CJ5 

I would think it would Be ok if stayed with 16. Do a search on Jeephammer Threads he covers alot of wiring issues. his threads has helped me alot.
ozzieb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.