Is this what a front outshaft leak looks like? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this what a front outshaft leak looks like?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdMarch Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 04-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Is this what a front outshaft leak looks like?

Hey guys,

1983 jeep cj5 258 4 speed. This past winter is the first time ive had to long term use my 4wd and my dana 300 sprung a decent drip leaving leak.

I degreased areas of it and this is what I saw. Is this a front outshaft seal leak?

kov

11127889_10203212219221288_5225268935238728718_n.jpg  
kovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Your picture's not great but I assume it looks in person like it's coming from just behind the yoke?

If that's the case, the answer is yes, and to get to it you'll have to support the T/TC, remove the pan and the front drive shaft, get a big wrench to get the yoke securing nut off, pull the yoke, get a seal puller, lube the new seal as recommended, then drive in with a small piece of suitably sized PVC pipe to get it to lay in evenly. Then, reverse the directions! Use a new nut - I forget what they're called but they act like nylock nuts in that they don't back off without some force.

Relatively easy if you can do it on the hoof, without having to remove more than the pan and drive shaft.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Hmm sorry about the picture, i thought it was pretty clear. The gear oil slowly started to leak right around that circle marking, where its shiny in the picture. But thats even the best view I could get without taking the skid plate off.

I was thinking output, just wasnt sure if there was anything right above that that could be leaking also.

thanks man
not sure if any better shot.

kov
10929945_10203212419066284_2586964168994805101_n.jpg  
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Could be! I am at work and can't look at mine, but I don't think there's really any other leak path in that area..

Depending on how long the front sat without moving, could have loosened/cracked a cold/dry seal, and made it start leaking once it was all moving around again, or you could have worn bearings. One way to check for sure would be to clean your housing all the way around so all the drips, oil/sludge is gone, and then drive in 4wd for a little while and check after. Feel all around the front of the housing to make sure it wasn't running down from somewhere above....

You could also check end play. Wiggle the yoke and feel/see if you have excessive movement left/right and up/down as well as in and out. If you do, just changing the seal may not solve your issue. If everything seems tight, put a new seal on there.

Drop the shaft from that end, use a 2/3-jaw puller to take off the yoke, inspect the yoke for wear and buy/install speedi sleeve if necessary, pull out the seal, install new one and lube the seal surface, install yoke and torque nut to 125 ft-lb, install driveshaft, top off/change fluid as necessary.

I don't think you need to drop the pan, but it may make it easier to see.... I used a flat head to take them out when I just did my TC rebuild, worked pretty well.
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Oh it's clear - it's just hard to see the area where I would expect an output seal leak to be. Not your fault, you can't really get a good picture without taking the pan off. That's a better view of the front driveshaft than I'd expect given how tough it is to get up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz View Post
I don't think you need to drop the pan, but it may make it easier to see.... I used a flat head to take them out when I just did my TC rebuild, worked pretty well.
You are way more talented than I am, my man. I can barely reach up in there to remove the straps holding the drive shaft on, I can't imagine trying to do a seal with the pan still on
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
kovic
1983 CJ5 

I can wobble the front drive shaft a little. Is any movement acceptable?

And thanks guys for the steps required, will need to refer to them!

kov
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Tehcnically you should use a dial indicator on the end of the yoke to truly check end play, and the shaft should be out.

The only reason I suggested it was not really because of the leak, but more because you are there kinda deal. If you didn't have a leak prior to the winter, I would assume it's not because of worn out parts; gears and bearings don't wear from sitting.
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Ah ok dirt, hey walker, where would you expect to see a leak if it was outshaft seal?

kov
Unread 04-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Oh and the leak is worse right after driving I think, it leaves a decent drip area, size of a cup maybe then slows down. Maybe just cause its warm.

kov
Unread 04-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
CSP

The output shaft is the only thing in that area that can leak.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Just a suggestion that I don't think has been mentioned yet, but I think I'd swing around to the other end of the skid plate and check the vent on the case and make sure it's not clogged up. I don't have any direct experience with your setup, but it's an easy check.
mikeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

CSP has more experience on this answer and I trust him, but where you should be looking? Think of the yoke as a hand with a cuffed shirt. Underneath that cuff of the yoke is where the seal sits. If the seal is leaking, there'll be a leak right behind that cuff, usually on the bottom because of physics.
Unread 04-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Ohh I see, thanks for the visual, well shoot not sure then. I will top it off for now,and when I get some down time, like when I dont need it as a daily ill possibly just pull the case out and do a whole seal job on it.

thanks guys

kov
Unread 04-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
kovic
1983 CJ5 

This is it after a drive
img_20150417_192727245_1429313423179.jpg  
Unread 04-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #15
CSP

If gravity isn't pulling gear oil from somewhere above that, it's the seal.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.