What is the exact size of the screws that attach the hardtop to the windshield? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What is the exact size of the screws that attach the hardtop to the windshield?

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
vsanzbajo
1986 CJ7 

What is the exact size of the screws that attach the hardtop to the windshield?

I need the size and what type of screws I need for the hard top to windshield.
I need all of them. Can you show pictures of the original screw type and specially the head.
Thanks in advance.

th.jpg

vsanzbajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
coxhaus
1979 CJ7 

I use pan head short screws. I think some are number 10s and some are 12s as the holes have worn. The front ones don’t seem to matter because you have bolted the top down in the back which is really holding the top down.

Oh don't tighten them down too hard as they will strip, just snug.
CJ7 79 258 Clifford Stage II, intake, headers, cam, and head. Weber 38x38 w Cagle, Rancho 2 1/2 body Mallory dist and MSD, dual batteries Ramsey winch T18 Dana 20 with Teraflex gears AMC 20 ARB disc Dana 30 Lockright Aero 26 gal tank Tomken Machine bumpers and swing out spare tire. 33" procomp Xterrain tires.
coxhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
RARECJ8

I keep going bigger. Eventually they wallow out. Self tappers are the key with a dab of silicone on threads.

Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel
www.hillsangels4x4.com
RARECJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

You are better off tapping the sheet metal with either a 8-32 or 10-32 threads as there is enough thickness to do so. The windshield frame at the top is spot welded together holding the inner and outer skins so you essential have two pieces of 18 gauge steel sandwiched together which more than enough for a 32 thread pitch. I was able to use 8-32 threaded screws to hold down my Bikini top rail and it has never come loose. Sheet metal screws will eventualy strip out from the constant removal and installation of the screws.

These type of screws pictured are what would work best and are very close to the originals Indented Hex Washer screws. Shown are the originals screws for the center caps of OEM wagon wheels but you can get them in a 8-32 or 10-32 thread pitch also.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I think mine are 10's

One day I saw a couple of boys stopped on the side of the road, walking off into a large ditch, then I noticed what they were looking for, their CJ jeep top was down in the bottom of that big ditch, it had blow off.

after seeing that, I always snug those front bolts just a little tighter.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

my suggestion is to replace them with latches. If you are interested I can share what I did on my Scrambler. I installed 3 latches across the top. I used jacknuts in the top and then tapped drilled holes in the windshield frame. Works like a champ.
AdamH07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.