What Engines directly bolt up to The TH400 Transmission? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What Engines directly bolt up to The TH400 Transmission?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
CherryCj7
1979 CJ7 

What Engines directly bolt up to The TH400 Transmission?

I was wondering what engines can directly bolt up to the TH400 Transmission besides the AMC engines. I was looking to go for fuel injection. I heard that the 305 may be a direct bolt on. is this true? Any suggestions for the fuel injection and direct bolt on?? Any Six Cylinders, smaller V8's...? thanks - CherryCj7

CherryCj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
JimNut
1986 CJ7 

Pretty sure AMC engines and the Chevy engines have different bolt patterns.. I believe AMC used an adapter plate on the earlier models that came with the TH400 but later on had a completely different case.

If your using a standard TH400 from GM some engines that will work are:

4.3 v6
305 v8
327 v8
350 v8
400 small block v8

I'm sure there are more but that is a short list. Pretty much any small block v8 from Chevy will bolt up.

JimNut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

The case used for jeep TH400s is different than the regular GM case. You'll need an adapter to bolt it to something other than AMC. Check out novak's website.
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

As far as I know its only AMC engines that will mate to the TH400 that came behind AMC's. The bell housing is specifically cast for the AMC. GM also has the TH400 but the bell housing is different. You can swap the shafts between two transmissions to still utilize the Q trac with a small block chevy but it requires a complete trans rebuild to do so or the adapter as mentioned above. Someone will chime in on info to adapt a TBI (several people call it junk yard efi) to the AMC.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

And if you are looking for a th400 for a Chevy not all GM TH400s are the same say a Buick or Olds TH400 will not bolt up to a sbc
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCj7 View Post
I was wondering what engines can directly bolt up to the TH400 Transmission besides the AMC engines. I was looking to go for fuel injection. I heard that the 305 may be a direct bolt on. is this true? Any suggestions for the fuel injection and direct bolt on?? Any Six Cylinders, smaller V8's...? thanks - CherryCj7
Depends on what version of the transmission CASE you have.
The internals are all mostly the same, it's the case that has been made in several different versions.

There is the B.O.P.. bell housing/bolt pattern,
Meaning it will bolt up to Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac,
There is the 'Chevy' case that will bolt directly up to any standard Chevrolet engine, I-4, I-6, V-6 or V-8, doesn't matter...

There is the AMC/Jeep version that will bolt up to any of the standard I-6 or V-8 AMC engines.

--------------------------------------------------

When anyone starts talking about THM-350 transmissions,
Then you are restricted to about EVERY GM ENGINE ever made from about '85 back to about '45 or so.

There weren't any THM 350 cases made to work with AMC engines, but you can buy an adapter if you just MUST use an AMC engine.

---------------------------------------------------

If you are considering a Chevy engine,
Then consider the 700R-4 or it's electronic counterpart, 4L60E over a THM-350...
You get a stronger transmission,
Deeper first gear,
And you get overdrive on the big end.

Too bad AMC/Jeep never used a 700R-4 behind an AMC engine, that would be a nice arrangment to have with factory parts.
-------------------------------------

Other transmissions from the AMC factory include Torque Flight A-727, just as seriously strong as the THM-400,
The down sized and weight TF A-999, were both made with cases that will bolt up directly to an AMC/Jeep engine.

Anyone that craps on either one of these choices has never worked in a transmission rebuild shop!
These are TOUGH transmissions,

The TF A-727 is just as tough, maybe more so, than the ford C-6 and just as tough at the THM-400.

The TF A-999 is just as tough as any of the THM-350 transmission, and more fuel efficient to boot!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Just curious, what is a THM-350 transmission?
Is it the same as the TH-350?
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
CSP

Yes, same thing. Turbo Hydramatic
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
iagmc
1974 CJ5 

THM was metric
Th is standard

The amc t400 also uses adaptors to the engine.
If you look at the fallowing pictures, it has all parts needed!

http://iagmc.shutterfly.com/auto
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagmc View Post
The amc t400 also uses adaptors to the engine.
If you look at the fallowing pictures, it has all parts needed!
Depends on what year the TH400 is. The first run had the adapter shown in your pictures and the pattern was the Buick nailhead to AMC. The next run (starting in '72?) used no adapter and had the AMC pattern in the transmission case.
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
iagmc
1974 CJ5 

This was on a 73.

I can not speak for any newer. From others I have spoke to, these parts were missing when the bought theirs and were needed. They were using it on late 70s. mine are all older than that.
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
CSP

How many "others"?

My '76 Cherokee had no adapter between the tranny bell and the engine block.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with the exact year they went from a nailhead Buick pattern with an adapter to an AMC pattern.
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
iagmc
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
these parts were missing when they bought theirs
Did I say anywhere or implied that it was factory? 76 very well could have been a different trans.
Amc did have contracts and still bought what they could afford. I have seen strange things on Jeeps.
Willys, Kiser, AMC, Mopers (1st years) all had one thing in common, they all used the previous owners left overs. When AMC took over they changed things twice before they decided on a platform. hence all parts on 76 and newer mostly (I use losely) interchange. The year means almost nothing in the 70s changed suppliers so much and took leftover parts to next years run.

I will say that the 76 in the cherokee prob had the d300? this has the d20, d300 might be a good indicator that it would not need the adapter. I don't know for sure, it is newer than any of our stuff.

Long story short. AMC T400 were not all the same. Check before you buy.
Unread 02-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
CSP

Jeep D300 was only used in CJ's. My '76 had the Qtrac as did 95% of full size Jeeps with the TH400.

You're preachin' to the choir in regard to AMC using leftover parts, but by the mid-70s all of the TH400s had the AMC pattern.
Unread 04-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
CherryCj7
1979 CJ7 

Alright, I have been looking at nokak's website and it does not have the AMC Th400 to GM engine adapter. They dont have the TH400 with the AMC pattern transmission on the site at all that i can tell. All they have are the chevy TH400 transmissions. Do they have this adapter (GM engine to AMC TH400) and i just do not see it? Any help would be great. Thanks - Vince
CherryCj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.