What engine for 1958 cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What engine for 1958 cj5

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 04-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
XtreemJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What engine for 1958 cj5

I have a CJ5 that needs an engine. I am not looking to find and drop the stock 4 in there. I was hoping someone may know about an engine that I could put in without too much modification. I hear everyone putting in these 350s. Someone said I may be able to drop the straight 6 in. Can I put anything in with a new mount kit?

Thanks for any help

XtreemJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Not enough length between the firewall and grille for the I6. Choices would be limited to the I4, V8 or a V6.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

What is the ultimate goal of your build?

1) F-134 would be stock resto
2) A late model 2.5EFI could have a stockish appearance if done right, but with twice the HP and the convenience of fuel injection
3) Buick V6 was a factory option from '67 to '71 and still a popular swap option. Although the original were 225 odd fire, 231 even fire are widely available and have a similar external appearance.
4) Buick V8, especially 350 Buick, will fit if you're looking for something bigger. The benefit of this engine is the forward dist location. Late CJ grille and 304 radiator make installation easy, or there are aftermarket options.
5) Ford 302 or SBC will fit, but more modifications and aftermarket parts are required than with the Buick.
6) Straight 6 will not fit without cutting a hole in the firewall and sliding the engine back, or putting a postal grille on the front. There are too many better swap options available to seriously consider this route.
7) VW Rabbit Turbo Diesel is an awesome swap option that fits like a glove, but rebuildable cores are like Hen's teeth, and runners fetch a mint.
8) Ford 4cyl "Pinto" engines were popular back in the day, but I think the late TJ 2.5 mentioned above would be even better for the EFI.
9) Christian Hazel of JP Magazine put a late GM V6 (3400?) crate engine in his flat fender. Although the late model engines are designed for FWD cars, you can use an older 60deg Camaro/Firebird/S10 bellhousing as an adapter.
10) There is a board member Scott Milliner at www.earlycj5.com that swapped in a GM-based OMC boat engine complete. Nice looking swap and very practical for an offroad environment.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.