What is dumbest thing you've done while working on your engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What is dumbest thing you've done while working on your engine?

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 09-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

What is dumbest thing you've done while working on your engine?

I'm laying here in bed after knee surgery and really enjoying this forum! My wife has become a Jeep widow! I like reading about the experiences of other Jeepers, and I got to thinking about some of the dumb things I've done while working on a vehicle... not necessarily a Jeep. Would anybody add their experiences? It could be a good laugh.

Cheers

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I forgot to add mine... pouring 5 quarts high-end synthetic oil through the block right into the bucket. I forgot to put the drainplug back in! I had no more oil and no way to go get any, and I was due at work. Dumb, dumb, dumb...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Lifesgoodhere

I did something before, but it wasn't on a Jeep, but my Toyota Rav4....when I was changing the oil, I forgot to install the filter...oil all over the radiator...yeah, I turned the engine off real quick when it started raining oil.

Another one, was when I was installing lift springs on my friends YJ...forgot to put a jack stand under the axle when we began dropping it with the jack!! I benched an rear axle until my friend put a stand under it!!

Yet another...while I was trying to get my other friends Cherokee running again - don't ask how it quit running; I forgot that it was in gear, and my friend told me to start cranking while he had 2/3 his body in the engine bay....just guess what happened....I gave him a startling ride lol!
*The Homestretch ---- Finishing the Hammer. It's on!!
Lifesgoodhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
NHwheelin
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I thought working on my CJ was going to be EASY. Yeah 25 yrs. of dirt, grim, and rust changed my mind real quick. Or the simple suspension swap from one of my friends XJ's to the other. Yeah real simple... Not disconnecting the battery when changing out a starter. I hit the frame with my ratchet while tightening up the positive side of the connection. Gave me a startel when it started turning over
Unread 09-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
hfjeff
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just got the lengthened driveshafts back from the machine shop, slapped them in and started it up........in REVERSE! Luckily I had a 500+lb. steel workbench behind it and the spare tire on the back or my CJ would have been in the kitchen! Not a scratch anywhere, but left some nice black marks on the attached garage floor. Never did tell the wife about that one.
MY DAD's: 1978 CJ7/ AMC 360 .030" over/ Motorcraft 2100/ Edelbrock Performer/ Proform HEI Ignition/ Hedman Headers with dual Flowmaster 40's/ Taurus Fan/ FK-35 Control/ Painless Harness/ Rebuilt T150 & Dana 20/ 4" Lift/ 31" Procomp Mud Terrains/ All Fiberglass. (SOLD)
MY BROTHER's: 1996 ZJ Limited/5.2L/117K & Completely Stock.(SOLD)
hfjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Not on the jeep, but when I changed the oil on my Altima I did not realize that the seal from the previous filter detached from the filter and stayed stuck on the block. I installed the new filter on top of the old oil seal. Needless to say I had a bad leak as soon as I started the car.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

I cranked my CJ one time while standing outside of it. I forgot that it was in reverse, and well...

Luckily the 258 I6 has some insane amounts of low-end torque, and she cranked right up after a second and drove right out the back. The sailing dinghy was what stopped it. The CJ actually drove up and over it (notice the tire marks and cracks in the fiberglass) and also collected the riding mower. It's a good thing that crap was behind there or else I fear I would have been swimming after it in the canal behind my house.
Unread 09-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
slacker92104

I've done the start in gear thing from outside too. Unfortunately because it's fuel injected, it dumps a ton of fuel in for a few seconds. The thing lit off so fast it almost knocked me down. I could barely keep up with up, and then when the start sequence was over and the rpm dropped to idle I ran right into it because it slowed down so quickly. I managed to dive thru the door finally and knock it out of gear then hit the brakes with my hands with my legs hanging out the window. Fun Fun Fun! Luckily it was in a parking lot we were using to replace the alternator that had crapped out during an offroad trip. The only casualty was my buddies 180pc or so craftsman tool set. The case was smashed and we spent about a half hour picking up and sorting sockets.
Unread 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker92104 View Post
I've done the start in gear thing from outside too. Unfortunately because it's fuel injected, it dumps a ton of fuel in for a few seconds. The thing lit off so fast it almost knocked me down. I could barely keep up with up, and then when the start sequence was over and the rpm dropped to idle I ran right into it because it slowed down so quickly. I managed to dive thru the door finally and knock it out of gear then hit the brakes with my hands with my legs hanging out the window. Fun Fun Fun! Luckily it was in a parking lot we were using to replace the alternator that had crapped out during an offroad trip. The only casualty was my buddies 180pc or so craftsman tool set. The case was smashed and we spent about a half hour picking up and sorting sockets.
LOL! I can't imagine running into it... what a surprise! I hope nobody saw it. I would have been awfully embarassed.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 09-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #10
tombstne
1982 CJ7 

the jeep in the street, engine running, hood up... I closed the hood but the rod didn't latch, rod hit the spinning fan, bent and ripped up the radiator. sure like my Taurus fan
tombstne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 06:45 AM   #11
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Dropped off my truck at the wife's job to take her car home and change the oil. Got home in her car and dropped the oil only to remember that the case of oil was in the back of my truck!

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #12
dsl4me
1979 CJ5 

Years back was starting my old Suzuki snowmobile. Wasn't standing on the running boards, instead was straddling the sled. Didn't know the carbs were partially frozen in the open position. When it fired up it shot out from under me as I watched it drive off.
Luckly it stalled 50 or so feet later before hitting any trees.
1984 CJ7 Fiberglass body
258/T5/Dana300
*project*
dsl4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
CJhollic
1980 CJ7 

I was changing the carbuerator with my son and was so intent on making sure he did everything right I wasnt paying attention to what I was doing. I dropped a nut down the intake and did not know it. Oh well, I wanted a new motor anyway. I didnt have time to fix it so I took it to a garage my company does a lot of business with.

They still snicker when I come in.
ViAir Onboard Air
TeamRush ignition upgrade with MSD 6a CDI
Dual Batteries
KC Daylighters
Cold Air Intake
Lock-Right Lockers
Yukon 1 piece axles
Custom Bumper& Swing Out Tire Carrier
Mile Marker Hubs
Chevy Blower Upgrade
1500 lb airbag suspension
Floor mounted gun rack (2 guns)
CJhollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #14
ajstewart
1985 CJ7 

The tranny on my YJ was slipping out of first all the time so i started using my ebrake alot when i parked on hills...well on the day i went to the junk yard to get a new peugot tranny i stopped at seven eleven to get coffee, ten minutes later my jeep had relocated itself across a busy street and into the parking lot on the other side perfectly backing up in to a spot...only one problem...there was a f250 occupying that same spot
ajstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

GREAT STUFF!!!!!!

Love the pictures of the torn canopy and bumper boat! SO glad your Jeep didn't hit the canal. Keep it coming....

Have a great weekend.

Cheers!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.