Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What does your wife think of your CJ?

4K views 58 replies 49 participants last post by  ConleyTD 
#1 ·
My wife has been bugging me to get rid of the '84 CJ7 that I have. She thinks it's a piece of junk and that it will never be fixed up. Of course, I like it just for the fact that it's fun to play with. It's a stress reliever for me.

But, now she's going to kill me. A Co-worker and I are talking, and he has a '80 CJ7 that's been sitting around for 10 years. He had it running well, decided to strip it down to the frame to do some repair and found the frame was rusted through in spots, so it's been sitting since. He just offered it to me free if I come and get it. I know I could use some of the parts for my own rebuild, but the wife is going to kill me. She wants me to get rid of one CJ, and what do I do, get another. :) I figure she'll get over it eventually.

Here's some pics of the first one she wants me to get rid of. Haven't seen the free one yet. It's going to be a couple weeks before I make it over to pick it up.

http://www.4x4owners.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=1

#2 ·
Welcome to my life :) I went the "she'll get over it eventually" route. I don't think she's actually gotten over it...more like she's just given up because she's realized she's wasting her breath. :brickwall:

#3 · (Edited)
You know I'm damned lucky.....been married to her 10 years today and not only does she like riding in the Jeep but she loves how my kids like working on it with dad.

I chose damned well. :)

#4 ·
Well I'm not married so this might not really count. But my girlfriend loves working on my CJ with me. She always has me explain what I'm doing and why. Shes a great little parts cleaner. And she even reads up on Jeep info to understand more. I'm doing my study abroad and she told me she misses going to work on the jeep. It's great quality time. Shes looking for a TJ right now. But I can understand how a wife may be different.

Lucky me.

Edit: she is on JF, so I was kidding about you just being a parts cleaner hun!

#6 ·
Ya know, I'm lucky that I get the support of my wife when it comes to things in the garage.
In your case though, I think your wife's dislike of the Jeep leads you to only one choice. You want to keep peace in the home and everyone needs to live in harmony. How are you and two Jeeps going to find the needed time alone to work out what needs to be worked out while your wife is nagging you? I don't see it as a successful relationship, either send her packing or tell her to get a second job to support your Jeeps constant need for parts and attention.

Good luck, we've got your back.

#7 ·
I have an interesting perspective as I just got married 3 weeks ago.

When we first started dating, she loved Jeeps, she even had/has one. She loved working on it with her Dad and eventually I came into the fold and we worked on hers/mine.

Then, we bought someone else's project and she worked on it with me weekend after weekend until it was done, she seemed to be really into it, I was psyched, I asked her to marry me.

We got engaged, bought the house, moved in together, and started working on the house, no more Jeeps for her... she still has hers, I have my couple and I work on mine whenever I can, but she doesn't even drive hers really anymore.

She still likes them, but she isn't as much into as she was.

so, if you have a girlfriend that LOVES jeeps, watch out, it could fade once that shiny piece of ice goes on her finger... LOL...

She reads the forums from time to time, so I am sure she will get a kick out of that one... lol....love you

cb

#8 ·
Actually, I just got married 2 and a half months ago. And she didn't really like it from the start. Well, let me rephrase that. She likes riding in it when it's running well, she doesn't like being seen in it because of it's appearance. So, that's some incentive to rebuild it. On the plus side, the Jeep (soon to be Jeeps) is at my parents house in their barn, so I have room to work on it there and she doesn't have to look at it in the mean time. I think that takes a lot of the stress about it away. She can kind of forget about it. Plus, once we sell my house and we just have one mortgage to pay, that should help things as well. November 15th is the closing, so I'm looking forward to starting the rebuild around then.

For those of you who have wives that support your addiction. YOU SUCK! (did I say that outloud?) I mean you are damn lucky!

#10 ·
Can she really be mad if it doesn't cost you anything? :D My GF thinks I'm nuts and doesn't understand why I like working on it more than driving it. Or why I like to ride around in something that makes me smell like miscellaneous oils and lubricants. She does enjoy riding around topless with me though.....the jeep is the only thing topless unfortunatley but at least she shows some interest in learning about it and doesn't hold it against me.....yet! She's a keeper for sure.

#11 ·
I think you need to Define "cost", my Jeep has over 1200 hours into it.
The yellow one I built has over 600, the grey one like 200 and the current one has like 200+

So... that is 2200 hours you aren't doing the following

1) Mowing the lawn
2) Painting
3) building the deck
4) Fixing the roof
5) Taking out the garbage/dump
6) Raking leaves
7) Splitting wood

and the list goes on... feel free to add.

So the cost is, if you are working on your Jeep and NOT spending money, you could be doing something else that would ultimately benefit the 2 of you in other areas.

So, I don't think it is JUST the money that makes em mad, it is that you aren't doing other things that will benefit them as well as you are spending 2200 less hours paying attention to them.

cb

#12 ·
Fatman said:
Good luck, we've got your back.
yeah when she makes you get rid of them. we will all be here waiting to take them off your hands..

and my wife is only pissed at me because the jeep is not put back together yet and the weather is just perfect.

I keep gettting the ol' sure would be a nice weekend for the jeep.

She is right though....... Just got to figure out how to get it painted......

#13 ·
Mine just wishes I'd get my finished so she can stop hearing about it.

#14 ·
My wife loves our jeep. As a matter of fact, when we saw it for sale, she's the one that said we should stop and look at it. While I was trying to decide if it was a good idea or not, she's the one that convinced me to go for it. We have kind of an unspoken understanding: The jeep is not a priority. All other expenses, home and vehicle maintenance, and most importantly, our dogs, all come first. Then I can spend whatever time and money(sort of) that is necessary to keep the jeep running and in good condition. Her opinion is, while you're there, you might as well fix everything.

#15 ·
I dont have a wife, but my GF claims that she is all for me getting my project. She wants to help if she can (never done car stuff, but she wants to learn).

Im curious if she is just saying that to be the nice GF... or if she really means it. Maybe it's a setup so just when I think she is the greatest girl.... :ballchain:

#16 ·
my wife and I have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

as long as it's in the garage (out of sight) we don't discuss it.;)

my saving grace is that the kids love it.

to be fair, I owned 4 jeeps when she agreed to marry me, (we got engaged on the rim of the Grand Canyon after a Jeep trip), so she knew what she was in for! :thumbsup:

Hoss

#17 ·
certifiablejeep said:
The yellow one I built has over 600, the grey one like 200 and the current one has like 200+

1) Mowing the lawn
2) Painting
3) building the deck
4) Fixing the roof
6) Raking leaves
7) Splitting wood

So the cost is, if you are working on your Jeep and NOT spending money, you could be doing something else that would ultimately benefit the 2 of you in other areas.

So, I don't think it is JUST the money that makes em mad, it is that you aren't doing other things that will benefit them as well as you are spending 2200 less hours paying attention to them.

cb
wait until you have kids...
1) staying quiet in the garage since junior is asleep
2) changing junior's diaper
3) buying all "necessary" things to keep junior happy (yes, he DOES care if there are clouds on the walls and airplanes hanging from the ceiling)
4) $50 date nights turn into $100 nights due to babysitters

Wait until your wife spots the roofers working on your neighbor's house looking in our garage and she immediately asks him if he wants to buy it.

Does anyone know where to hide a body in Western NY? lol!

#18 ·
Wife doesn't mind it. She actually wants to see it cleaned up so she can ride in the Jeep. She refuses to right now since the stock suspension is shot and it "runs her organs through the blender".

Plus, she refuses to let my Great Dane get in her new car, so into the Jeep the slobbery *** dog goes. (=

#19 ·
certifiablejeep said:

cb
You just hit the nail squarely on the head. My wive *loves* to ride in it & go wheeling, but she doesn't want to deal with everything else that goes with the package. I work pretty darn hard (full time job plus consulting on the side which is what pays for my habit) and take care of my responsibilities around the house before the Jeeps get any of my time (you'll notice that I usually work in streaks...I'll get nothing done for months on end, then go full bore on a Jeep for a few weeks). It's about the time not spent doing what she wants done/wants to do and the money spent on something other than what she wants to spend it on.

#20 ·
A bit different here. I am retired and my wife loves for me to work on the Jeep since it keeps me out of the kitchen and lets her have some "peace and quiet." Most of the work is just fiddling with it.
She is the one that wanted a Jeep and now when we go anywhere locally we take the Jeep. She loves riding in it, but doesn't want to drive it. I hate to say this, but my motorcycles aren't ridden nearly as much since we got the Jeep.

#22 ·
certifiablejeep said:

1) Mowing the lawn
2) Painting
3) building the deck
4) Fixing the roof
6) Raking leaves
7) Splitting wood

cb
I was only referring to the Jeep not requiring any $$$ to come home and live in his garage (something we all wish we could find given the ever increasing value of the CJ's). All of us here know that as a general rule of thumb nothing associated with the word "Jeep" can be tied in any way to the word "free"! Kind of ironic, cuz nothing having to do with the words "girlfriend", "wife" or "marriage" can be related to the word FREE either! :D

#24 ·
Lucky me! She is the one that insisted on getting a Jeep, she purchased the one I picked out. I do have to pay for the upgrades and do all the work on it, but the smile she has everytime she drives it makes it all worth while. :2thumbsup:

#25 ·
White92 said:
Man this thread is the best pre-marriage counsellings I could ever get online!
one of my favorite quotes:

'marriage is like a hot shower, once you've been in it awhile, it's not so hot...'

Oh, hi Honey! what's that? yes, I'm sure I will be very comfortable sleeping in the jeep tonight... yes dear, signing off as we speak...

:laugh:

Hoss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.