What does the rear seat latch to? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What does the rear seat latch to?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
midnightc2
1986 CJ7 

What does the rear seat latch to?

I've got a 86' CJ7 with a rear seat that pivots forward on two brackets located towards the front. At back of the seat there's a latch in the middle that goes to nothing. Right below it on the floorboard is a bolt that holds in the two center seatbelts, but nothing to secure the seat to! Since I have kids that ride back there I really want to find out what goes there.
I have aftermarket Besttop seats in front, but don't believe the rear is since there is no embossed "B" on it. It only pivots to a 45 degree and the back does not fold so I'm not sure if it's considered a solid mount seat or not. I am pretty sure it's not a fold and tumble seat. I've looked online to buy it and have searched to see just pics of it, and can't find anything. If I have to make one I would like it to look as stock as possible. Does anyone know what I'm looking for, or what type of seat I have? If you've got a pic I would be very grateful. Thanks guys

midnightc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.

Last edited by CopperCJ7; 06-15-2009 at 06:47 AM..
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
midnightc2
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for the speedy reply copper. I didn't figure they were stock, thought maybe from a yj..... I'll have to unbolt them to see if there's a label underneath. As far a taking pics, I just started this account and can't post pics yet. Thanks again for the input!
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightc2 View Post
As far a taking pics, I just started this account and can't post pics yet. Thanks again for the input!
Sure thing. But go get a free account at photobucket.com and post the IMG code in here. Someone will make it click-free for ya.

As an after thought- you could always sell that seat and pick up a CJ seat or a comfy aftermarket seat for your rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 03:27 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Late model Jeep CJ's had fixed rear seats bolted to the floor up until 1984, 1985 and 86 model CJ's had fixed seats with an available fold and tumble seat as an option. See photo below.

The fold and tumble seats pivot on two brackets on the front and hinges itself in the middle to fold down. There should be two locking latches on each side of the wheel houses to hold the seat in the normal sit position for factory seats. Bestop "Fold & Tumble" also mount this way. Manufactures like Steel Horse, Rugged Ridge, and Smitty Built have there fold & tumble seats mounted with the same front two brackets but the rear has a single latch that bolts to the floor in the middle. See photo.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.