What does my 79 CJ5 have in it?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What does my 79 CJ5 have in it??

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Elkaholic
NMElkaholic

1998 ZJ 

What does my 79 CJ5 have in it??

Hi all, I have done many searches and have figured out some of it, but I am trying to figure out what this Jeep Has in it. This is what I think I have found out so far???

Engine = V8 Amc 304
Tranny = 3 speed T150
Transfer case = Dana 20
Front axel = Dana 30
Rear Axel = AMC 20
Gears = ??? 3.54 ???
Alternator = ???
Carb = ???

any thing else I'm missing??? I just want to know what I am workin with..

PO said everything is stock???

Thanx for any info you can give....

98 5.9, Platinum 4.5 RE SF all adjustable arms, RE Monotube Shocks, Carolina front drive shaft, Pro Comp Extream Alloys Stryker's, 285/75/16 BFG's KM2's,Stage 1 rock sliders,Confer roof rack,Warn XD9000i winch, 3" Kolak exhaust system, Addco front swaybar and lot's more goodies.. 79 CJ5 AMC 304 33x12.5 Pro Comp X-tream mud tires on 15x12 MT classics. 3" lift.
Elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

What you have indicated sounds right if it is stock.
Carb: Carter BBD
Alternator: Delcotron
Ratio: 3.07 standard, 3.54 optional
littlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Elkaholic
NMElkaholic

1998 ZJ 

thank you for your reply!!
98 5.9, Platinum 4.5 RE SF all adjustable arms, RE Monotube Shocks, Carolina front drive shaft, Pro Comp Extream Alloys Stryker's, 285/75/16 BFG's KM2's,Stage 1 rock sliders,Confer roof rack,Warn XD9000i winch, 3" Kolak exhaust system, Addco front swaybar and lot's more goodies.. 79 CJ5 AMC 304 33x12.5 Pro Comp X-tream mud tires on 15x12 MT classics. 3" lift.
Unread 03-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
Hi all, I have done many searches and have figured out some of it, but I am trying to figure out what this Jeep Has in it. This is what I think I have found out so far???

Engine = V8 Amc 304
Tranny = 3 speed T150
Transfer case = Dana 20
Front axel = Dana 30
Rear Axel = AMC 20
Gears = ??? 3.54 ???
Alternator = ???
Carb = ???

any thing else I'm missing??? I just want to know what I am workin with..

PO said everything is stock???

Thanx for any info you can give....
*IF*...
(And that's a BIG *IF* with Jeeps and their PO's!)

'79 CJ-5 with V-8,
Should have a 304 CID V-8 Engine,
Displacement on AMC V-8 Blocks is embossed right in the side of the block next to the engine mount, so you should be able to EASILY identify it...

On top, you will have a Motorcraft 2100 Carburetor.
Not a bad off road carb, and still used by a BUNCH of us today since it works.
The 2100 is a Holley design, and may of them were built by Holley, so if you can tune a Holley, you will find the MC 2100 VERY EASY...

'79 Will also have a Jeep/Motorcraft ignition with 'DuraSpark' module.
Distributor Good, Coil Fair, Module leaves something to be desired.
Easily upgradeable, even in 'Emissions' states.

Alternator will be a Delco Remy SI
series alternator, a 10 SI to be exact.
VERY reliable and easily upgradeable that is a direct bolt in.

Steering box is probably a Saginaw... and is upgradeable to a Variable Rate box by getting one from a little newer version of FSJ (Full Size Jeep).
The variable box is a bolt in upgrade.

The Front Axle will be a DANA 30.
All CJ's from '72 to end of production in '86 used Dana 30 Front Differentials.
Weak, and 'Upgrading' them is like putting pearls on a pig...
No matter what you do, it's still a small, weak Dana 30.

The Transmission is a good question, and the best source of information on that subject is here,
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...on_gateway.htm

The TRANSFER CASE will be a Dana 20, strong, but not the best version to 'Twin Stick' and it's not adaptable to 'Low Crawl' ratios like a Dana 300 is.
Personally, I've NEVER had a Dana 20 leave me walking, and I beat the CRAP out of them!
But I TRAIL RIDE with MUD obstacles, and not 'Rock Crawl'...

The Rear Axle Will Be An AMC (Spicer built) Model 20 with the differential centered.
Easy to spot by it's perfectly round rear cover with 12 (Torx head) bolts ...
The center housing, pinion, ring gear, and differential carrier are all fairly strong,
BUT,
The CJ version has weak, thin tube material, small, failure prone wheel bearings, Two piece Axle shafts, and small brakes.

All CJ-5's were 'Narrow Track', where later CJ-7-8 vehicles went to a wider axle...

The only CJ past '74 with a Dana 44 in the rear was the '86 CJ-7, and that axle will be wider than your current axle.

Springs went from 2" to 2.5" in '75, so you have the 'Wider' springs, and that will make things easier when you decide to change springs or axles.

If you DON'T have a Tilt column already (Fairly rare in a CJ-5) the Tilt wheel from any FULL SIZE Jeep Wagoneer from '86 back will drop right into your CJ.
I've used several of them, and it's MUCH easier than trying to use the 'Chrysler' version of steering column, or rob one from a GM vehicle and adapt it...
(Jeep used GM steering Columns, But the FSJ column works best if you can find one)

Wiring on the '79 is minimal, but confusing, and it's the first year of the 'standardized' fuse block.

That's all that comes to mind right now, but if you have specific questions, feel free to ask...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Elkaholic
NMElkaholic

1998 ZJ 

Jeep Hammer: thanx!! that is a lot of info, and good to know!!

I will prolly have more questions as I go thru this Jeep....
Unread 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

This is *ASSUMING* everything is stock... Which it usually isn't!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
JeffMcBusa
1979 CJ7 

Jeephammer, you sir, are a fountain of information! I did your headlight wiring modification, with your help of course and I love it. Thanks
JeffMcBusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

My mistake on the carb, sorry. I was thinking 6 cylinder.
littlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Elkaholic
NMElkaholic

1998 ZJ 

Thanks!!! I appreciate it!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.