What does the ignition lps fuse link to? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What does the ignition lps fuse link to?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
chrisdj1992
1984 CJ7 

What does the ignition lps fuse link to?

I replaced my battery and alternator yesterday and I (as they say in ghost busters) crossed the streams. I connected the positive cable to the negative terminal and vise versa. I think I caught it and removed them before anything was damaged but in my rush to get them off I touched my wrench to the fire wall and sparks flew. Long story short I blew the ignition lps fuse. Obviously the jeep won't start (cranks but no ignition) but my radio, and fuel gauge stopped working as well. Is this typical af a blown ignition fuse or should I be looking for something else as well? Also what can be damaged as a result of crossing the streams?

chrisdj1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Replace the fuse and see. I bet that would have made a funny Youtube video.
Unread 04-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That is the ignition and dash lamp fuse. Likely the gauges too.

If it still won't run after a new fuse, check the fuse link wires on the fender solenoid.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
chrisdj1992
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1
Replace the fuse and see. I bet that would have made a funny Youtube video.
Yes I'm sure it would ha ha! I replaced the fuses (turns out the radio fuse was blown as well) started up great, then It died later after replacing the alternator and no luck I realized that the wire that runs from the alternator to the solenoid had broken so I reconnected it now it's running like new!

Fitting that my jeep would die on Friday and then be resurrected today
chrisdj1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdj1992 View Post
Yes I'm sure it would ha ha! I replaced the fuses (turns out the radio fuse was blown as well) started up great, then It died later after replacing the alternator and no luck I realized that the wire that runs from the alternator to the solenoid had broken so I reconnected it now it's running like new!

Fitting that my jeep would die on Friday and then be resurrected today
If the wire that broke is right by the fender solenoid, that is s fuse link. You need to replace it with fuse link wire or a 60 amp fuse. It is there for fire protection in case of a short.

Parts stores usually sell fuse link wire by the foot. You need 14 ga fuse link for the alternator circuit.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.