What do you think of Windshield lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What do you think of Windshield lights?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 09-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

What do you think of Windshield lights?

What do you guys think of those windshield lights on CJs? Do they take away the look of the CJ or do they look ok? Also do they help with visibility offroad? Allowed to use them on road? Thanks

This kind:

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

Looks like they would prevent the windshield from being folded down. For that reason, I wouldn't have them.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If they are mounted on the windshield hinge you can get a lot of glare off the hood and having a well lit object immediately in front detracts from seeing a darker object further away so they are practically useless for anything more than checking your hood catches are fastened. As they are at your eye level the glare off them will effect your vision so leaving them on for long periods would be a rare occurrence. They could have some utility offroad, but this is not a good position to mount them.

Whether they look OK or not is in the "eye of the beholder" but I prefer either a roof bar or bumper mounted as they are more practical and do not have the above issues. Having them on the roof allows for them to be mounted at a radically different angle and height to the headlights which will allow for illumination from a different and higher angle, not just stronger or wider or narrower illumination from the same position. Having said that the bumper mount is also a great option and can give a wider field of illumination than the headlights or a narrower one depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Proper large spotlights are not legal to use on the road, they break all sorts of regulations about lighting and hence are normally sold for off road use. However when mounted on the hinge they would be such a pain on highway I doubt anyone would try to drive with them for very long. The type of bulb and the spread in your chosen spotlight can also be dangerous as they are not designed like headlights to give a specific vehicle friendly pattern on dip beams, a high mounted HID with a wide spread would give great illumination out to about 70-80 yards, a narrow beam out to 150 yards, but any oncoming vehicle will be in the ditch.

Jeeputhi has a swivel mounted lamp on the drivers side hinge. It can be used to illuminate objects away from the vehicle. Utterly useless and almost never used it, but as the PO fitted it at least it was free. The only time I used it was when my headlights went out due to a fuse box issue (PO rewired it, not standard) and I limped home with the spotlight showing the ground in front.

There are alternatives out there to mount the lamps higher than the hinge but to avoid the glare I would mount them above the windshield.

If you are expecting to give them some serious use you could look at some of the Australian 4WD websites at how the Aussies mount them and the types of lights they are mounting. The Outback has a lot of gravel roads and the Aussies tend to drive quite fast along them for long distances with no other vehicles in sight. Lighting is very important to avoid roos and washouts and holes so they tend to have very large and powerful light arrays on their rigs to illuminate the track far ahead and up close. Being the Outback usual civilised rules of highway use do not apply.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

They would also make the passenger rear-view mirror even more worthless than it already is.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This is teh hinge mounted lamp on Jeeputhi.

Also here is another idea, it is a Mahindra MM with lights mounted at the top of the grille. They will be within about 12 inches of the level of the hinge mounted lights but no glare issues and they are mounted as high as they can go on the front to get some downward lighting and extend the range of illumination over bumps and obstacles.

However the beam axis is still pretty close to the headlights so it will be a case of more illluination and maybe wider illumination but on almost the same axis.
hinge-mount-light.jpg

mahindra-mm8.jpg

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This kind of setup would avoid glare and those lights at the top of the vehicle are looking down. Maybe the ones on the front are long distance lamps and the ones on top are wider. Either way looks like a good setup.
bg2851230897893p3_08.jpg

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
kjonesie
1983 CJ7 

Back in the '80s I had a 5 with a light bar that mounted to the top of the windshield. (remember when Sears carried all the Jeep stuff?) With the 4 KC lights turned on it was almost impossible to see anything other than the hood. It may have been better with some kind of shield on the bottom of the lights but they were mainll for looks anyway.
kjonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Not a fan!

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

You're building the Jeep for you, not me. For all the reasons already mentioned, I'm not a fan. But again, It's YOURS and YOU are the critic. You don't have to answer to me on this one!
Unread 10-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
wm69

Used to have on both Jeeps. Took both sets off. Glare off of hood was terrible.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Lawless_Jeep
1985 CJ7 

I happen to like my windshield mounted KCs, and find that I miss them being in my line of view when driving something else. You should check your state's laws beforehand, because here, it is illegal to have the covers off of any light above the hood line while on a road.
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I like lights on the windshield when mounted up high. I've had them on mine for decades and plan to put them right back. Mine are located using ConFerr brackets and positioned up high enough where the don't glare my hood, a 6" lights top is no higher than my hardtop, and the ws. can be folded down without the light hitting the hood because of the taper towards the center front. Sealing the mounting screws is also key.

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.