What do you guys prefer 8 cyl (304) or the 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What do you guys prefer 8 cyl (304) or the 6

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-28-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
LAUSTIMUS

What do you guys prefer 8 cyl (304) or the 6

If you were getting a 76 - 79 or so CJ-7....

And for what reasons?

Most of the guys I see around Colorado seem to have the straight 6 with the 4 speed in it.

Thanks guys

LAUSTIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
jeepmor

6 banger is my preference

I like the 6 banger, but I'm biased since I own one in my 84 CJ7. The V-8 would be nice, but the AMC 8 is spendy to build relative to a chevy.

Building a 6banger up is not a cheap option either, but there's some sick and twisted satifaction wheeling better than someone with a V8, it's more finesse than brute strength. I guess that's why I like the straight 6 over the amc V-8. However, I would rather have a chevy V-8 than my straight six any day. The more GM parts that I put on my straight six, the better it runs.

For example - ignition problems--->GM HEI from their straight six is fully tuneable with a $5-10 spring kit, and $30 for a crane vacuum advance kit....solved all my stumbling idle issues that were present with the FORD Duraspark distributor I had recurved...twice, and could never get the problem solved.

And Howell TBI, which utilizes all GM parts, what a great setup. I flopped my jeep on it's side once, lost all oil pressure for a few seconds, but it was just purring like a kitten, like it did not know which way was up. Of course I shut it down, righted the jeep, checked the oil and so on. I was back on 4 wheels and rolling as soon as I fixed the blown bead that put me there.

And try finding BBD carbs that are worth a poop, good luck, or any of the emissions cluster of junk that came on them in the 80s for that matter. ALL that came off when I put the howell on, now I have a jeep with that and a catalytic converter only, passes smog like a dream, every time. And I can get GM TBI parts at nearly any parts store nationwide. Try getting anything emissions related to the airpump era in a day and your a lucky jeeper. It's never personally happened to me, I always have to wait a day for those parts to be delivered, even in a metropolitan area like Portland, Oregon.

happy jeep shopping

jeepmor
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2004, 08:40 PM   #3
LAUSTIMUS

Sounds like you got a pretty fun setup

thanks for the info.. and idea's if I end up with the 6
LAUSTIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2004, 08:48 PM   #4
xxxflhrci

I had 'em both. For off-road slow crawling, I would take the 6. For on the road driving, I would prefer the 8. The 8 got better mileage than the 6, plus sounded a lot better with a set of glasspacks on it.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Jeepmor,
Did you see a decent power increase with the Howell TBI? What about gas mileage? I've been thinking about it for my 80 CJ-5.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2004, 05:11 AM   #6
meich75

I've had both in my 5 and I really like the V8. The 258 was a great motor (until it caught fire) but nothing like having the power of the 304. You can never have too much power, you can still finesse a V8, just because the power is there doesn't mean you have to use all of it.
meich75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2004, 12:23 AM   #7
CSP

Why stop at a 304???

Go 360 or 401. I have one of each along with a 258. I still like the 258 for the low grunt though.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2004, 01:00 AM   #8
4x4GGG

Weight wise, I don't see much need for the 8. I would think that's enought o get yourself in touble. But that's just me.
4x4GGG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2004, 08:26 PM   #9
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4GGG
Weight wise, I don't see much need for the 8. I would think that's enought o get yourself in touble. But that's just me.
The weight difference is only 40 pounds (500 vs 540). My winch weighs more than that.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

Ive got a 304 and love it. One thing I like about a 6, though is ALL that extra room to work on it!

Murph
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAUSTIMUS
If you were getting a 76 - 79 or so CJ-7....

And for what reasons?

Most of the guys I see around Colorado seem to have the straight 6 with the 4 speed in it.

Thanks guys
I had a 304 and up'd to a 360...something about cj's scream toughness and beast. If I wanted finesse I would have bought a wrangler or something newer and packed some panty liners...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
..If I wanted finesse I would have bought a wrangler or something newer and packed some panty liners...
...or a Liberty.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Ahhh...this is a 8 year old thread...
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve
Ahhh...this is a 8 year old thread...
Good thread to debate! Lol
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.