What do I really need to rebuild my SBC 350? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What do I really need to rebuild my SBC 350?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

What do I really need to rebuild my SBC 350?

Okay I want to rebuild my 350. What kind of tools do I REALLY need to get this done?

First I am almost finished disassembling it how the books I have says. Then I will take it to the Machine Shop. And have the block and the crank honed

Now they will tell me the size pistons I need. Will they tell me the size bearing, etc. I need also?

And when I have all this I have to then buy a engine kit. And reassemble by the book. Now will I have to measure all this like the book says? Or can I "trust" the machine shop?

I am really confident I can do this...But the entire part about measuring clearances and assembly stuff is just making me a bit nervous. Trying to decide if I really need 300 or more bucks in new tools.

Thanks

brian

CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Just my take on most of the stuff I've had 'proffessionals' do: Trust no one, unless you're right there watching every step of the way.

You will need:

Feeler gauges to check ring end gaps and piston clearance
Ring Expander (I don't like doing this 'by hand')
Ring Compressor to install pistons with rings into cylinders
Rubber tubing to cover connecting rod bolts (so you don't score up the pretty cylinders or nick the pretty crankshaft)
Micrometer/Caliper (a decent one)
Bore gauge is nice, because... Well you just never know...
Torque wrench(s) (3/8" and 1/2" Get the click type. They are cheaper than the digitals, and nicer than the beams)
Plasti-gage kit to check crank/rod bearings
Dial Indicator and magnetic base (nice for checking a number of things)

There's probably a few more that I've forgotten, since I don't rebuild automotive engines anymore. It's more cost effective, IMO; to purchase a Short/Long Block or a Reman. Unless you're building some super exotic, one off, ultra high performance engine....

Personally, I would have the machine shop (if they have a good reputation) assemble the Long block for you. That way, they can do all the measuring/fitting. A reputable shop will check all the critical clearances, even if they've done the machining. Sometimes ya get a bearing, piston, piston ring that aren't right. Rings that are too loose or too tight are just bad news. Same with bearings.

I'm assuming they are also doing the heads? Because if you're assembling them yourself, there are a number of other specialty tools that you should have.

JMO: If you just gotta do it yourself: Have them assemble the short block and heads. Go get the assembled parts and put the engine back together. There's enough 'hands on' just doing that.
Unread 06-05-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'd at least check piston/bore clearance and bearing/crank clearance.

I got a bunch of parts back from a machine shop for a 327 I was building several years ago. They had turned the crank 20/20 but gave me 10/10 bearings. I didn't check clearances. Fired the engine up and had "0" oil pressure. At about 2000 rpm it had 5 psi or something like that. Sooooo... ended up pulling the engine, stripping it down and I found the bearing problem. I'd check.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.