What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 983 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #14731
tgoodbar

After the shop that did my valve cover gasket loosened the two middle head bolts my operating temp went up. Not over heating just warmer than before. Is there any cause for concern. No white smoke and its still running great just warmer

tgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #14732
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodbar
After the shop that did my valve cover gasket loosened the two middle head bolts my operating temp went up. Not over heating just warmer than before. Is there any cause for concern. No white smoke and its still running great just warmer
If they are retorqued and you see no water in oil or oil in water and exhaust doesnt smell sweet from burning antifreeze and you are not losing water, it could be something else!

The only way those loosenings might give you a higher temp is; it caused a warped head or block, it moved or damaged the head gasket so as to allow water into piston bores. Both unlikely. So keep an eye on water level both in overflow and rad. Check oil cap and rad cap for signs of comingling. Check oil dipstick too.
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #14733
tgoodbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2 View Post

If they are retorqued and you see no water in oil or oil in water and exhaust doesnt smell sweet from burning antifreeze and you are not losing water, it could be something else!

The only way those loosenings might give you a higher temp is; it caused a warped head or block, it moved or damaged the head gasket so as to allow water into piston bores. Both unlikely. So keep an eye on water level both in overflow and rad. Check oil cap and rad cap for signs of comingling. Check oil dipstick too.
Yeah I went through and checked it all and there's no signs of any warpage or anything. Might just be a slipping fan clutch. Clogged rad maybe? Like I said its not over heating just running hot
tgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #14734
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

I bought a set of 8" chrome wagon wheels off of an 80. Kind of rough looking but couldn't beat the price. Here is the first one I cleaned up next to an uncleaned up one. It doesn't look as good in person as it does in the picture, but I am still very happy with them!
1388879311054_zps015a7205.jpg

bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #14735
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdatkins View Post
I bought a set of 8" chrome wagon wheels off of an 80. Kind of rough looking but couldn't beat the price. Here is the first one I cleaned up next to an uncleaned up one. It doesn't look as good in person as it does in the picture, but I am still very happy with them!
I have been looking for chrome wheels for a long time. Actually converted a set of aftermarket wheels to take the Jeep centers

Nice job

This is what I did today.
Some goodies arrived yesterday.

First up was testing the mercury switch in the bulb fixture to see if it worked, it did.

Next up was to clean it up as best I could, it did not come out to bad.

Cleaned up the wire retainer clip which came out very nice, sand blasted the screws and painted them.

A hint on painting bolts, get a piece of plywood and drill different size holes in it so that bolts will screw into the holes. Then you can hold or hang the board and spray the bolts without spraying your hand. It can be used over and over again.

Checked that I had power in the wiring harness to run the light and mounted it.

I tried to put the same twist in the wire that was shown in one of the previous pictures of a stock installation.

I like it. (yes I did clean the area under the hood where the light mounts, the rest of the under hood area is a project for another day).

Questions;

1)What bulb should be in the fixture, I started with a 57 instrument light, went to a 69 license plate light and ended up with a 1156 marker light.

2)Any idea what the three little clips are for?

Ok, I can now count myself in the club that must disconnect their under hood light if you are going to leave the hood open.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #14736
jcmooreusmc

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here she is! Picked it up today. Don't have pics of the motor, but it's a nicely rebuilt sbc350 w/ some mods. Everything is set up for the 350.....motor mounts, adapter for t-15, etc. plan is to keep it soa and do a frame off.
image-2398099665.jpg

image-2573381479.jpg

image-3100685084.jpg

image-3896058452.jpg

image-488754263.jpg

jcmooreusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #14737
Speedy94c

1977 CJ5 

OK I got all those wires found and put the new wires in and a new set of tail light/brake/turn sig lights. I have no brake lights. I have been chasing this and chasing this. I have the original column in and the replacement tilt column. I have plugged in both and same thing no brake lights. I can turn on the hazard switch and at times they will blink but with the new lights it will not. I wiggled my wires under the dash once when my son was there to help me and they would work sometimes and then go off. I just couldn't get them to stay working. The more I have thought about it and thought about it It seems the turn signal switch must be bad, but wait not 2 of them. I have 2 columns im working with. Well I decided to go and buy a new turn signal switch tonight, if it don't work well its $30 bucks for a new one that I can use in my new column anyway. I got home went to my CJ snapped in the switch and low and behold brake lights, turn signals!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOOO RAAAY.
Speedy94c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #14738
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Drive it about 25 miles today, got up to about 60. Time to refurb the steering. That was a white knuckle ride for sure!

Sent from some place where I should probably be working, but I'm outside smoking instead...

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #14739
KultureCJ5

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJensen
Drive it about 25 miles today, got up to about 60. Time to refurb the steering. That was a white knuckle ride for sure! Sent from some place where I should probably be working, but I'm outside smoking instead...
I am about to do the same to my Cj5. Ordered a new heavy duty Borgeson steering shaft. Mines been hammered and got way to much play in. Putting in new dampener as well. Can't wait for solid steering. No more white knuckles. I'll post pics of the process

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
KultureCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #14740
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Did/doing the brakes. I hate drum brakes. Plain and simple.

Sent from some place where I should probably be working, but I'm outside smoking instead...

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #14741
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJensen View Post
Did/doing the brakes. I hate drum brakes. Plain and simple.

Lol, call me crazy but I kind of like doing drum brakes. Not sure why, maybe because it's one of the first things I learned or because I've done so many over the years.

But I do really appreciate having front disc.
scottg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #14742
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg73
Lol, call me crazy but I kind of like doing drum brakes. Not sure why, maybe because it's one of the first things I learned or because I've done so many over the years. But I do really appreciate having front disc.
Thankfully my fronts are disc! Question on the drums though, should the brakes grab equally when the parking brake is applied? With the CJ on jack stands, and the parking brake applied, I can move the drivers side rear wheel about 1/2" forward, rotating it backward is almost like a slight dragging on the brakes. Any ideas?

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #14743
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

They need to be adjusted. Get the vehicle off the jack stands and take it for a drive. On a not busy street, back up and hit the brakes a few times to self adjust them. They should be OK then.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #14744
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
They need to be adjusted. Get the vehicle off the jack stands and take it for a drive. On a not busy street, back up and hit the brakes a few times to self adjust them. They should be OK then.
I don't think mine are the self adjusting variety. At least not according to the diagrams I was looking at.

The CJ Express

"100 BUX" Build Thread
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #14745
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

You sure they aren't self adjusting? I adjust them out as far as possible while still being able to slide the drum back on. It should be nice and snug with a very slight drag with no brake applied.

If you can't get the drum back on adjust them back in a little until you can. Then go through the slot in the back plate and adjust them out until you can no longer spin the wheel freely...then back off little by little until you spin it with just a slight drag.

If they're self adjusting just adjust then as best you can, then hop in and drive back and forth, braking, about 10-15 times.
scottg73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.