Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  rixcj 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#19,201 ·
you don't want to know:(

#19,207 ·
Started researching an anti spring wrap setup, so the springs don't flex on super hard pavement launches. I wanted something like the '65 Shelby GT350R over-rider traction bars, but don't want to give up off-road flex. Not that my Roughest Country 5"-ish springs flex that much at all!
What I'm thinking of is an air bag mounted 1/2 way between the axle tube & front spring mount. Air it up for the streetlight drags, & air down for off road. I'll have to fab the spring mount and put a decent size/thick plate up top on my glass tub.
Thoughts from anybody w/hi-po and lunatic driving style? Anybody? Bueller?

#19,209 ·
Hutch,
I'm running a basic ladder bar setup on mine, with a shackle and bushing up at the t-case end, and two heim joints at the axle end. It doesn't really limit the suspension much if any.
Here's a buddy of mine, and me on the same RTI ramp. His TJ with a 4" lift and long arm setup. Mine had stock YJ soa springs at the time.
He barely beat me.

I'm in no way to qualified to offer any advice in the HI-PO department, but I do have some experience in the lunatic driving style end. ;)

#19,210 ·
Thanks for the info Skiz. And after seeing your great videos, there is NO doubt you are firmly in the lunatic driving camp. And I mean that as a sincere compliment. And I throw compliments around like they are manhole covers!

#19,213 ·
My friend Bob at the clutch connection is a veteran jeep builder and has been hard at work pulling my old transmission and D300 short shaft. He is building me a fresh t18 6:1 and I just ordered a Lomax 4:1 and complete rebuild kit with heavy springs for the twin stick conversion. While all of that is out of the way the rest can be detailed and new exhaust built with o2 bung. I also picked up a 21 gallon poly fuel tank but am concerned it will hang down a little low but the extra 6 gallons would be nice to have. Has anyone done put the MTS fuel cell in?

Attachments

#19,219 ·
Were trying to correct steering issues or driveline vibration issues? Did the 4* affect your driveshaft angle at all?
Was looking to correct steering issues. PO had installed a 4" spring lift and 1" longer shackles and steering wandered pretty bad. The shims definitely improved steering...still a 30 year old truck but much better steering at speed. Not sure about front driveshaft angle but the rig will get mostly street use so not overly concerned.