Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  84 Laredo cj7 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#19,003 ·
Looks nice but I don't know about running a hard line from the engine to the frame.
Could break, fatigue or other nasty things. Use some flex line or at least a simple loop.
Good point! I never took into consideration engine torque! Back to the drawing board...

Thanks for pointing that out!

^^ the line needs to be able to flex with the engine movement. Since the body is off, why didn't you run it down the driver side frame rail like the factory did? Other than that it looks nice.
It would have been a challenge to run it down the driver's side, without being too close to where the proposed exhaust system will run.

Also, there was really no good path to get from the fuel filter back down to the drivers side frame rail (again....the exhaust...).

Rich

#19,004 ·
I see no need to start over. Cut out a section between the frame rail and the engine, put a small flare or bubble flare on each end if you have one of those tools ( I don't have a bubble flare maker) and use a rubber fuel line to bridge the gap. The flare probably isn't really even needed for low pressure fuel lines. Done.

#19,005 ·
I see no need to start over. Cut out a section between the frame rail and the engine, put a small flare or bubble flare on each end if you have one of those tools ( I don't have a bubble flare maker) and use a rubber fuel line to bridge the gap. The flare probably isn't really even needed for low pressure fuel lines. Done.
That's what I was thinking, too. But to play it safe (??), I just ordered a short length of braided stainless rubber hose. I'll leave it a little slack, to allow for engine movement.

Rich

#19,006 ·
Filled up with Sunoco yesterday, noticed less light load rattle compared to the fuel from Sam's club.... Both regular grade. Now wondering just how bad their fuel is..

#19,011 ·
My original Cassette AM/FM radio unit started acting up today. I have it running via a cassette adapter because the antenna's board for AM/FM got fried during a rainstorm so I have to use the Aux setup. Well today I clicked the PRO(gram) button while it was playing music and it started screwing up. I tried popping the cassette adapter out and back in, it worked for a little bit but then I turned my heat off and the radio lost sound as well which had me scratching my head. I popped the cassette back out and played around with the settings and turned it off and back on again without the heat running. This didn't work out too well either, I now have to hold the PRO button on the left above AM/FM for it to even play off the cassette adapter. When I do this it plays back flawlessly but I can't drive and hold it there, nor should I have to. My Fast forward light is always on as well even when it's not set to that. I'm assuming it might have a possible grounding issue or some sort of wiring crossing?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll be tackling this issue tomorrow as well.

#19,014 ·
Got my side steps today. These are in great shape with absolutely no rust. I'll clean them up, shoot them with body color and get some new treads on them. Must be great being a Jeep fan out West!
Those steps are in great shape. My originals became mangled as all heck from wheeling and took them off in the early 90's. Now I have a replacement set I bought from a forum member a few years back that lived in rust free zone of Texas.

I know they make new 3M treads that can be bought but I made my own based on exact dimensions of originals. I can scan the measurements if you like.

#19,015 ·
keith460 said:
Those steps are in great shape. My originals became mangled as all heck from wheeling and took them off in the early 90's. Now I have a replacement set I bought from a forum member a few years back that lived in rust free zone of Texas. I know they make new 3M treads that can be bought but I made my own based on exact dimensions of originals. I can scan the measurements if you like. http://s123.photobucket.com/user/keith460/media/84 Jeep Project/IMG_0015.jpg.html
Keith,
I would like to have the measurements if you don't mind. Also where did you get the material?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#19,016 ·
Those steps are in great shape. My originals became mangled as all heck from wheeling and took them off in the early 90's. Now I have a replacement set I bought from a forum member a few years back that lived in rust free zone of Texas.

I know they make new 3M treads that can be bought but I made my own based on exact dimensions of originals. I can scan the measurements if you like.

Yes, a scan of the measurements would be great! I've already got the step locations based on another one of your posts. I'm thinking I can get the material I need from a skateboard shop. When you bolted yours on, did you need to reinforce the sheet metal at all on your replitub?

#19,018 ·
This week a Brother Soldier with whom I had served with for 10 Years was killed in a home invasion. His funeral was this afternoon. In honor of him I drove the CJ5 to the church and cemetary. 50 degrees and no full top and I didn't feel a bit cold!