Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your CJ today?

3M views 32K replies 3K participants last post by  rixcj 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread was floating around in the TJ forum when I was down there......so I'm stealing it.....

What did you do to your CJ today?

#18,122 ·
Another on trail wedding repair of lower control arm mounts. These rusted off, and there was nothing I could with it. Got it to the parking area, and went and got my trailer.

Hey Skiz you ought to keep a good size plastic tarp with you to work off of when you're welding on something in a wet area like that. My uncle was doing something similar years ago and he died. Being wet and welding don't mix very well my friend :thumbsup:

#18,123 ·
skizriz said:
Used the on board air, and on board welder to do a SOA on my trailer. Got tired of it being so low and dragging everywhere I go. Not to mention all of the weight on the rear tires from being nose up. It only sits 1/4" high in the front now, empty. http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/skizriz/media/IMG_20150805_154152664_HDR.jpg.html http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/skizriz/media/IMG_20150805_175115094.jpg.html http://s1179.photobucket.com/user/skizriz/media/IMG_20150805_190341714_HDR.jpg.html
I'm curious why you didn't just put a lower receiver/ball on the truck?

BTW, I'm headed to Silver Lake with some friends on the 17,18, and 19th of Sept.

#18,124 ·
Hey Skiz you ought to keep a good size plastic tarp with you to work off of when you're welding on something in a wet area like that. My uncle was doing something similar years ago and he died. Being wet and welding don't mix very well my friend :thumbsup:
Very sound advice.
I usually do, but it was one of those "easy trips" so I didn't load the Jeep up with a lot of extras.
I do have a toggle switch on a 10' lead that controls power to the alternator/welder. I always have somebody with it in their hand to turn it on and off as needed.
I'll have to buy a 4x8 tarp, and leave it packed away for welding purpose only.

#18,125 ·
I'm curious why you didn't just put a lower receiver/ball on the truck?

BTW, I'm headed to Silver Lake with some friends on the 17,18, and 19th of Sept.
I had a 4" drop, and it wasn't even close. Needed about 3" more. With my weight distributing hitch as low as it will go, the top of the ball is about 1" above receiver tube. The trailer was just too low. Other than having to use the ramps now, having it higher is a big plus. Some places we go have pretty rough roads going in.

I'm already planting a bug on the ears of all of the guys for another trip next year.
Can't wait...

#18,126 ·
Ran dedicated grounds for everything from the dash forward, and spliced out some wires that looked like this (lower right). I didn't really have lights before, and this was at least PART of the reason. Sorry, no after pics. Also the plastic wire loom tubing that runs across the grill gave up the ghost some time back....so in terms of "what did I do to my CJ," I learned that I need to replace some wire loom.

Finished up the ground buss bar, too.

And broke off part of the windshield screw thing, which made me very happy. No clue how I'm going to fix that. I didn't have the budget to drop $23 on a replacement...given that I have no intention of ever putting the windshield down except to do maintenance, I'm wondering if I can't just replace them with a normal 1/4-20 bolt? Of course I still face the issue of removing what's left of this one...

Lastly, hit the gas tank skid with a coat of primer. Planning on making it shiny black, so it can look really good while the rest of the Jeep is sitting in my garage getting fixed. Sorry, no pics. Imagine a gas tank, upside down, painted light gray. :p

#18,127 ·
That gas tank skid looks pretty good!

On mine I tried welding the left muffler's outlet back to the body to stop the leak and maybe wear out the muffler eventually, but I made the noise more noticeable since I couldn't get it enough with the driveshaft and such in my way.. at least the tailpipe isn't flopping around now..

Tried connecting the brake switch input to the 5.0's ecm.. after connecting it, noticed my brake lights were barely lit - here an 86 Lincoln MK7 doesn't have that input!! Disconnected it..

Diagnosed why my left brake was half lit when applied... bad LED assembly. There goes another $75...

Unsuccessfully successful day...

#18,130 ·
Completed the TeamRush upgrade... Made me so happy I went ahead and change my back drum brakes and calipers.
:laugh:

I know that feeling.

Then the jeep punishes me for thinking that maybe i could get everything to work at the same time for once. :nono:

Sometimes i get close, then it usually throws an electrical problem at me that takes a month to sort out.

#18,131 ·
After much tinkering, I've come to the realization that I either need to build a fan shroud or install e-fans. I just can not keep this thing cool. After about 10 min of min of messing around out back in the woods I was at 235

#18,132 · (Edited)
I'm just "Bread-Boarding" this idea, so bare w/me. Any advice is welcomed, please, I'm trying to upgrade from my Simplicity Legacy XL 27HP 4x4 Garden Tractor (18 HP @ PTO limits me to 9k amps & works OK during winter,3-5 day power outages )
Started gathering the bits for a rear PTO off the CJ's Dana 20. The Generator head (used & tested $350) is rated at 40k Amps, so I'll need 80 HP @ 540 RPM's for full power. Back to the dyno to see what it will take to get those #s. Should outta power the whole house even w/the A/C ON. Praying I don't have to re-curve the Dist every time I use this!
Another challenge will be to replace all the cordless phones, digital clocks and any other device that draws power while not in use. Contacted Baisley Oil pump springs to see if they can bump idle oil pressure. When I did my killer Harley engine, they really came through for me. More so than a whole new oil pump would have provided & much less hassle!
I insist on them for every engine I do & recommend them to any stock or performance Harley. $13 is indeed cheap insurance!
The unit will be in the barn, vented and well muffled from street trim. Underground lines & transfer box is in. A lineman I ride w/told me that shutting off your electric breaker panel & just pugging into a clothes dryer can still electrocute a power worker trying to restore YOUR power! THOUGHTS?
Sound proofing will come into play, along w/a huge, low RPM fan at the peak to avoid heat/possible stray combustibles.
I salvaged the tractor arms, top & bottom links, and made a 3/8s" plate for the receiver to hold a the generator head & gearbox. But I need the gearbox that divides the 1080 RPMS DOWN TO 540 rpms. And this is not a hard unit to source ($200 used).
If not for this gearbox I would try to run it off the engines front pulleys, somehow. ANYBODY TRY THIS? I'm gonna have to swipe a cogged open primary belt from a Chopper or Blower belt. Hence the rear arms to adjust tension w/o an idler pulley. Kinda wish I had an MSD programmable box now!
Pics to follow.
THIS!!! All started when my 4 stroke weed-eater "S-The Bed" and I started to notice all my small engines were dying off. Final straw: my beloved 2 stroke "White Russian" maker on my boat quit, even though I don't drink. 8 Go-Fasts tied up & no signature cocktail!
Blender comes on, clothes eventually come off!
I blame this new killer fuel & have been slowly switching over to electric, 18V plus units w/spare batteries.
Again, anybody power up a cabin or shack w/a Jeep & have info to share?
Needless to say, paint Gotta wait!

#18,136 ·
My town got a grant to put in LED stoplights. Now when it snows, w/no heat, from the old bulbs to melt the snow, the windward side gets covered w/snow & you can't tell what color is lit up. Has anybody encountered this problem w/front or rear signal lights? I would imagine the fronts would clog up rather quickly. But since I have NO knowledge on this subject, I'm anxious to hear from those using them.
Pros/Cons?

#18,138 ·
^^Man, that is one clean, healthy looking tub!!^^ Very nice!

Is that original, or were replacement panel installed?

Rich

#18,139 ·
I'm just "Bread-Boarding" this idea, so bare w/me. Any advice is welcomed, please, I'm trying to upgrade from my Simplicity Legacy XL 27HP 4x4 Garden Tractor (18 HP @ PTO limits me to 9k amps & works OK during winter,3-5 day power outages )
Started gathering the bits for a rear PTO off the CJ's Dana 20. The Generator head (used & tested $350) is rated at 40k Amps, so I'll need 80 HP @ 540 RPM's for full power. Back to the dyno to see what it will take to get those #s. Should outta power the whole house even w/the A/C ON. Praying I don't have to re-curve the Dist every time I use this!
Another challenge will be to replace all the cordless phones, digital clocks and any other device that draws power while not in use. Contacted Baisley Oil pump springs to see if they can bump idle oil pressure. When I did my killer Harley engine, they really came through for me. More so than a whole new oil pump would have provided & much less hassle!
I insist on them for every engine I do & recommend them to any stock or performance Harley. $13 is indeed cheap insurance!
The unit will be in the barn, vented and well muffled from street trim. Underground lines & transfer box is in. A lineman I ride w/told me that shutting off your electric breaker panel & just pugging into a clothes dryer can still electrocute a power worker trying to restore YOUR power! THOUGHTS?
Sound proofing will come into play, along w/a huge, low RPM fan at the peak to avoid heat/possible stray combustibles.
I salvaged the tractor arms, top & bottom links, and made a 3/8s" plate for the receiver to hold a the generator head & gearbox. But I need the gearbox that divides the 1080 RPMS DOWN TO 540 rpms. And this is not a hard unit to source ($200 used).
If not for this gearbox I would try to run it off the engines front pulleys, somehow. ANYBODY TRY THIS? I'm gonna have to swipe a cogged open primary belt from a Chopper or Blower belt. Hence the rear arms to adjust tension w/o an idler pulley. Kinda wish I had an MSD programmable box now!
Pics to follow.
THIS!!! All started when my 4 stroke weed-eater "S-The Bed" and I started to notice all my small engines were dying off. Final straw: my beloved 2 stroke "White Russian" maker on my boat quit, even though I don't drink. 8 Go-Fasts tied up & no signature cocktail!
Blender comes on, clothes eventually come off!
I blame this new killer fuel & have been slowly switching over to electric, 18V plus units w/spare batteries.
Again, anybody power up a cabin or shack w/a Jeep & have info to share?
Needless to say, paint Gotta wait!
I'm interested and want to hear more about this. Pics for sure. Please keep me posted as this develops. And yes, you need to disconnect from the grid if you produce your own power as I looked into solar and wind electricity for my place in TX.