What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 867 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #12991
54willysjeep
1954 CJ3B 

put the taillights on my 54 and did some engine work for the cooling system and painted the air filter housing. and drove it around the neighborhood for fun. I put the hood on it for S's and giggles to see what it would look like today I will bolt it on.

54willysjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #12992
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Nice...
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #12993
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Made the new front driveshaft today. Made it to replace the one at the top of the picture. It needed to be about 2" longer, and the slip joint was torn up because of it.
I used the double cardan yolk off of the short one, and the slip joint and shaft off of the long one.

Slip joint comparison at ride height.

Much better than it was. Very,very slight vibration at about 65 mph,way better than it was though. I'll drop it off to get balanced at a local shop the next time I have it off. I cruise at 55 so it's nothing I am in a hurry to get done.

Not too bad for a dummy with no clue as to what he's doing.
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #12994
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Nice to have those bits around when you need them, eh?
In that last pic is that carbon fiber or unobtanium guarding the oil pan?
I put my re-enforcement plate on the inside.

Seriously, nice work, and thanks for the heads up on those shaft parts.
You sure know how to fab up some nice stuff before it goes boom!
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #12995
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I had always thought the oil pan skid plate was factory.
It did make a nice place to jack up the motor to change out the motor mounts.

Thanks for the words, I didn't have a clue whether I could actually pull it off or not.
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #12996
Havasu Living

1980 CJ7 

converting to hydraulic clutch, made the slave bracket. This is the push type slave, might go with the pull if I can't get the exhaust to work.
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #12997
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Made the new front driveshaft today. Made it to replace the one at the top of the picture. It needed to be about 2" longer, and the slip joint was torn up because of it.
I used the double cardan yolk off of the short one, and the slip joint and shaft off of the long one.

Slip joint comparison at ride height.

Much better than it was. Very,very slight vibration at about 65 mph,way better than it was though. I'll drop it off to get balanced at a local shop the next time I have it off. I cruise at 55 so it's nothing I am in a hurry to get done.

Not too bad for a dummy with no clue as to what he's doing.

Ok, now that you have forged the way, what were your indicators that the slip joint was bad? I have LOTS of play in my front shaft, I can push it with my finger at least 1/2" or more. I am not sure if it is too short or simply worn out.

Nice work BTW! Brave indeed. And all this with stick?

We need to do a bake sale to raise money for a "get skiz a wire feeder" fund. He deserves it. LOL
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #12998
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Built a rack for my high lift. I did not want it mounted outside of the Jeep so it would collect dirt/mud. I did not like any of the off the shelf mounts for inside. Something about not wanting a jack hitting me in the head during a roll over...

So, I built my own.
img_1852.jpg   img_1854.jpg   img_1855.jpg   img_1856.jpg   img_1858.jpg  

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #12999
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS

Ok, now that you have forged the way, what were your indicators that the slip joint was bad? I have LOTS of play in my front shaft, I can push it with my finger at least 1/2" or more. I am not sure if it is too short or simply worn out.

Nice work BTW! Brave indeed. And all this with stick?

We need to do a bake sale to raise money for a "get skiz a wire feeder" fund. He deserves it. LOL
Yep. I could grab the shaft and wiggle it about 1/2" or so. It should be nice and tight.
The slip joint is about 3" long.both shafts now sit with 1" showing instead of the 2.5 they had showing before.
The rear driveshaft wouldn't even collapse at the slip joint when I took it off yesterday. It must have eventually locked up from being overextended somehow.
Two new driveshafts from $75 in picked parts.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #13000
Brown80CJ5

1980 CJ5 

Put Bilsteins on all 4 corners (much nicer ride, but a pain to compress when mounting), also looked at my steering once again. A couple months ago I took her to get completely looked over and the shop found that almost all tiered ends needed replacing and my caster was off, so they fixed it all and I went about my business. After getting it back I swapped in a new steering gear and my steering seemed to get worse, bad wandering at 30-55mph. Looked at it and the shims they put in gave me 9 degrees of caster (yes too much is a bad thing) and my toe-in was nonexistent (if anything it had 1/16 toe-out). Put in new shims which brought me to 5 degrees and made toe-in 2/32 per side, she drives MUCH better now. Won't be going back there ever again.
Brown80CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #13001
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Guess what, another Jeep Project!

Well here is a project that I have been wanted to do since I took the aftermarket steering stabilizer off. The steering has been fine with no problems, but it was just one more original part that I could put back on the Jeep.

The first step was to find a stabilizer shock that was configured like the original stablizer shock was. There were a number of posts that said there were none, and a number of inventive ideas on how to create a loop instead of a hole for the end of the shock to mount to, including gate post eye bolts. It turns out there are a number of manufactures that make the correct shock, I went with Monroe, part number SC2940 which turns out to be a Tenneco Steering Stabilizer shock.

While I was searching for that I found and original stabilizer setup on Fee-Bay listed by, and I will use his own words, "from a shady overpriced fleabay vender today" who turns out to be one of our own MoC

I had an number of the original stabilizer brackets but did not have the small backing plate that goes around the tie rod, you don't need it , but I'm a nut so I had to have it. First step was to clean everything up. (glass bead, powder coat, and of course two different colors with clear)

So while I was at it I cleaned up the brackets I had along with a set of aftermarket bumperets I ended up with, anyone want so extra parts?

So on to the Jeep install, first step was to find the center of travel of the tie rod, turned out the total travel was 5 and 7/8 inches, so the center was 2 and 15/16 inches. This is good as the total travel of the shock is 6 and 3/4 which means the shock does not limit the steering radius

Now on to the setup of the stabilizer, using the restoration bible the correct configuration was found and a mockup was done.

So, everything done by the book, All parts (brackets) are original stock parts, everything mocked up, so everything should fit, correct, wrong!

In a full right turn the tie rod to stabilizer bracket hits the differential (spindles are stock as are the spindle arms) Tie rod is a Moog part, but that should not make a difference as the location holes in the spindle arms have not been changed. I'm not sure how to fix this.

In a full left turn the ends of the bolts hit the stabilizer shock, I can gain some clearance by grinding the ends of the bolt off, and by clocking the stabilizer so that the bolt ends are equally spaced around the stabilizer, but then it is not parallel with the tie rod. For now I will do a little of all these things. I need your input to get this correct.

As usual a full update has been added to my web site with additional pictures and text at this link

http://www.leverfamilysite.com/1984_...2013_06_15.htm

I NEED YOUR INPUT!

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #13002
WSS
1972 CJ5 

I completely understand your reason to be by the book and stock. You may have to fudge a little here. I had the same problem on mine with two diff covers, stock and a BTF. I had to outboard mount mine on the opposite side of the leaf spring (driver side). Here are some pics:

in post #61, OleBlue73 graciously posted a pic of his solution, I moved mine to that location and all is good:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ou...11/index5.html
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #13003
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I completely understand your reason to be by the book and stock. You may have to fudge a little here. I had the same problem on mine with two diff covers, stock and a BTF. I had to outboard mount mine on the opposite side of the leaf spring (driver side). Here are some pics:

in post #61, OleBlue73 graciously posted a pic of his solution, I moved mine to that location and all is good:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ou...11/index5.html

Well I really hate giving up so I went back and made some modifications

The nuts were hitting th shocl because they were sapced out away from the bracket by a heavey spacer and the spacer was required because the shaft of the u-bolt was not threaded all the way down, so.....

I threaded the shaft all the way down, now without the spacer and the shaft trimmed off, they no longer hit the body of the shock, maybe the Moog tie rod is a little thicker than stock tie rod and the body of the shock has a bigger diameter than the original shock which caused the problem. The picture makes it look like the bracket is touching the body of the shock, but it is not.

To fix the problem with the bracket hitting the differential what I did was turn the wheel all the way to the left (up against the spindle stop) and than move the shock to within a 1/16 of bottoming out, and clamp everything down, now when I turn to the right up against the right spindle stop the bracket does not hit the differential. I know the shock is not centered in it's travel, but it is not bottoming out either

Now everything is nice and level and parallel.

Now after all this work it is time to take it for a ride and see if I shot myself in the foot or made it better, want take a guess?

Unread 06-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #13004
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Ya, it is a better ride than a Caddy! Does that page you took a picture of show anymore details on the front wheel alignment? I have some old school alignment tools for big trucks and would like to give it whirl to see if they work better than my eye and feel.

WSS

ps, nice solution, cutting some threads, a fair balance of stock/modified.
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #13005
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post

ps, nice solution, cutting some threads, a fair balance of stock/modified.
I have a second set of u-bolts if I ever figure out how to get it to work by the book.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.