Went to the local "Jeep parts guy" and dug around through his pile of old driveshafts. Picked up three shafts for $75.
Shaft number one was to replace my rear. The slip joint was about at the end of it's range, and flexing the suspension out was starting to take it's toll on it.
Shaft two and three are to build a front shaft to replace my long double cardan shaft. One is a single U-joint shaft that is too long, and the other is a double cardan that is too short.
Being too stoopid to know any better, I decided to try and do them myself.
The rear being a "cut it shorter only" and seemingly easier, I decided to see what I could do with it first.
The old rear shaft.
The new shaft, chopped off to make it easier to cut the yolk off.
Cut to size, and ready to be welded. Once I got the yolk in, it was maybe 1/2 degree out of phaze. I didn't know if that would hurt, but I couldn't get it to move, so that's where it was going to stay.
Four nice tack welds with a 6011 rod 180* apart to keep everything straight. Then filled in the rest with 7018. Ground any thick lumps of weld down just enough to try to keep it in balance.
I put in some spare u-joints I had in the parts box, and installed it. ( I just noticed upside down)
I'm going to pull it back out anyhow to replace the cheapo joints I had for emergency spares with some good ones.
I didn't want to put in good ones until I found out if it was going to be a waste of money or not.
At rest with 1" of slip joint exposed. Took it for a test ride down the highway at 60 mph and it was as smooth as butter. I don't see any issues with it not being just as strong as it ever was.
Now to try and tackle the long double cardan shaft on the front tomorrow.