What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 857 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 05-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #12841
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Tore into my rear axle today... Figured out why it went BOOM the other day..

View that greeted me as i pulled the diff cover..

Custom machine work...

The pinion gear thinks its from West Virginia... its missing teef

Getting it all cleaned up, ready to put the new gears and locker in it the next couple of days.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #12842
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Started working on the Dana 300. Tried to figure out how to remove the shift rails but got completely confused and gave up for the day to do more research. Anyone done this before and can help?
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #12843
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Tore into my rear axle today... Figured out why it wend BOOM the other day..
Ouch. Did the cross shaft simply snap in two?? I mean before all of the other carnage.
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #12844
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

That is what it looks like. Funny thing is, I was on pavement, cruising along about 45mph, almost no load when it exploded. Locked the rear wheels. That was "fun"

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #12845
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
That is what it looks like. Funny thing is, I was on pavement, cruising along about 45mph, almost no load when it exploded. Locked the rear wheels. That was "fun"
bet it was "fun" LOL Do you have flat spots on your tires now or just a mark on your seat cushion?
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #12846
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Installed my light bar
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #12847
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
bet it was "fun" LOL Do you have flat spots on your tires now or just a mark on your seat cushion?
I've always had drag marks in my shorts....

Tires are fine. It was a short skid.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #12848
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I have updated my web site with a full update on this project.
http://www.leverfamilysite.com/1984_...2013_05_20.htm

Jeep Forum thread on this project is here
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/we...97/index6.html

So this is what we started with, AMC ignition box and computer are gone, MSD box has replaced it with the stock distributor and coil. So basically a stock set up.

This 32/36 was purchased with the the O.E. air filter ADAPTOR 99010.600 so that the stock air filter could be used.

Here they are side by side, note the throttle linkage is different and the 38 has studs for the Weber air filter. Also note the straight mechanical linkage on the 38. The expert that is guiding me installed .50MM Idle Jets, 1.45 MM Main Jets, 1.70 MM Air Corrector Jets, f7 Emulsion tubes, Vitro tip need valve.

Swapping the throttle linkage was very simple as I had followed the instruction when it was installed so it came apart very easily

Next was the studs on the new 38. they had to be removed and the holes drilled and taped to accept the larger bolts for the air filter adapter. Again not a big thing so long as you have the correct metric tap.

The next difference was there is only one vacuum port on the 38 while the 32/36 has two. One is delayed vacuum (not ported) and the other is not and was used for the vacuum to control the functions on the charcoal vapor canister. Again not a big thing I will just pick up the vacuum from the intake manifold for this purpose.

Also note that the fuel inlet on the 38 is on the opposite side of the 32/36. A new fuel line will have to be made up.

Next problem was the bracket for the throttle cable linkage would not sit down on the base because the barrel of the carburetor is bigger. A little grinding solved that problem.

Ok, so I "T" into the vacuum for the air filter to supply vacuum to the charcoal vapor canister, and you can see the new fuel line.

Test drove it with out any adjustments and it stalls at stop signs. Seems to rev better, but did not take it up on the expressway to check power above 45. Acceleration is not smooth, seems doggy in lower rpm then bogs down then picks up and goes pretty good.

With out adjustments I seem to have the opposite of what I had, with the 32/36, it was good on the lower end with lots of torque, but dead on the upper end, now with the 38/38 it stalls in the lower end, doggy down low but seems to pick up in the upper end.

I have been properly scolded for not adjusting it before test drive.

I spent some time adjusting.

I found that I could turn the idle speed screw in a 1/4 turn more before the vacuum registered on the delayed port. This allowed me to get the Jeep to idle without having to hold the peddle.

I checked the timing and found that it was at a static 6 degrees, bumped it up to 8 and then had to reduce the idle speed screw by almost a half turn to get the idle down to 500. There is zero vacuum at the delay port and I can screw the idle speed screw out and 1/8 of a turn before vacuum is registered on the gauge. So the idle screw is now 1/8 in before vacuum registers (every expert makes a big point on this).

INTERESTING point, the delayed port only develops 15 pounds of vacuum, while the manifold vacuum is close to 20. I'm wondering if I am getting full vacuum advance with the reduced vacuum for the delay port on the carburetor.

The 38 has adjustable low speed jets (32/36 does not), they were bench set at 1 1/2 turns, with an tachometer I found the "Best Lean Idle" by bracketing the fall off of RPM to be 1 1/4 turns out.

Test drove again, it does not stall, pulls pretty go, but not great, there is a small weak spot at about 1/3 throttle, seems to pull pretty good in the upper RPM 2,000 to 3,000 range. I am out of time and will have to try the highway tomorrow.

When I got back I added an additional 2 degrees in timing, now at 10.

Maybe this will remove the weak spot at 1/3 throttle????

More later.

Questions?

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #12849
ETthomehomw
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20
Installed my light bar
Nice! If I put that in my CJ it would probably double the value.
ETthomehomw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #12850
PirateQM
1982 CJ7 

Little late in posting this, but...

Changed out the wiring harness in the engine compartment, installed a new ignition module (there were two in there, the original with all the wax melted off and the "newer one" which was not meant for a CJ, ugh!), and removed the old air filter and carb... changing it out with a new Webber.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]'[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]97 TJ (Polaris) Long gone, but not forgotten.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]'85 CJ7 (LiL Dragon) Hauled away to be scrapped. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Cyan"]'82 CJ7 (Echo)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
PirateQM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #12851
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Installed team rush upgrades with parts from NAPA, got some Autolite 66's.. wait what? they don't fit because my socket cant get around them and fit down into the engine at the same time?! how lovely!
smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #12852
JDChris
1957 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Good job on the dash. I've been working on my Dad's '72 CJ5 and have been thinking about replacing the dash with a new one. The old one is so hacked up..
Thanks! Don't zoom in, or you might see how horrible my bondo skills are. Morris has some blank and pre-cut dash panels. I really want a new panel to match my tub (a '57), but apparently they don't exist.
JDChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #12853
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I was just going to CNC Plasma cut one...

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #12854
Alex77cj7
1977 CJ7 

Worked on my Dana 300 some more! Got the shift rail out and ground it down to where I can use front wheel drive high.

image-2122826056.jpg
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #12855
PirateQM
1982 CJ7 

Yesterday, started on changing out the carburetor. Got stuck on removing the manifold studs, wouldn't budge. So today, grabbed a can of PB Blaster and started on them again with the double nut method... first one came off no problem...

...then tried the remaining three... nuts and studs stripped...

Ordered a stud remover online... waiting impatiently.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]'[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]97 TJ (Polaris) Long gone, but not forgotten.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]'85 CJ7 (LiL Dragon) Hauled away to be scrapped. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Cyan"]'82 CJ7 (Echo)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
PirateQM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.