What did you do to your CJ today? - Page 851 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What did you do to your CJ today?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 05-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #12751
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Two things: adjusted my clutch cable linkage - was grinding when I shifted into reverse or first. Found there was next to no movement happening at the fork. Works much better now. And then I tore down and rebuilt my lawn mower. Late 70's/early 80's high school shop classes rule!

Unread 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #12752
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Skiz, are those 6" centers from Besrk? I added way to much weight to mine and need a little "pick me up".

WSS

PS, like the maan cave decor.
They are 5" centers. When I set my caster angle, I did it with 4" shackles, and had about 8*. I figure I can pull off the 5" shackles with no problems.

They are a nice beefy 3/8 thick. Not a bad deal for $50 to do all four ends.
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #12753
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Got the new shackles on. Took about an hour total. Lifting the Jeep with my engine hoist saved a lot of time and effort.

I'd highly recommend Besrk's shackles if you are looking for an economical replacement that doesn't skimp on the "beef". They are 2" wide, and 3/8" thick.
Sold unpainted, and without hardware to keep the cost low. I planned to made my own, but for $50 it wasn't worth it for me to drill all of the 1/2" holes.
All said and done, I'm into all four shackles for $75.

The cross brace really makes a difference. I had 4" shackles with no bracing before. What I gave up in caster by going longer, I gained more by stiffening them up. A jaunt down the highway at 70 mph had me sold.
Money well spent.
0509031847.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #12754
Drugcop4
1981 CJ5 

Interior

Unread 05-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #12755
cstovall80

Tool my huge change jar to the coinstar, got 138$ bucks worth on an amazon giftcard, no surcharge, bought 4 skyjacker 7000s to replace stocks, should be in next week

cstovall80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #12756
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Nice!
matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #12757
sarfu
1974 CJ5 

Tweaked my timing and carb adjustments after installing a new carb, fuel pump and filter. can't stop fiddling with the adjustments now that I know how
sarfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #12758
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

Got a delivery from Morris 4x4.

Rubber hood bump stops. This should stop the metal to metal contact. Should have done it sooner.

New Cowl Seal. Probably going to wait until I go to paint to put this one. The old one is shot, but its a PITA to take the softtop off just to put one on now. Besides its California. We won't see rain for another 6 months now.

Air duct. Wrong diameter. Its for a 77-later, was hoping it might work. Sending it back.

Sun Visors. Too wide. Won't fit between my rear view mirror and roll cage. Really don't need them now that I think about it. I sit pretty high in the Jeep and I'm fairly sure the visors would just block my vision.

BestTop protection kit. Probably could have used over the shelf cleaners, but I spent a lot of money on my new softtop and figured I couldn't go wrong with their cleaning products.

Still waiting on my Fresh air box drain hose from CARid.com, so I can at least finish that project.
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #12759
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

I drove it!

Fixed most of my idle problem I think. Bunch of vacuum leaks and hoses hooked up wrong. Think I will try to change the egr valve still. Don't think it is sealing off all the time and is causing random idle problems. Anybody got tips on cleaning valve part. Didnt have much luck

Last night I put in a new charcoal canister. Used a 93 cherokee canister and modified it per the write up I found here. We will see if the wife notices a difference. Old one was shot and not hooked up.

Couple weeks ago a made a mesh top for the Jeep from some scrap I had from my Patio cover. Goes over the full cage all the way down to the tailgate. Pic won't post right now.
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #12760
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Put a new pinion seal and outer bearing in the front diff. The seal leaked, and there was a little slop in the bearing, I'm hoping to get it to last until winter and swap out both axles.
Had a heck of a time getting the pinion nut off. Tried an impact gun, it wouldn't budge. Tried a 3/4 drive breaker bar, it just wrapped up the leaf springs.
Had to make a tool to get the job done, as usual. Locked it against the springs, put on the breaker bar and a piece of pipe,and it finally came loose.

Put in some fresh oil to replace the old stuff that looked to be about 75% water.Hopefully it will get me by for a few more months.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #12761
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz
Put a new pinion seal and outer bearing in the front diff. The seal leaked, and there was a little slop in the bearing, I'm hoping to get it to last until winter and swap out both axles.
Had a heck of a time getting the pinion nut off. Tried an impact gun, it wouldn't budge. Tried a 3/4 drive breaker bar, it just wrapped up the leaf springs.
Had to make a tool to get the job done, as usual. Locked it against the springs, put on the breaker bar and a piece of pipe,and it finally came loose.

Put in some fresh oil to replace the old stuff that looked to be about 75% water.Hopefully it will get me by for a few more months.
Well done!!! I treasure my cheater bar pipe. Not something that you think you'll need until in that situation.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #12762
79cherokee

Nothing exciting but installing new support shocks on my old acme hard top so I can quit using a stick to hold the lift gate up. It's the little things in life that make me happy.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #12763
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Well I ripped out my NT D30 and installed my Superlift 4" Wagoneer front springs.After removing the smallest leaf I still think in gonna get another 2.5-3 inches over my 2.5 BDS lift. I also un hooked me WT D30 from my 84 cj7 to put in my cj5.

Tomorrow morning with help I'm gonna do some axle carrying then bolt them both in their opposist vehicles. once I get the front end of my cj5 back on the ground, I'll swap in a second set of wagonner front springs onto my 9" ford out back. Once its rolling(not driving) Ill see what kind of brake lines, driveshafts, and pitman arm I'll need to get it on the road.

Itll be interesting to see what a cj looks like with 5-6" lift spring under axle.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #12764
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post

Your tool is neat. mine is exactly the same only it slides around the yoke instead of bolting to it. Pretty cool man.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #12765
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Made some great progress on Dad's 72 CJ-5.

Fixed the tank, cleaned and painted it.

Ran new fuel hard lines.

Installed HEI distributor.

Ran the plug wires. Still may tweak them a bit.
img_1736.jpg   img_1737.jpg   img_1739.jpg  

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.